Avengers >> View Thread

Author
Oneminutemonkey




I was reading an essay over at Comics101, and it led me to wonder several things...

1. If Hank could give Janet Van Dyne wings and antennae and bioblasts with almost no preparation, how come he never did the same for himself back when he was Ant-Man? Or, y'know, ever? Here he gave her the ability to fly, shoot energy blasts, and communicate with insects, and yet he never bothered to do it for himself, relying instead on flying ants for transportation and all that. Silly Hank. Anyone got an answer as to why he never took advantage of his own genius in that fashion?
(My theory: Jan had latent powers after all, and his treatments activated them, and they failed when he tried on himself.)

2. Whatever happened to Rover, that nifty little vehicle he was sporting during his days as Henry Pym, Scientific Adventurer?
(My theory: he shrunk it, and lost it in his sock drawer. Ooops!)




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
BlakGard




> I was reading an essay over at Comics101, and it led me to wonder
> several things...
>
> 1. If Hank could give Janet Van Dyne wings and antennae and bioblasts
> with almost no preparation, how come he never did the same for
> himself back when he was Ant-Man? Or, y'know, ever? Here he gave
> her the ability to fly, shoot energy blasts, and communicate with
> insects, and yet he never bothered to do it for himself, relying
> instead on flying ants for transportation and all that. Silly Hank.
> Anyone got an answer as to why he never took advantage of his own
> genius in that fashion?
> (My theory: Jan had latent powers after all, and his treatments
> activated them, and they failed when he tried on himself.)

Hank, being the evil bastard that he is, only wants to play guinea pig with other people... not himself. (I'm kidding)

Seriously though, insect wings look better on females. I'm sure it's just a personal preference thing.

> 2. Whatever happened to Rover, that nifty little vehicle he was
> sporting during his days as Henry Pym, Scientific Adventurer?
> (My theory: he shrunk it, and lost it in his sock drawer. Ooops!)

The last time I remember seeing the original was in the mid-90s Tales to Astonish one-shot. He and Janet were in Norway and ran into some guy that was given powers from Loki. He took Rover, reshaped it, and used it as his vehicle until he was later defeated.

We later saw a new Rover that looked very different in a mid-90s issue of Captain America, but it hasn't been seen since (I don't think). I like your idea though.
____________________




Posted with Netscape Navigator 8.1.3 on Windows XP
Snowstorm




If things can be reduced in size by using Pym particles, why didn't they shrink the Giant-Man that died in CW before the funeral?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Raz




> I was reading an essay over at Comics101, and it led me to wonder several things...
>
> 1. If Hank could give Janet Van Dyne wings and antennae and bioblasts with almost no preparation, how come he never did the same for himself back when he was Ant-Man? Or, y'know, ever? Here he gave her the ability to fly, shoot energy blasts, and communicate with insects, and yet he never bothered to do it for himself, relying instead on flying ants for transportation and all that. Silly Hank. Anyone got an answer as to why he never took advantage of his own genius in that fashion?
> (My theory: Jan had latent powers after all, and his treatments activated them, and they failed when he tried on himself.)
>
I always assumed that was an indication of Hank's poor self-esteem. I mean, ostensibly he made himself Giant-Man to be able to keep up with Thor and Iron Man, but (and obviously this is looking at it all with today's sensibilities) a smart guy like Hank would know that being giant-sized, while visually more spectacular, is not the most efficient use of his genius. I think it's very telling that his two most effective heroic identities were Yellowjacket, whom he created when his temporary nuttiness over-rode his low self-esteem....and Dr Pym in West Coast Avengers, when he'd finally put his demons to rest.

Everything else he's done has always been tinged by the idea that he just doesn't think he's good enough, and so I think he constantly subconsciously sabotages himself so that he has a reason to keep believing that. Why *doesn't* he just stay ant-sized all the time with a powerful suit of armor, some bio-stings, natural flight and a city full of advanced weaponry on him at all times? Because his low self-image won't let him be that effective....

All my opinion anyway..



> 2. Whatever happened to Rover, that nifty little vehicle he was sporting during his days as Henry Pym, Scientific Adventurer?
> (My theory: he shrunk it, and lost it in his sock drawer. Ooops!)
>
>
That's cute...I remember a back-up story in one of the WCA annuals where the whole team were going nuts looking for some superpowerful explosive weapon that Hank had shrunk and lost, and Wonder Man ended up accidentally eating it..hehe.. \=\)



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
spiderprince




> If things can be reduced in size by using Pym particles, why didn't they shrink the Giant-Man that died in CW before the funeral?

