Avengers >> View Post
·
Post By
Century: Your Alien Hero

In Reply To
Michael

Subj: You knew this was coming. (Children's Crusade 7 Spoilers)
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 at 07:15:10 pm EDT (Viewed 319 times)
Reply Subj: The Truth About Disassembled Revealed (Children's Crusade 7 Spoilers)
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 at 12:15:06 am EDT (Viewed 101 times)

Previous Post

Young Avengers: the Children's Crusade 7 is out. We finally learn the truth behind Wanda's madness in Disassembled. Basically, after losing her children, Wanda went to Doom for help, and together they cast a spell that wound up giving her almost limitless power but driving her crazy.
I'm not sure how I feel about this retcon. On the one hand, Wanda's insanity wasn't the result of an innate character flaw. On the other hand, Wanda was an idiot for going to Doom instead of Strange, Clea, Voodoo, etc.
I wonder when Wanda went to Doom since he was in Hell for several months preceding Disassembled.
At the end of the story, Doom becomes omnipotent and has healed his face. I wonder if this was intended as a tribute to Secret Wars 10.

Michael

> Young Avengers: the Children's Crusade 7 is out. We finally learn the truth behind Wanda's madness in Disassembled. Basically, after losing her children, Wanda went to Doom for help, and together they cast a spell that wound up giving her almost limitless power but driving her crazy.

> I'm not sure how I feel about this retcon. On the one hand, Wanda's insanity wasn't the result of an innate character flaw.

Well, we knew that eventually they were going to try and absolve her of blame someone. But it depends how "in control of her own actions" she was. If it's not like she was possessed and something else's puppet, it still means that twice over, vastly upgraded powers + personal trauma/tragedy/adversity have resulted in her becoming violently, murderously insane, and that she still caused M-Day because of her own self-loathing for being a mutant, and her throwing a hissy-fit at her father. Regardless of her power-level, those issues and character-flaws would still remain, and regardless of how much Ant-Man and Hawkeye were collateral damage, some part of her intentionally targetted Vision, and to a less-murderous degree, Tony, Steve, She-Hulk and Falcon.

M-Day is more problematic in that tie-in writers added a multiverse-wide effect, and a death-toll, that Bendis likely never planned for, all of which could've been prevented if someone had pointed out to Claremont, Jenkins, etc, that Marvel were probably going to want to rehabilitate her eventually.

> On the other hand, Wanda was an idiot for going to Doom instead of Strange, Clea, Voodoo, etc.

Considering that Strange was present for the birth of the twins, and detected nothing wrong/abnormal/Mephisto-y with them at all, he probably wouldn't be the first person she'd turn to for anything relating to them. And does she even KNOW Clea or Doctor Brother Voodoo? In contrast, Doom is someone she has met, and would be someone more likely to think the unthinkable, and come up with ends-justifies-the-means solutions none of the others would even consider, and his long rivalry with Mephisto could be all the reason he'd need to get involved.

On that note, it's long-past time the Mephisto involvement in the twins' origin was overturned, and their real father was brought back.

> I wonder when Wanda went to Doom since he was in Hell for several months preceding Disassembled.

How far back is this supposed to have happened? Way back after the twins were lost, in the late 1980s/early 1990s doesn't really work, because she wasn't that powerful back then. And as you say, Doom's own timeline prevents it having happened in the immediate months before Disassembled. Ideally, it needs to occur before the Heroes Return/"chaos magic" stuff, because that's where the years of increasing powers began, long before Bendis took it to the level seen in House of M, and there's so much character-ruination there that deserves to be thrown out as "she said/did/wore this because she was insane".

> At the end of the story, Doom becomes omnipotent and has healed his face. I wonder if this was intended as a tribute to Secret Wars 10.

If so, who could blame them? Say what you want about the rest of Secret Wars, the final issues of it were a great Doom story.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2017 by Alvaro Ortiz and Dave Galanter. Software Copyright © 2003-2017 Powermad Software