The Flash >> View Thread




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Author
Rocket Ismail




Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:

Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Dustin




> Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
>
> Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.

Hopefully Barry returns. But not as the Flash. Bart is doing a bang up job and is slowly evolving into the best Flash ever.

The Bart haters need to ask DC why they hired the crappy writers that made Bart bad.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000
Yossarian1373




> > Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
> >
> > Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.
>
> Hopefully Barry returns. But not as the Flash. Bart is doing a bang up job and is slowly evolving into the best Flash ever.
>
> The Bart haters need to ask DC why they hired the crappy writers that made Bart bad.
>
>
I agree almost completely.(Little early to make a "best Flash ever" prediction but my fingers are crossed.)

I love Barry, but Barry's time is over. And it's not like he ever really went away. Barry's influence and presence was felt all throughout Wally's run. He was constantly referencing him and trying to live up to the example that Barry led. And that's before he started making time travel assisted flesh and blood appearances in volume 2.

The Flash is not Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman. While those titles need to keep turning back the clock on their protagonists' ages to keep them current, we get something better. We get the same powers and costume (with minor variation) but a new character that will have a different approach to being a superhero, different personality and new foibles. We've got a book that will not stagnate.

It may be difficult to hear but Barry represents the past now. Bart is the present. Re-establishing Barry would seem like a large step backwards in the overall story of the Fastest Men alive. Think about it, Barry was the Flash for about thirty years. Are there any stories that you could do with Barry that have not already been done? And if so, why wouldn't those stories work with Bart now? Other than bring back Barry for bringing back Barry's sake, storywise, what do you really get with him back in the red and yellow?

Fair is fair: the relaunch with Bart was bad. It was a convoluted story that did not answer the questions we had, raised more that didn't make sense and focused on everything but establishing Bart as the new Flash. But, every issue with Guggenheim has fleshed 21 year old Bart out, had good writing style and art, and built a larger story with entertaining (relatively) self-contained issues. Guggenheim has said, his goal is to make Bart better than anything we've seen before. He wants Bart be so good that the JLA writers will ask him to let them use Bart on the JLA. Why don't we give him that chance?

Sorry this post went on for so long, I'm just getting a little tired of all the negativism over Bart's "promotion."


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP
Kelson




While we're at it, Guggenheim has specifically said that neither Barry nor Wally is coming back in the pages of The Flash, and that his primary mandate is to establish Bart firmly in the role.

Of course, Countdown is all about the multiverse. I suspect we'll be seeing a Barry Allen from an alternate universe in Countdown, while Bart continues to be the Flash in the main title.


"The Flash lives! I always wanted to say that." -- Wally West, Flash v.2 #50

Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
I'm selling part of my comic collection.

Read my blog at K-Squared Ramblings, or find me on ComicSpace.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Linux
Yossarian1373




> > > Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
> > >
> > > Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.
> >
> > Hopefully Barry returns. But not as the Flash. Bart is doing a bang up job and is slowly evolving into the best Flash ever.
> >
> > The Bart haters need to ask DC why they hired the crappy writers that made Bart bad.
> >
> >
> I agree almost completely.(Little early to make a "best Flash ever" prediction but my fingers are crossed.)
>
> I love Barry, but Barry's time is over. And it's not like he ever really went away. Barry's influence and presence was felt all throughout Wally's run. He was constantly referencing him and trying to live up to the example that Barry led. And that's before he started making time travel assisted flesh and blood appearances in volume 2.
>
> The Flash is not Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman. While those titles need to keep turning back the clock on their protagonists' ages to keep them current, we get something better. We get the same powers and costume (with minor variation) but a new character that will have a different approach to being a superhero, different personality and new foibles. We've got a book that will not stagnate.
>
> It may be difficult to hear but Barry represents the past now. Bart is the present. Re-establishing Barry would seem like a large step backwards in the overall story of the Fastest Men alive. Think about it, Barry was the Flash for about thirty years. Are there any stories that you could do with Barry that have not already been done? And if so, why wouldn't those stories work with Bart now? Other than bring back Barry for bringing back Barry's sake, storywise, what do you really get with him back in the red and yellow?
>
> Fair is fair: the relaunch with Bart was bad. It was a convoluted story that did not answer the questions we had, raised more that didn't make sense and focused on everything but establishing Bart as the new Flash. But, every issue with Guggenheim has fleshed 21 year old Bart out, had good writing style and art, and built a larger story with entertaining (relatively) self-contained issues. Guggenheim has said, his goal is to make Bart better than anything we've seen before. He wants Bart be so good that the JLA writers will ask him to let them use Bart on the JLA. Why don't we give him that chance?
>
> Sorry this post went on for so long, I'm just getting a little tired of all the negativism over Bart's "promotion."

