Avengers >> View Thread

Author
Marvfolife!




This may be trivial to most folks, but it bothers me to no end seeing artists (but most especially John Romita Jr)draw Iron Man too short! Also, he doesn't draw him "thick" enough. He's 6'6 in armor. This means he's as tall as Thor and Luke Cage. Moreover, he's wearing armor. Unless it's wafer thin (and it wouldn't be or else he wouldn't be 6'6 in it)he should be shown as a little wider. Excluding size changers, the only Avengers taller than Iron Man are the Hulk and She-Hulk. Next up would be IM, Thor, Cage and War Machine. After that, Hercules (6'5). Once again, I know it's minor but it just irks me. Anyone else feel this way?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows Vista
Cascadyan




Totally agree...!

It really does bother and frustrate me when they get these types of things inconsistent or just plain wrong... if might seem petty to others.. but to me, I pay good money for years and years (been collecting comics for 30yrs) and when a supposedly professional artist is sloppy... it really bugs me... the editors at least should be stepping in.. how in this day and age an artist cant reference the heights and body shapes of characters to a consistent level just bewilders me... - Dude, get yourself a Handbook or three..! LOL!

that said, I find JRJR's work appalling and abysmal.. its an absolute turn-off for me... I find it scratchy, inconsistent and just plain ugly... half the time i cant tell what is going on or who the character is... and then there are the panels where previously recognizable characters take on a deformed appearance... it embarrasses me to say that about an Avengers comic... but as a consumer, that is my opinion of his work

I had better stop there.. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, and am hardly a high quality artist myself... but as a consumer paying good money... Y.U.C.K


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on MacOS X
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


This new armour might not be 6'6". All of his armours have provided significantly more height than width.

The classic armours were always rather thin (approx. 2/3"). And really, the armour cannot be that thick, else Tony's body couldn't fit it. Any more than an inch, and Tony's going to have real, bone-crunching problems.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows 7
Daveym

Moderator

Location: Lancashire
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



Yes I've noticed it too!

Maybe part of the problem is the design for the armour right now is just too form fitting, I can't think of another suit that was so slimline and lacking in dimension.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 4.0; on Windows XP
Marvfolife!




I agree with you on how streamline it is, but if you go back thruout the years, artists drawing for the Avengers have almost always drawn IM too short (at least in comparison to Thor) The only thing that should make Thor seem taller is the helmet.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Marvfolife!




This armor is also 6'6. And it doesn't have to be bultky thick. It should however make him appear "wider" than the average human.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


As far as I know, official stats on the new Post-Siege armour haven't been printed, so no one knows its dimensions. It certainly looks sleeker.

Wider is no different from bulky.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows 7
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


"Going back through the years..." Tony's armour used to not be so tall.

If Tony is 6'1" without the armour (ie, nude), then Thor is 6'6" when completely nude. So, chances are, Thor is going to be taller, regardless.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows 7
Marvfolife!




It HAS been officially posted. It's in the update handbook.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows Vista
mjyoung





    Quote:
    "Going back through the years..." Tony's armour used to not be so tall.



    Quote:
    If Tony is 6'1" without the armour (ie, nude), then Thor is 6'6" when completely nude. So, chances are, Thor is going to be taller, regardless.


Where would the extra 5 inches come from on the armor? It can't really be the top of the armor, since his helmet can't be too thick. If his helmet is more than an inch think his head is going to be huge. Is Stark basically wearing 4 inch lifts on his boots? But visually that would still look weird.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows XP
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


I agree. That's why I liked the stats for the Mark V armour (the armour that Rhodey was given). The armour should never be more than 3" taller, imo: 1" on top and 2" in the shoes. Any more would make someone look silly.

No one ever looks good in a motorcycle helmet either.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows 7
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


None of the handbook updates since Siege has shown the armour.

An armour with those dimension is going to look like George Costanza in that Gore-Tex coat, and be as cumbersome from its bulk. There's really no getting around that. The human body will not move well with something like that around it.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows 7
mjyoung





    Quote:
    An armour with those dimension is going to look like George Costanza in that Gore-Tex coat, and be as cumbersome from its bulk. There's really no getting around that. The human body will not move well with something like that around it.


Assuming the armor is an inch thick, how wide is the armor going to be? I'm 6'2 and my chest is about 24 inches wide. With inch thick armor, that would mean the suit would have to add at least an additional 6 inches, making it 30 inches wide. 30 inches is also the width of most standard doorways. It's also not accounting to the fact that most of his armors have an additional shoulder pad, requiring even more width.

Or just imagine how big his hands would have to be with full range of motions in his fingers. Armor in this area would also have to be much thinner in this case. Probably not a good idea considering how much punching and lifting he does with his hands.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows XP
Marvfolife!





    Quote:
    None of the handbook updates since Siege has shown the armour.



    Quote:
    An armour with those dimension is going to look like George Costanza in that Gore-Tex coat, and be as cumbersome from its bulk. There's really no getting around that. The human body will not move well with something like that around it.


