May Parker: Spider-Girl >> View Thread

Author
David




As my back issues are starting to roll in, I wanted to ask, is there any particular order in which the stories take place? (I don't mean within the Spider-Girl series -- I mean J2, A-Next, etc.) Does J2 1-12 take place between (say) Spider-Girl 5 and 6, or what? Since I'm getting all of these at the same time...

David


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
jarkoer




> As my back issues are starting to roll in, I wanted to ask, is there any particular order in which the stories take place? (I don't mean within the Spider-Girl series -- I mean J2, A-Next, etc.) Does J2 1-12 take place between (say) Spider-Girl 5 and 6, or what? Since I'm getting all of these at the same time...
>
> David

J2 and A-Next were published at the same (real) time as Spider-Girl #1-12. However both J2 and A-Next have cameos in the original What If #105 story. So (continuity-wise) they already existed before Spider-Girl. But for how long? I don't know.

Continuity-wise, J2's origin predates A-Next (since by A-Next #1 he already had his powers) though not by much as there's a cross-over between J2 and A-Next in #3. So I'm guessing, in terms of continuity, J2 had just received his powers when A-Next formed up.

Fantastic Five and Wild Thing were published concurrently with Spider-Girl #13-#17, and so I'm guessing that they happen at about that same time.

The Buzz mini happens at some point between Spider-Girl #12 and #24. That's a guess based off of Mayday's hairstyle at the time. I'll have to check the back issues to give a more accurate placement, but it happens at the same time that Jack Jameson makes his first appearance in Spider-Girl.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
David




Ah, so they more or less take place when they were published?

> J2 and A-Next were published at the same (real) time as Spider-Girl #1-12. However both J2 and A-Next have cameos in the original What If #105 story. So (continuity-wise) they already existed before Spider-Girl. But for how long? I don't know.
>
> Continuity-wise, J2's origin predates A-Next (since by A-Next #1 he already had his powers) though not by much as there's a cross-over between J2 and A-Next in #3. So I'm guessing, in terms of continuity, J2 had just received his powers when A-Next formed up.
>
> Fantastic Five and Wild Thing were published concurrently with Spider-Girl #12-#16, and so I'm guessing that they happen at about that same time.
>
> The Buzz mini happens at some point between Spider-Girl #12 and #24. That's a guess based off of Mayday's hairstyle at the time.


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
jarkoer




> Ah, so they more or less take place when they were published?

Yep. I believe that's correct of all the various MC2 series and minis. The only exception is that--going by story continuity instead of publication date--J2 #1 predates A-Next #1, and A-Next #1 predates What If #105. I'm not sure by how long, though. But I'm assuming that at some point after their debut issues their continuity ran concurrently with Spider-Girl.

>
> > J2 and A-Next were published at the same (real) time as Spider-Girl #1-12. However both J2 and A-Next have cameos in the original What If #105 story. So (continuity-wise) they already existed before Spider-Girl. But for how long? I don't know.
> >
> > Continuity-wise, J2's origin predates A-Next (since by A-Next #1 he already had his powers) though not by much as there's a cross-over between J2 and A-Next in #3. So I'm guessing, in terms of continuity, J2 had just received his powers when A-Next formed up.
> >
> > Fantastic Five and Wild Thing were published concurrently with Spider-Girl #12-#16, and so I'm guessing that they happen at about that same time.
> >
> > The Buzz mini happens at some point between Spider-Girl #12 and #24. That's a guess based off of Mayday's hairstyle at the time.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
CloneSaga/Spidergirl Fan




The flashback origin story in DarkDevil #1-3(available in the Darkdevil/Buzz digest!)takes place before Spider-Girl. I'd read Darkdevil BEFORE What if #105/SG #0 and up.

> Ah, so they more or less take place when they were published?
>
> > J2 and A-Next were published at the same (real) time as Spider-Girl #1-12. However both J2 and A-Next have cameos in the original What If #105 story. So (continuity-wise) they already existed before Spider-Girl. But for how long? I don't know.
> >
> > Continuity-wise, J2's origin predates A-Next (since by A-Next #1 he already had his powers) though not by much as there's a cross-over between J2 and A-Next in #3. So I'm guessing, in terms of continuity, J2 had just received his powers when A-Next formed up.
> >
> > Fantastic Five and Wild Thing were published concurrently with Spider-Girl #12-#16, and so I'm guessing that they happen at about that same time.
> >
> > The Buzz mini happens at some point between Spider-Girl #12 and #24. That's a guess based off of Mayday's hairstyle at the time.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> The flashback origin story in DarkDevil #1-3(available in the Darkdevil/Buzz digest!)takes place before Spider-Girl. I'd read Darkdevil BEFORE What if #105/SG #0 and up.

