Avengers >> View Thread

Author
Comicguy1




Never read all of the Korvac quest (Read a lot of it, and know what happened, but not the whole thing.), but I know that when it was released in trade paperback (Or after.), there was an epilogue that was added. I believe that it was written by Mark Gruenwald (Who had a part in the original storyline?), but it had the Avengers debating about Korvac or something. Did anyone read this? I know that Tom Breevort didn't want it included, because he felt that it kind of took the sails out of the storyline. But eventually it was included. The original ending. What was the difference, exactly? Korvac killed himself. But of course he was brought back. I think that they probably should have left him dead, especially since his appearance during the Mark Waid run on Captain America was less than impressive.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
TJ Burns





Gruenwald's ending is in no way the original ending... he had nothing to do with the original story, near as I can tell, which was all Jim Shooter. It made one tpb of the arc, and has been removed from all subsequent printings. Essentially, it removes the implication that Korvac not only could have succeeded, but in doing so may have improved the universe. By not making Korvac's quest a morally ambiguous one, it totally destroys the actual "was printed" ending of the story... and also completely and utterly ignores the fact that Moondragon intentionally screwed with the Avengers' memories of these events in her grief over Korvac's death. Not that the ending hasn't been devastated by Korvac's subsequent actions, but still...


TJB


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP
Reverend Meteor





    Quote:

    Gruenwald's ending is in no way the original ending... he had nothing to do with the original story, near as I can tell, which was all Jim Shooter. It made one tpb of the arc, and has been removed from all subsequent printings. Essentially, it removes the implication that Korvac not only could have succeeded, but in doing so may have improved the universe. By not making Korvac's quest a morally ambiguous one, it totally destroys the actual "was printed" ending of the story... and also completely and utterly ignores the fact that Moondragon intentionally screwed with the Avengers' memories of these events in her grief over Korvac's death. Not that the ending hasn't been devastated by Korvac's subsequent actions, but still...


I think sometimes Gruenwald liked to fix things that didn't need fixing.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP
TJ Burns





I'll agree... considering he was the main motivating force behind the events that ended with Stern leaving the Avengers and Englehart leaving the West Coast Avengers, by all reports.



TJB


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP
Omar Karindu


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,242


My understanding was that Engelhart left WCA because DeFalco refused to let him use Mantis there, since DeFalco hated that character.

Also, Gruenwald did push Stenr off the Avengers, but this was because Stern decided he disagreed with editorial plans to have Druid undermine Monica and then cause the team to disband, setting the stage for a revamp in #300 linked to events in Thor, Fantastic Cour and Captain America. Gruenwald's position was that changing plans for Avengers would affect storylines in the the books, and so, unable to find a way to get to the planned Avengers #300 status quo in a way that Stern felt was true to the characters, Stern resigned (in the "fired' sense of the word).

But in either case, Gruenwald wasn't trying to "fix" anything much, whereas the Korvac epilogue does read like an attempt to resolve what Gru thought were characterization and continuity problems.




- Omar Karindu
"For your information, I don't have an ego. My Facebook photo is a landscape."
Posted with Apple Safari 5.1.9 on MacOS X
Reverend Meteor





    Quote:
    My understanding was that Engelhart left WCA because DeFalco refused to let him use Mantis there, since DeFalco hated that character.


I can appreciate someone hating Mantis. Ex-prostitute taught kung-fu by aliens who has trouble with pronouns that is groomed to be a mother to a half-plant messiah...not really my cup of tea either. And why does she have antennas on her head? Is she a mutant? Did the Priest of Pama mutate her? And why is she sometimes green?

And as much as everyone hates Byrne's AWC I thought Englehart's run was tepid. Aside from his work on Silver Surfer there isn't much I like about Englehart's work.



    Quote:
    Also, Gruenwald did push Stenr off the Avengers, but this was because Stern decided he disagreed with editorial plans to have Druid undermine Monica and then cause the team to disband, setting the stage for a revamp in #300 linked to events in Thor, Fantastic Cour and Captain America. Gruenwald's position was that changing plans for Avengers would affect storylines in the the books, and so, unable to find a way to get to the planned Avengers #300 status quo in a way that Stern felt was true to the characters, Stern resigned (in the "fired' sense of the word).



    Quote:
    But in either case, Gruenwald wasn't trying to "fix" anything much, whereas the Korvac epilogue does read like an attempt to resolve what Gru thought were characterization and continuity problems.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Basically, he had absorbed the very power of galactus, and wanted to take over all the univese, ands make it a gentler and kinder one for Humans, make earth a paradise world...

The other Beings though became aware of him,and the Avengers fought against him, and he managed to kill just about all of them off, but his mate, daughter of Collector, had a moment if indecision that he was doing right thing, so he killed himself off, and she forced Thor to blast her dead also...

He had resurrected the avengers back to life right before he died though...

So he meant well, but thought that he could paly God, and remake the Marvel Universe in His own image, but others beings resisted that!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 25.0 on Linux

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software