P.S.: Just making sure this was clear: this was not directed at Rocket or Dustin, just the more negative fans that have been posting here lately.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP
The Rev




That was an awesome post. I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every incarnation of the Flash thus far. I wasn't overly fond of John Fox and Walter was just starting to really grow on me when he left for parts unknown but overall the idea of the legacy of the Flash and the mantle being passed on through the ages is one of my favorite aspects of the character. My favorite Flash will always be Jay but as each new character takes on the name and the costume, there is a new sensibility that adds to the mythos. This isn't your Grandfather's Flash, it isn't your Father's Flash, it is YOUR Flash and that to me is great. I've been reading since Zero Hour and have since gone back and completed the Wally West series and gone pretty deep back into Barry's series as well. I also have all of the Impulse series and I have really enjoyed the growth of Bart and now we get to see something we rarely see in comics because of this "slidding time scale" thing you mentioned which keeps Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman young; a hero maturing into his own individual. I'm looking forward to what Guggenheim has planned for Bart.

The Rev


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Rocket Ismail




I skimmed over most of your post as I didn't really see anything in the opening paragraph that would make me change my mind on Bart or alter my opinion on giving him more of a chance. Bart needs to die at the end of Countdown, preferably with Zoom beating him to pillar to post, then standing over his broken body and snapping his neck while saying "You're not worthy of wearing that costume."

Then Barry returns and goes "You're right, he wasn't. That's why I'm back."


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Rocket Ismail




> While we're at it, Guggenheim has specifically said that neither >Barry nor Wally is coming back in the pages of The Flash, and that his >primary mandate is to establish Bart firmly in the role.

Just like Tom DeFalco saying the Spider-Clone was here to stay, or Dan Didio saying that he had no plans to cancel "Firestorm" and then three months later it's gone.

You're assuming that Guggenheim is still going to be on the title by September. Given the fact that the lousy sales have continued under him, I seriously doubt he or Bart will be in The Flash regular title by January.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Lightning Strike




> Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
>
> Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.

I've always said that I'd rather DC not bring Barry back, but after reading these horrendous issues of Bart as the Flash, I've changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I like Bart, but not as the Flash. DC made him grow up too soon.

Truth be told, I'd rather see Wally back as the Flash on the main DC Earth and another book featuring Walter West on an altnernate DC Earth. That would rock! Please DC, now that the multiverse is back, at least tell a story or two once in a while featuring Walter.


GAMS Member #12
Make A Wish Foundation
Jesus Forever
"Want to see the size of my love?"
Ascend the winding path outside of Jerusalem.
Follow the dots of bloody dirt until you crest the hill.
Before looking up, pause and hear me whisper,
"This is how much I love you" . . . Jesus on the cross.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Kelson




> You're assuming that Guggenheim is still going to be on the title by September. Given the fact that the lousy sales have continued under him, I seriously doubt he or Bart will be in The Flash regular title by January.

And you're assuming that "Barry will return" means (a) in the mainstream DCU and (b) replacing Bart as the primary Flash. All I'm saying is, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

He could return only for the duration of Countdown. He could return just for one story arc. We could get the adventures of Earth-1 Barry while Bart remains the main Flash on Earth-52. He could return and be Central City's Flash, while Bart is Los Angeles' Flash and Jay is Keystone's Flash.




"The Flash lives! I always wanted to say that." -- Wally West, Flash v.2 #50

Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
I'm selling part of my comic collection.