But didn't the main story take place in the "present"? It's been years since I last read it.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> > Ah, so they more or less take place when they were published?
>
> Yep. I believe that's correct of all the various MC2 series and minis. The only exception is that--going by story continuity instead of publication date--J2 #1 predates A-Next #1, and A-Next #1 predates What If #105. I'm not sure by how long, though. But I'm assuming that at some point after their debut issues their continuity ran concurrently with Spider-Girl.

More or less. Sometimes it was precise like Fantastic Five vol 1 #3 taking place between Spider-Girl #15 and #16 (it was released between the two if I recall correctly). Other times the release schedule is played a bit looser, like the recent A-Next mini-series.

Spider-Girl annual 1999 is between #12 and 13.

I can't remember when #1/2 takes place, but I'm pretty sure they got it right in the digests. Somewhere around the late teens I think.

Spider-Girl #51 was an inventory story which I figured out to take place between #33 and #34. (That's right isn't it? I'm going by memory.) Anyway, whatever the issues were someone must have followed my suggestion because it ended up that way in the digests.

Last Hero Standing #1-5 takes place between Spider-Girl #88 and #89 (just don't ask me what Big Brain's doing in the mini). The Spider-Man Family story takes place somewhere before LHS.

Last Planet Standing takes place between Spider-Girl #100 and Amazing Spider-Girl #1.

The Avengers Next mini-series doesn't take place all in one spot. I think #1-2 were before ASG #1 and #3-5 were between ASG #2 and 3. I'd have to check, but that sounds about right doesn't it?


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
CloneSaga/Spidergirl Fan




Yes, but it should be read first in the timeline for the crucial flashback scenes. If it's not read first when reading the MC2 books, you'll have an incomplete history going into it. The flashbacks, and the "present" scenes with Kaine and the Scriers help establish that SG is truly the baby that was stolen during Revelations then rescued.



> But didn't the main story take place in the "present"? It's been years since I last read it.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> Yes, but it should be read first in the timeline for the crucial flashback scenes. If it's not read first when reading the MC2 books, you'll have an incomplete history going into it. The flashbacks, and the "present" scenes with Kaine and the Scriers help establish that SG is truly the baby that was stolen during Revelations then rescued.

Yeah, but the backstory is a reveal. Ideally a new reader should go into the early Spider-Girl digests without knowing Darkdevil's history.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Wildpride




> > Yes, but it should be read first in the timeline for the crucial flashback scenes. If it's not read first when reading the MC2 books, you'll have an incomplete history going into it. The flashbacks, and the "present" scenes with Kaine and the Scriers help establish that SG is truly the baby that was stolen during Revelations then rescued.
>
> Yeah, but the backstory is a reveal. Ideally a new reader should go into the early Spider-Girl digests without knowing Darkdevil's history.

I don't know, I went into Spider-Girl knowing Darkdevil's history. Knowing what I knew made a lot of the early stuff with Kaine even better, IMHO. But it is a cool twist, too, so I see your point.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows 2000
CloneSaga/Spidergirl Fan




I don't want to start an argument here, but who do you think it would be ideal for to not know important history between Kaine and Darkdevil when they first read about them together during SG? I know that not every new reader of the MC2 books will be a Clone Saga fan. True, some verbally sell this to potential new readers as independent of the Saga but the past sometimes need to be referenced as important past continuity that is relevant to the current characters in the time of the MC2.

And who's to say there are not readers out there who are NOT fans of the Ben Reilly days?

I'm just saying two things in this post:

I. Not everyone who reads the MC2 books is going to be a loather of the Clone Saga, and

II. Darkdevil and Kaine have huge connections to the Clone Saga, but a good chunk of the MC2 comics are not bound overall to that long-running arc. They're important characters in the current issues and rarely mention each others' origins if at all except when necessary. Also they're both good allies for SG.

Again I can understand why you'd be cautious to say read an origin concerning the Clone Saga first, but there are continuity fans who are going to want to know whether or not for sure that SG is really the baby stolen by Norman and rescued by Kaine after Identity Crisis.

>Ideally a new reader should go into the early Spider-Girl digests without knowing Darkdevil's history.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
CloneSaga/Spidergirl Fan




It's ironic that you posted this just as I posted my response right above yours. My response post right above yours illustrated my reasoning as exactly being your higher enjoyment of the MC2 knowing the Darkdevil history going in! Thank you for proving my point!

The first time I read the mini series, I was floored! It took me a year to find all three issues at comic cons but it was worth it! I felt so sad for Elizabeth Tyne after seeing she was never given any parole time for turning herself in after SM: Redemption #4 to the police. I felt she deserved a lot better for trying to clear up her past with the authorities.

