Cosmic Marvel >> View Thread

Author
Mr Why?


Member Since: Wed Oct 28, 2015
Posts: 52


In the first Thor film it was established (IIRC) that what appeared to be Magic to humans was just advanced Asgardian tech. If that is the case why does Thor state in Dr Strange, that earth has Sorcerers, if sorcery by his own accounts is just advanced tech???


Posted with Google Chrome 56.0.2924.87 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor





    Quote:
    In the first Thor film it was established (IIRC) that what appeared to be Magic to humans was just advanced Asgardian tech. If that is the case why does Thor state in Dr Strange, that earth has Sorcerers, if sorcery by his own accounts is just advanced tech???


I think in Asgard they have the advanced Asgardian tech. Some of that has reached earth.

But there is a legitimate realm of magic that the Asgardians apparently do not dabble in but the Dr. Strange characters do. The real answer is they probably didn't anticipate doing a Dr. Strange movie when they established that in Thor...I think the point of the line was that the Asgardians do not use real magic...I don't think they intended to establish (or if they did they came to regret it) that magic isn't a thing in the MCU.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 51.0 on Windows 7
zvelf


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:

      Quote:
      In the first Thor film it was established (IIRC) that what appeared to be Magic to humans was just advanced Asgardian tech. If that is the case why does Thor state in Dr Strange, that earth has Sorcerers, if sorcery by his own accounts is just advanced tech???



    Quote:
    I think in Asgard they have the advanced Asgardian tech. Some of that has reached earth.



    Quote:
    But there is a legitimate realm of magic that the Asgardians apparently do not dabble in but the Dr. Strange characters do. The real answer is they probably didn't anticipate doing a Dr. Strange movie when they established that in Thor...I think the point of the line was that the Asgardians do not use real magic...I don't think they intended to establish (or if they did they came to regret it) that magic isn't a thing in the MCU.


Nah, in the Thor movies you see Loki and Frigga talking about casting spells so clearly the Asgardians do use magic.





How to make an entrance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49xWJJvpjzI
Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689




    Quote:

      Quote:

        Quote:
        In the first Thor film it was established (IIRC) that what appeared to be Magic to humans was just advanced Asgardian tech. If that is the case why does Thor state in Dr Strange, that earth has Sorcerers, if sorcery by his own accounts is just advanced tech???

      Quote:

        Quote:
        I think in Asgard they have the advanced Asgardian tech. Some of that has reached earth.

        Quote:

          Quote:
          But there is a legitimate realm of magic that the Asgardians apparently do not dabble in but the Dr. Strange characters do. The real answer is they probably didn't anticipate doing a Dr. Strange movie when they established that in Thor...I think the point of the line was that the Asgardians do not use real magic...I don't think they intended to establish (or if they did they came to regret it) that magic isn't a thing in the MCU.



    Quote:
    Nah, in the Thor movies you see Loki and Frigga talking about casting spells so clearly the Asgardians do use magic.


Am I going believe you or Odin? I'll stick with Odin.






Posted with Mozilla Firefox 51.0 on Windows 7
zvelf


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    Am I going believe you or Odin? I'll stick with Odin.


You don't have to believe me. At 0:39 of this clip, Thor asks Frigga, "Do you ever regret sharing your MAGIC with him?" She answers, "No. You and your father cast large shadows. I had hoped by sharing my gifts with Loki that he could find some sun for himself."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoNxqkyGTQ




How to make an entrance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49xWJJvpjzI
Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor





    Quote:

      Quote:
      Am I going believe you or Odin? I'll stick with Odin.



    Quote:
    You don't have to believe me. At 0:39 of this clip, Thor asks Frigga, "Do you ever regret sharing your MAGIC with him?" She answers, "No. You and your father cast large shadows. I had hoped by sharing my gifts with Loki that he could find some sun for himself."


And Thor is the franchise that establishes that they DON'T use magic. For all we know she's sharing Vanir tech with Loki.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 51.0 on Windows 7
bd2999

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    In the first Thor film it was established (IIRC) that what appeared to be Magic to humans was just advanced Asgardian tech. If that is the case why does Thor state in Dr Strange, that earth has Sorcerers, if sorcery by his own accounts is just advanced tech???


Sort of, but the first movie tries to blur the lines. There is clearly magic in the first film. To a much higher extent than the second. Loki uses it and so does Odin.




Look Raist bunnies...
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 51.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software