They said something along the lines of the Pym particles didn't work on his dead body. I don't remember the exact reason, but it was addressed.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000
Super Rubbery Bung




> If things can be reduced in size by using Pym particles, why didn't they shrink the Giant-Man that died in CW before the funeral?>

It's something to do with people who already have Pym particles in them (or have been exposed to them) being unable to shrink without an act of will. Atlas, for example despite being ionic powered couldn't be shrunk after the Wellspring stuff in Thunderbolts either. Similarly if you KO Giant Man in his enlarged state he won't shrink until he wakes up.

Plus Cyber Thor tore a hole through Goliath - shrinking him would move a lot of his internal organs around and most likely out of that hole- Tony's not that creepy as to let someone be buried as a mound of flesh and mangled hollow skin!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 on Windows XP
emerick man




> > If things can be reduced in size by using Pym particles, why didn't they shrink the Giant-Man that died in CW before the funeral?>
>
> It's something to do with people who already have Pym particles in them (or have been exposed to them) being unable to shrink without an act of will. Atlas, for example despite being ionic powered couldn't be shrunk after the Wellspring stuff in Thunderbolts either. Similarly if you KO Giant Man in his enlarged state he won't shrink until he wakes up.
>
> Plus Cyber Thor tore a hole through Goliath - shrinking him would move a lot of his internal organs around and most likely out of that hole- Tony's not that creepy as to let someone be buried as a mound of flesh and mangled hollow skin!

It's great that they set some precedent but it seems a bit wanting. If that's the case why not go to a 3rd world country and grow big holding an apple and then don't will the apple smaller. If there is the argument it's organic, then okay, maybe - since it's Marvel pseudo-science but then just grow and blanket instead and share the material.

My suggestion is to say in-story that it will EVENTUALLY (with uncertain time frame) revert back to normal size. Of course, that doesn't explain why Tony would dish out all that cash for the graveyard excavation, but okay, maybe it was out of guilty conscience.

One of the great things that went on in Ant-man new series is that Mr Kirkman had Pym explain to Ant-man III some of the pseudo-science behind the Pym particles for canon sake. Still have to catch up on the series but I hope he addresses the permanency of size change factor too...




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
The Uknown Avenger




I'm not even sure why he's dressed like YJ any more. He appears in different series and the most important aspect of the character is his mind.

He is helping with the Initiative, the Order(Champions/whatever), etc. You think he would totatly give the identities away. Infact, he did with Ant-Man. An small group of SHIELD agents as Ant-Men and Giant Men would rock. Maybe one "special" agent can be YJ and another Goliath.

As for why Jan was mutated? Um, good question.

You know these questions are answered in the Ultimates. I love Hank in the Initiative...training young heroes, etc. But I cringe to see him in spandex. The same way I cringe when I see Prof. X in spandex. ;\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
MarkTJohnson




> I'm not even sure why he's dressed like YJ any more. He appears in different series and the most important aspect of the character is his mind.
>
He's probably wear the YellowJacket costume because it can generate the biosting energy by vibrating the "wing" things. None of his other costumes had that capability. That and everyone knows YJ is a little crazy, so they mind their P's and Q's around him.

Mark "Can remember back when he carried a disruptor pistol instead. Man am I old." Johnson


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP
dave




> You know these questions are answered in the Ultimates. I love Hank in the Initiative...training young heroes, etc. But I cringe to see him in spandex. The same way I cringe when I see Prof. X in spandex. ;\)

Unlike many comic heroes, Hank Pym has become bigger than the identities he assumes. I think Marvel could pass the Giant Man, Ant Man and Yellowjacket mantles on to other people and just like him by Hank Pym, scientific adventurer. His look in Beyond was really cool and I love the idea of him carrying around shrunken Quinjets and tools. This is the most interesting version of Hank Pym ever. On top of that, I kind of like the perverted waste that is the current Antman.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Bobster




> If things can be reduced in size by using Pym particles, why didn't they shrink the Giant-Man that died in CW before the funeral?

"If you can't laugh at yourself other people will do it for you."


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software