> > > Yes, but it should be read first in the timeline for the crucial flashback scenes. If it's not read first when reading the MC2 books, you'll have an incomplete history going into it. The flashbacks, and the "present" scenes with Kaine and the Scriers help establish that SG is truly the baby that was stolen during Revelations then rescued.
> >
> > Yeah, but the backstory is a reveal. Ideally a new reader should go into the early Spider-Girl digests without knowing Darkdevil's history.
>
> I don't know, I went into Spider-Girl knowing Darkdevil's history. Knowing what I knew made a lot of the early stuff with Kaine even better, IMHO. But it is a cool twist, too, so I see your point.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Michael Yuri




> As my back issues are starting to roll in, I wanted to ask, is there any particular order in which the stories take place? (I don't mean within the Spider-Girl series -- I mean J2, A-Next, etc.) Does J2 1-12 take place between (say) Spider-Girl 5 and 6, or what? Since I'm getting all of these at the same time...
>
> David

The attached file contains chronologies for all of the MC2 characters, and is complete through Amazing Spider-Girl #12.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows XP
David




> > As my back issues are starting to roll in, I wanted to ask, is there any particular order in which the stories take place? (I don't mean within the Spider-Girl series -- I mean J2, A-Next, etc.) Does J2 1-12 take place between (say) Spider-Girl 5 and 6, or what? Since I'm getting all of these at the same time...
> >
> > David
>
> The attached file contains chronologies for all of the MC2 characters, and is complete through Amazing Spider-Girl #12.

YES!! This tells me when Wild Thing #0 takes place... THANK YOU!


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Wildpride




> It's ironic that you posted this just as I posted my response right above yours. My response post right above yours illustrated my reasoning as exactly being your higher enjoyment of the MC2 knowing the Darkdevil history going in! Thank you for proving my point!

You're welcome!

> The first time I read the mini series, I was floored! It took me a year to find all three issues at comic cons but it was worth it! I felt so sad for Elizabeth Tyne after seeing she was never given any parole time for turning herself in after SM: Redemption #4 to the police. I felt she deserved a lot better for trying to clear up her past with the authorities.

I feel the same way... especially since Elizabeth just acted in self-defense! But you know, I think what's even sadder is that she couldn't do anything to keep her kid from ending up in a similar situation. Because I'm sure she would have if she could have. But yeah, I feel like she deserved a lot better too. But I guess there's always hope... if she's still alive, I'd really like to see her get out of prison some day. That would be a great story.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows 2000
Crazy Penguin




> I don't want to start an argument here, but who do you think it would be ideal for to not know important history between Kaine and Darkdevil when they first read about them together during SG?

Kaine it doesn't really matter, but Tom wrote Darkdevil's identity as a mystery. Same for The Buzz. A selling point of both minis was to discover who was inside the costumes.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> > > As my back issues are starting to roll in, I wanted to ask, is there any particular order in which the stories take place? (I don't mean within the Spider-Girl series -- I mean J2, A-Next, etc.) Does J2 1-12 take place between (say) Spider-Girl 5 and 6, or what? Since I'm getting all of these at the same time...
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > The attached file contains chronologies for all of the MC2 characters, and is complete through Amazing Spider-Girl #12.
>
> YES!! This tells me when Wild Thing #0 takes place... THANK YOU!

Is that right or is it just guess work?

I think Spider-Man Family is in the wrong place, it should be earlier. May got a new hairstyle in #89.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Michael Yuri




> Is that right or is it just guess work?

It's not official -- it's just my interpretation. I based it on explicit references to other books and reasonable inferences from the stories as much as possible, but where there wasn't enough information my default was to place books as close as possible to publication date.

I think it's pretty accurate, but I'm sure I've made mistakes here or there. I'm certainly receptive to corrections.


> I think Spider-Man Family is in the wrong place, it should be earlier. May got a new hairstyle in #89.

You may be right -- I'll take a look at this later when I have access to my comics. I sometimes miss clues like hairstyles, especially when different artists are involved.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows XP
David




> > It's ironic that you posted this just as I posted my response right above yours. My response post right above yours illustrated my reasoning as exactly being your higher enjoyment of the MC2 knowing the Darkdevil history going in! Thank you for proving my point!
>
> You're welcome!

Well, on the other hand, I will be re-reading all of these for years to come (I can't stand a book I can only enjoy once), so I can get the effect of not knowing the history at first, and then later get the effect of knowing it. \:\) In any case it doesn't sound like huge numbers of things are set at radically different times...

David


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Crazy Penguin




> > I think Spider-Man Family is in the wrong place, it should be earlier. May got a new hairstyle in #89.
>
> You may be right -- I'll take a look at this later when I have access to my comics. I sometimes miss clues like hairstyles, especially when different artists are involved.