Windows 98, Me, and 2000 users! Internet Explorer won't let you upgrade? You can still get a modern web browser!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Linux
Big Daddy Dale




> > Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
> >
> > Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.
>
> I've always said that I'd rather DC not bring Barry back, but after reading these horrendous issues of Bart as the Flash, I've changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I like Bart, but not as the Flash. DC made him grow up too soon.
>
> Truth be told, I'd rather see Wally back as the Flash on the main DC Earth and another book featuring Walter West on an altnernate DC Earth. That would rock! Please DC, now that the multiverse is back, at least tell a story or two once in a while featuring Walter.

>
> GAMS Member #12
> Make A Wish Foundation
> Jesus Forever
> "Want to see the size of my love?"
> Ascend the winding path outside of Jerusalem.
> Follow the dots of bloody dirt until you crest the hill.
> Before looking up, pause and hear me whisper,
> "This is how much I love you" . . . Jesus on the cross.











Batman Message Board
The Batman Message Board
BSG Message Board
The BSG Message Board
Flash Message Board
The Flash Message Board
G.I. Joe Message Board
The G.I. Joe Message Board
Wonder Woman M.B.
The Wonder Woman Message Board

If you're passing, pop in for a chat...
Lightning Strike




He was cool wasn't he! I loved the issues he appeared in when Wally was gone. I hated the end though when he had to leave this dimension and he had his heart broken because he couldn't stay with Angela. I'll never forget that image of Walter speeding off screaming.
That was sad.
\:\-\(

GAMS Member #12
Make A Wish Foundation
Jesus Forever
"Want to see the size of my love?"
Ascend the winding path outside of Jerusalem.
Follow the dots of bloody dirt until you crest the hill.
Before looking up, pause and hear me whisper,
"This is how much I love you" . . . Jesus on the cross.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Yossarian1373




> I skimmed over most of your post as I didn't really see anything in the opening paragraph that would make me change my mind on Bart or alter my opinion on giving him more of a chance. Bart needs to die at the end of Countdown, preferably with Zoom beating him to pillar to post, then standing over his broken body and snapping his neck while saying "You're not worthy of wearing that costume."
>
> Then Barry returns and goes "You're right, he wasn't. That's why I'm back."

I understand the frustration, but, man, why so violent?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP
Yossarian1373




> That was an awesome post. I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every incarnation of the Flash thus far. I wasn't overly fond of John Fox and Walter was just starting to really grow on me when he left for parts unknown but overall the idea of the legacy of the Flash and the mantle being passed on through the ages is one of my favorite aspects of the character. My favorite Flash will always be Jay but as each new character takes on the name and the costume, there is a new sensibility that adds to the mythos. This isn't your Grandfather's Flash, it isn't your Father's Flash, it is YOUR Flash and that to me is great. I've been reading since Zero Hour and have since gone back and completed the Wally West series and gone pretty deep back into Barry's series as well. I also have all of the Impulse series and I have really enjoyed the growth of Bart and now we get to see something we rarely see in comics because of this "slidding time scale" thing you mentioned which keeps Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman young; a hero maturing into his own individual. I'm looking forward to what Guggenheim has planned for Bart.
>
> The Rev

Damn straight! And a new issue comes out today!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP
Doctor of Doom




> Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
>
> Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.

Just checking? You DO know it's fact that Bart Allen is staying the premiere Flash in the Flash title, right? Those who wanted Bally to come back may well have won... but I'm afraid there's still no good news for Bart Haters.


Posted with Opera on Windows XP
The Bunny




> Rich Johnston over at "Lying in the Gutters" writes:
>
> Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.

The current writer did say that "he" would not be bringing Barry or Wally back. "HE". That would lead me to believe that someone else will be bringing him back.

I'm not a Bart Hater. He was great as Kid Flash in the Teen Titans, but he's no Flash.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Dustin




Mayhaps, Barry and Wally will return just to be finally and really killed to put the rumors to rest. BART IS THE FLASH.

