Avengers >> View Thread

Author
Jazzyduke




If the rumors are true....I am very excited to have Johnathon Hickman coming to one, or two Avengers books. His work is outstanding on the FF, with mindbending, but fun plots were a pleasure to see unfold. He could really up the ante with the Avengers.

I do hope he's paired up with some solid artists. The lastest on New Avengers has been no up to par. My eyeteeth for Gary Frank to return....or get Perez to do a swansong run.

I am however, a little sad to see Bendis go. I know he's not everyone's favorite, but he did bring a vision to the series....and has brought them from 2nd class comics to the top....I'll always thank him for that. And the status quo is almost here with the return of Vision.

Can't wait for the future of the team....been a fan since 221.

Cheers


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 13.0 on Windows XP
bd2999

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    If the rumors are true....I am very excited to have Johnathon Hickman coming to one, or two Avengers books. His work is outstanding on the FF, with mindbending, but fun plots were a pleasure to see unfold. He could really up the ante with the Avengers.



    Quote:
    I do hope he's paired up with some solid artists. The lastest on New Avengers has been no up to par. My eyeteeth for Gary Frank to return....or get Perez to do a swansong run.



    Quote:
    I am however, a little sad to see Bendis go. I know he's not everyone's favorite, but he did bring a vision to the series....and has brought them from 2nd class comics to the top....I'll always thank him for that. And the status quo is almost here with the return of Vision.



    Quote:
    Can't wait for the future of the team....been a fan since 221.



    Quote:
    Cheers


I thought that Hickman was hit or miss on Fantastic Four, but overall it was good. I would just be happy to see Bendis off the title. Maybe Hickman can make it feel more Avengers like again?




Look Raist bunnies...
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 on Windows 7
Unstable Molecule


Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 3,103


My only complaint about Hickman's FF is that it was quite decompressed. However, it had a (very!) satisfactory payoff and an actual climax that resolved a lot of the plots and subplots. Both climaxes and subplots have been somewhat absent in Avengers under Bendis, so I'm looking forward to Hickman's run. I'm excited to see which roster he'll choose.





"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices." – Albus Dumbledore
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0; on Windows 7
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


I'm about even regarding his FF, and I did not like his SHIELD, but I think his ideas are more fitting for Avengers than any other Marvel writer.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 12.0 on Windows 7
hawkeye2099


Member Since: Tue Dec 02, 2008
Posts: 908


I'm currently rereading Hickman's FF run. I used to think it was decompressed... but rereading it makes me realize that he had a lot of different ideas set up from very early on and that they paid off in the end. Could it have been done with fewer issues? Perhaps... but I've really enjoyed the run!


Posted with Google Chrome 19.0.1084.56 on Windows 7
bd2999

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    My only complaint about Hickman's FF is that it was quite decompressed. However, it had a (very!) satisfactory payoff and an actual climax that resolved a lot of the plots and subplots. Both climaxes and subplots have been somewhat absent in Avengers under Bendis, so I'm looking forward to Hickman's run. I'm excited to see which roster he'll choose.


I would agree, although I think that is a generaly criticism for modern comic story telling. The decompression gets rough at times and I would love to things be more compressed and simply have more happening from issue to issue. Give me a three part arc compared to a 6 or 7 part any day.




Look Raist bunnies...
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 on Windows 7
christian




Sorry, but exactly how did Bendis make Avengers a top ranked title? I never thought Avengers was second rate pre-Bendis. In fact, I thought Busiek/Perez was one of the finest runs the series ever saw. Bendis destroyed the Avengers after that. And in amateurish fashion. Disassembled was horrific, and out of continuity. And for what purpose? Bendis(or Quesada depending on whether Bendis was under orders) simply tried to copy the Justice League by loading the team with alot of Marvel's top tier characters, even if their inclusion made no sense. Luke Cage??? Wolverine(I mean, God, really)?? Spiderman I didn't mind, because it seemed a logical progression of Peter's character, but then, Bendis showed he had no comprehension of Spiderman's personality, and ruined him on the team. And for that they made Wanda a lunatic? And got rid of some of the Avengers' best characters(Jan is still dead right)? Bendis' run was a sign of someone who knew nothing about his subject matter.

As an aside, all the tinkering that Marvel and DC have done with the Avengers and Justice League has never made any sense. They seem to be desperately trying to recreate the success they had on the Claremont X-Men and Wolfman Teen Titans. But, the very reason both those titles needed radical change was because X-Men and Teen Titans had been cancelled. It was only that that both teams got revamped with outstanding new line-ups. This does NOT apply to Justice League or Avengers. Neither title was ever cancelled, hence there's no justification for eviscerating the teams.

Ask yourselves, who do you think of when you think of the Avengers or Justice League? For me, Justice League = Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Red Tornado, and the Manhunter. So, why are 3rd rate characters like Plastic man, Aztec, and Geo-Force always being added to the team? Avengers = Cap, Ironman, Thor, Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Yellow Jacket, Wonderman, She-Hulk, Hercules and Black Panther. So, why are guys like Machine Man, Sentry and Spider Woman being added? Was there some great groundswell of discontent with those Avengers and League members? If so, I never heard it among fans. So why the changes? I suspect the egos of some employees at Marvel and DC have something to do with it.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
Unstable Molecule


Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 3,103


A lot of the reason why Bendis' Avengers didn't work for me had to do with the damaging of charcters and the roster chosen. I object to Wolverine being an Avenger, and even moreso after the X-Men moved to the west coast. Dr. Strange felt wrong as well (similar to when Mr. Fantastic was on the Avengers - I will always associate him with another team). Characters like the Sentry, Echo, Protector, and Jewel do nothing for me. Characters I genuinely liked (like Spider-man, Spider Woman, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Wonder Man, Norman Osborn, the Hood) were so mishandled that I grew to dislike them. Other characters I liked (Wanda, the Vision, the Wasp) were ruined or killed. In my opinion, the only character who has benefited from Bendis' tenure is Luke Cage.




"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices." – Albus Dumbledore
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0; on Windows 7
MysteryMan





    Quote:
    A lot of the reason why Bendis' Avengers didn't work for me had to do with the damaging of charcters and the roster chosen. I object to Wolverine being an Avenger, and even moreso after the X-Men moved to the west coast. Dr. Strange felt wrong as well (similar to when Mr. Fantastic was on the Avengers - I will always associate him with another team). Characters like the Sentry, Echo, Protector, and Jewel do nothing for me. Characters I genuinely liked (like Spider-man, Spider Woman, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Wonder Man, Norman Osborn, the Hood) were so mishandled that I grew to dislike them. Other characters I liked (Wanda, the Vision, the Wasp) were ruined or killed. In my opinion, the only character who has benefited from Bendis' tenure is Luke Cage.


I have to admit I like in general how he treats Tony Stark though


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software