Cosmic Marvel >> View Thread

Author
zeus


Location: Plano, IL
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


I've been putting some though into the nature of the Infinity Gems lately, and I started with the Soul Gem, since it's unique among the 6.

The Soul Gem proved to be aggressive, manipulative and hungry very early on in it's history with Adam Warlock. It WANTED to steal souls, and it seemed to have a history of slowly sucking away at the soul and/or willpower of it's wearer, until it was in charge.

The vampiric, greedy nature of the gem as it interacts with Warlock seems a odds with the utopian world inside the gem. Everyone whose soul is stolen by the gem ends up in this peaceful, idyllic existence, where everyone is at peace with each other.

My first thought was that perhaps the idyllic world inside the gem was an illusion to placate it's inhabitants, but I feel like there's evidence to the contrary. At the end of Infinity War (maybe Crusade?) both Magus and the Goddess end up inside the Soul Gem. Due to being half-souls (one being Adam Warlock's pure evil, and the other his pure good), they couldn't interact with any whole souls in the gem; but they seemed to perceive the world the same way the whole souls did. Adam Warlock also seemed to perceive it the same way as everyone else, even with his varying relationships with the gem and the whole gauntlet.

This is all by memory. If I'm mis-remembering, let me know.

What do you all think? Is the nature of the gem's "personality" at odds with the world inside it? If so, can we "no-prize" this seeming conflict?


Posted with Google Chrome 89.0.4389.116 on Linux
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Can the Soul gem affect the other gems? Does it give to its user mastery over all other being with souls?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Linux
zeus


Location: Plano, IL
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Adam Warlock has used the Soul Gem to steal the souls of living beings, to take a soul from the "Soul World" inside the gem, and inflict it upon a being that had traded away his soul, and as a more direct offensive weapon through his "karmic blast" that would KO most "cannon fodder" level opponents.

As far as affecting the other gems, probably? I think there's a chart out there somewhere that shows how each gem can affect the others. As far as old-school Infinity Watch era continuity, it was the Reality Gem that allowed some of the other gems to tap their full potential.

I would think the Soul Gem could influence the others, since it's the only one (I'm aware of) that has sentience...


Posted with Google Chrome 89.0.4389.116 on Linux
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Only beings such as the Inbetweener can ignore being "soul ripped", due to having no soul, but think if Adam does that to say someone really evil, can be affected by that!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Linux
Don Campbell


Member Since: Fri Aug 18, 2017



    Quote:
    Adam Warlock has used the Soul Gem to steal the souls of living beings, to take a soul from the "Soul World" inside the gem, and inflict it upon a being that had traded away his soul, and as a more direct offensive weapon through his "karmic blast" that would KO most "cannon fodder" level opponents.



    Quote:
    As far as affecting the other gems, probably? I think there's a chart out there somewhere that shows how each gem can affect the others. As far as old-school Infinity Watch era continuity, it was the Reality Gem that allowed some of the other gems to tap their full potential.


Before the Marvel Cinematic Universe imposed itself on the Marvel Comics Universe and made the Infinity Stones into a circuit, it was the Power Gem that "backed the might of the other Jewels of Infinity." Other than that, I can't recall any story that stated that having any particular Gem would enable its wielder to get the best use out of the other Gems.


    Quote:
    I would think the Soul Gem could influence the others, since it's the only one (I'm aware of) that has sentience...


According to the UltraForce/Avengers one-shot, the six original gems had their own "small sentiences" but only the Soul Gem (and the Ego Gem) seemed to have been active/awake before the Seven were brought back together.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Thought that the reality was the trickiest one to fully use, and that the Power gem can amp up all of the other gems


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Linux
Immodicus


Member Since: Wed Jun 24, 2020



    Quote:
    Only beings such as the Inbetweener can ignore being "soul ripped", due to having no soul, but think if Adam does that to say someone really evil, can be affected by that!


Adam Warlock confirmed that Galactus and Eternity have spirits that are beyond the Soul Gem's power.




Posted with Google Chrome 91.0.4472.77 on Windows 10
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Is he also still effected by taking in evil persons , as they can affect him if he soul rips them?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 78.0 on Windows 10

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2021 Powermad Software