> > You're assuming that Guggenheim is still going to be on the title by September. Given the fact that the lousy sales have continued under him, I seriously doubt he or Bart will be in The Flash regular title by January.
>
> And you're assuming that "Barry will return" means (a) in the mainstream DCU and (b) replacing Bart as the primary Flash. All I'm saying is, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.
>
> He could return only for the duration of Countdown. He could return just for one story arc. We could get the adventures of Earth-1 Barry while Bart remains the main Flash on Earth-52. He could return and be Central City's Flash, while Bart is Los Angeles' Flash and Jay is Keystone's Flash.
>
>
>
>
"The Flash lives! I always wanted to say that." -- Wally West, Flash v.2 #50
>
> Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
> I'm selling part of my comic collection.
>
> Windows 98, Me, and 2000 users! Internet Explorer won't let you upgrade? You can still get a modern web browser!


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000
Big Daddy Dale




> He was cool wasn't he! I loved the issues he appeared in when Wally was gone. I hated the end though when he had to leave this dimension and he had his heart broken because he couldn't stay with Angela. I'll never forget that image of Walter speeding off screaming.
> That was sad.
\:\-\(
>

So much untapped potential in Walter. The fact he was left to bounce around "hypertime" trying to get back home could have very interesting to read.









Batman Message Board
The Batman Message Board
BSG Message Board
The BSG Message Board
Flash Message Board
The Flash Message Board
G.I. Joe Message Board
The G.I. Joe Message Board
Wonder Woman M.B.
The Wonder Woman Message Board

If you're passing, pop in for a chat...
Macbeth




> I skimmed over most of your post as I didn't really see anything in the opening paragraph that would make me change my mind on Bart or alter my opinion on giving him more of a chance. Bart needs to die at the end of Countdown, preferably with Zoom beating him to pillar to post, then standing over his broken body and snapping his neck while saying "You're not worthy of wearing that costume."
>
> Then Barry returns and goes "You're right, he wasn't. That's why I'm back."

Yikes! This sounds like the beginning of a new lobbying group.

BEAT: Barry's Electric Advancement Team


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000
Yossarian1373




> > I skimmed over most of your post as I didn't really see anything in the opening paragraph that would make me change my mind on Bart or alter my opinion on giving him more of a chance. Bart needs to die at the end of Countdown, preferably with Zoom beating him to pillar to post, then standing over his broken body and snapping his neck while saying "You're not worthy of wearing that costume."
> >
> > Then Barry returns and goes "You're right, he wasn't. That's why I'm back."
>
> Yikes! This sounds like the beginning of a new lobbying group.
>
> BEAT: Barry's Electric Advancement Team

I think there already is one:




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP
Kelson




> Mayhaps, Barry and Wally will return just to be finally and really killed to put the rumors to rest. BART IS THE FLASH.

The sad thing is, I wouldn't put it past DC at this point. And somehow, I don't think even the Bart fans would like that outcome.


"The Flash lives! I always wanted to say that." -- Wally West, Flash v.2 #50

Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
I'm selling part of my comic collection.

Read my blog at K-Squared Ramblings, or find me on ComicSpace.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Linux
CensusTaker




> I skimmed over most of your post as I didn't really see anything in the opening paragraph that would make me change my mind on Bart or alter my opinion on giving him more of a chance. Bart needs to die at the end of Countdown, preferably with Zoom beating him to pillar to post, then standing over his broken body and snapping his neck while saying "You're not worthy of wearing that costume."
>
> Then Barry returns and goes "You're right, he wasn't. That's why I'm back."


...the principles of heroism, as demonstrated in the comics themselves, have had such a strong resonancy with you as a reader that you'd advicate the violent murder of the grandson of a character you profess to love as your preferred plot development. No wonder the world is such a universally happy and safe place!

Dang. I broke my sarcasm metre. Not even the cosmic treadmill could fix it now.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Scott




> Look for the return of Barry Allen, as hinted at in the "Countdown" ads, before the end of the year.

We've known that he would return. But it's never been stated that he will become the Flash again or take over the FLASH comic. Heck, didn't Guggenheim confirm this a month or so ago?

Yep, he did. Back in April.
http://comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=10297

RT: It's been leaked that Barry will be back in some form.

MG: I can guarantee you that Barry is not coming back in the pages of "Flash" and no one has informed me that Barry is coming back. In fact it is 180 degrees away from the story the company is telling.


Scott


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Rocket Ismail





> >
> > BEAT: Barry's Electric Advancement Team
>

I prefer "Attack" to "Advancement."

DEATH TO JASON RUSCH!



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software