It would have to take place before Last Hero Standing too, because May's arm is broken from those events in #89.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Antiyonder




> I don't want to start an argument here, but who do you think it would be ideal for to not know important history between Kaine and Darkdevil when they first read about them together during SG? I know that not every new reader of the MC2 books will be a Clone Saga fan. True, some verbally sell this to potential new readers as independent of the Saga but the past sometimes need to be referenced as important past continuity that is relevant to the current characters in the time of the MC2.

As a former new reader, who didn't have much info of the Clone Saga. Yet, that didn't ruin my enjoyment on coming aboard.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
jarkoer




> I can't remember when #1/2 takes place, but I'm pretty sure they got it right in the digests. Somewhere around the late teens I think.

Going by the hairstyle, I'd say anywhere between #12 and #23.

> Spider-Girl #51 was an inventory story which I figured out to take place between #33 and #34. (That's right isn't it? I'm going by memory.) Anyway, whatever the issues were someone must have followed my suggestion because it ended up that way in the digests.

The hairstyle was right for anything between #24 and #68, but I do remember that somebody had mentioned that MJ wasn't pregnant (or didn't look pregnant and in a wheelchair) in #51, so it had to take place before #34.

> The Avengers Next mini-series doesn't take place all in one spot. I think #1-2 were before ASG #1 and #3-5 were between ASG #2 and 3. I'd have to check, but that sounds about right doesn't it?

Yeah, that sounds good. Like you said, "more or less". \:\-\)

She had her costume back in ASG for a month before A-Next caught up with her. But there's a strong temporal correllation in the continuities between the actual publication dates of ASG and when the minis pop up. So, yeah, it more or less matches up with what was happening in ASG at the time. \:\-\)

Good call on Last Planet! I had forgotten that it was supposed to be the "make it or break it" point for the MC2 Universe. I think Tom had said (maybe half-jokingly or maybe he was serious) that if Spider-Girl were canceled that he would have had Galactus eat the planet. So the events there had to take place after SG #100 and before ASG #1.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
jarkoer




> Going by the hairstyle, I'd say anywhere between #12 and #23.

Correction: #12 and #24.

> The hairstyle was right for anything between #24 and #68,

Correction: #25 and #60-something.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> > I can't remember when #1/2 takes place, but I'm pretty sure they got it right in the digests. Somewhere around the late teens I think.
>
> Going by the hairstyle, I'd say anywhere between #12 and #23.
>
> > Spider-Girl #51 was an inventory story which I figured out to take place between #33 and #34. (That's right isn't it? I'm going by memory.) Anyway, whatever the issues were someone must have followed my suggestion because it ended up that way in the digests.
>
> The hairstyle was right for anything between #24 and #68, but I do remember that somebody had mentioned that MJ wasn't pregnant (or didn't look pregnant and in a wheelchair) in #51, so it had to take place before #34.

I think the hairstyle was introduced in #25 (she was showing it off, so it was definitely recent). By the end of that issue she lost her powers and a few issues after regaining them we had some "the very next day" kind of issues. I remember going through it all carefully a long time ago, it was the only slot the story could fit in. So although entirely unintentional its place in continuity is pretty rigid if you don't want any continuity errors. I'm very glad they put it right in the digests.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> Good call on Last Planet! I had forgotten that it was supposed to be the "make it or break it" point for the MC2 Universe. I think Tom had said (maybe half-jokingly or maybe he was serious) that if Spider-Girl were canceled that he would have had Galactus eat the planet. So the events there had to take place after SG #100 and before ASG #1.

It was confirmed in The Amazing Spider-Girl #0. I was a little thrown for a while about May giving up being Spider-Girl, but according to #0 her parents made an exception when it came to Galactus and the fate of the entire universe.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
David




So has anyone come up with (perhaps using that character appearance chronology) a comprehensive chronology issue by issue?


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
jarkoer




> So has anyone come up with (perhaps using that character appearance chronology) a comprehensive chronology issue by issue?

Just for the MC2? Not that I know of. At least not an accurate one. ( Comicvine.com has one, but it's woefully out of date.) One had been started a few years ago, but that website has since disappeared.

Well, at least we've got this.

http://www.comicboards.com/spidergirl/view.php?rpl=071108030435

Some years ago I had done an issue-by-issue synopsis up to #60 of the original series. It was completed by someone else, but the website that hosted it is now defunct. And unfortunately I didn't keep up with it. Anyway, feel free to skip this entire message and jump down to the attachment at the bottom....

http://www.comicboards.com/spidergirl/view.php?rpl=030919172809


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
jarkoer




> So has anyone come up with (perhaps using that character appearance chronology) a comprehensive chronology issue by issue?

Here's an interesting website. It's woefully incomplete when it comes to certain characters, though, but it looks like it gets updated regularly. Amazing Spider-Girl is mentioned here.

http://www.marvunapp.com/master/mastguid.htm

Oh my goodness! Jimmy Yamma's comic book, "Spider-Girl", is being called "Spider-Girl of Earth 6121". lol


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software