Sigh. Iron Man Iron Manual Mark 3 (which A: came out AFTER siege, B: Is IM's handbook, same format and all, and C: has the new armor in it. It states just like all the other armors 6'1 without, 6'6 with and 425 lbs. I said this and you just matter of factly said "none of the handbook updates have shown the armor". Please tell me, why would I say this if it weren't true?

Oh by the way, the listing is "Iron Man Update" FYI.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows Vista
Marvfolife!




We can go around all day about how it isn't feasible, but the bottom line is OFFICIALLY.....Both Thor AND Iron Man are 6'6. They both should be drawn as the same height. This isn't like a debate about whether or not Iron Man is as strong as Thor. Even that shouldn't be a matter of opinion but that's a more plausible argument than "I don't think IM is as tall as Thor in armor". That CANNOT be a matter of opinion. How tall are YOU? I'm 6'2. This is not my "opinion" The scale doesn't lie. This is a fact. Some things people simply aren't up for debate.

Also, even if you feel IM should be shorter than Thor, do you really think he should be as short as Romita draws him? This is the reason I started this thread.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows Vista
Doc Boomstick




For a long time Iron Man didn't even seem like a tech hero. He was just a red and gold superhuman. As result, he never even looked like he was wearing armor but rather just had gold paint on his arms. I don't like this look at all, but I can see how THAT Iron Man might have been shorter. However, modern armors look more like machines, so I agree that it's odd to draw him small. Unless there is a 12-year-old kid in there he should look pretty big. It's a battle suit, not a leotard.

On the other hand, I don't want to see him tower over everyone by a large margin. I wouldn't make him any taller than Thor and probably no broader.


Posted with Apple iPad 533.17.9
mjyoung





    Quote:
    We can go around all day about how it isn't feasible, but the bottom line is OFFICIALLY.....Both Thor AND Iron Man are 6'6. They both should be drawn as the same height. This isn't like a debate about whether or not Iron Man is as strong as Thor. Even that shouldn't be a matter of opinion but that's a more plausible argument than "I don't think IM is as tall as Thor in armor". That CANNOT be a matter of opinion. How tall are YOU? I'm 6'2. This is not my "opinion" The scale doesn't lie. This is a fact. Some things people simply aren't up for debate.


Yes, and we are wondering how you want that to be drawn. Should Iron Man just be much bigger (taller and wider), or just taller? If it's just taller, where do you want the artists to add those extra inches? How should those characters be drawn to scale?


    Quote:
    Also, even if you feel IM should be shorter than Thor, do you really think he should be as short as Romita draws him? This is the reason I started this thread.


Personal opinion (and I could care less about Marvel's stats) is that Iron Man in armor should be about 2 or 3 inches taller than he is in person. So I'd say about 6'4.

Thor should probably be taller than 6'6, he should be a pretty massive guy. Lebron James is 6'8, and I don't think he should tower over Thor.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows XP
Marvfolife!





    Quote:
    For a long time Iron Man didn't even seem like a tech hero. He was just a red and gold superhuman. As result, he never even looked like he was wearing armor but rather just had gold paint on his arms. I don't like this look at all, but I can see how THAT Iron Man might have been shorter. However, modern armors look more like machines, so I agree that it's odd to draw him small. Unless there is a 12-year-old kid in there he should look pretty big. It's a battle suit, not a leotard.



    Quote:
    On the other hand, I don't want to see him tower over everyone by a large margin. I wouldn't make him any taller than Thor and probably no broader.


Agreed.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows Vista
Marvfolife!





    Quote:

      Quote:
      We can go around all day about how it isn't feasible, but the bottom line is OFFICIALLY.....Both Thor AND Iron Man are 6'6. They both should be drawn as the same height. This isn't like a debate about whether or not Iron Man is as strong as Thor. Even that shouldn't be a matter of opinion but that's a more plausible argument than "I don't think IM is as tall as Thor in armor". That CANNOT be a matter of opinion. How tall are YOU? I'm 6'2. This is not my "opinion" The scale doesn't lie. This is a fact. Some things people simply aren't up for debate.



    Quote:
    Yes, and we are wondering how you want that to be drawn. Should Iron Man just be much bigger (taller and wider), or just taller? If it's just taller, where do you want the artists to add those extra inches? How should those characters be drawn to scale?

    You ask like it would be difficult to achieve this. Luke Cage is 6'6 and built bigger than Lebron James. Artists seem to get HIM right. Oh and how about Cable? That guy is 6'8!!! and big. Artists seem to make his dimensions accurate. Or maybe you all (you did claim "we") forgot about those guys?


      Quote:
      Personal opinion (and I could care less about Marvel's stats) is that Iron Man in armor should be about 2 or 3 inches taller than he is in person. So I'd say about 6'4.



      Quote:
      Thor should probably be taller than 6'6, he should be a pretty massive guy. Lebron James is 6'8, and I don't think he should tower over Thor.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 on Windows Vista

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software