Marvel Universe >> View Thread
1 2  >> All
Author
Attok12




This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino. So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there. There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it. It just so happened that he appeared in a Dan Slott-written book. Had the Rhino showed up in IRON MAN #22 or JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45, I still would have complained.

In response to Dan Slott's thread:

> Nowhere in the original thread did I insult you and your work at all. I even went out of my way to say that the intent of the post wasn't about your writing.

> In case you haven't noticed, I've been trying to stop with my negative comments about your work and the work of Peter David.

> This is like one of those signs that mentions how many days have gone by without an accident in the workplace...

>...and now the number goes back down to "0".

>Awww.

The thread in which I mentioned I would try my hardest not to talk about you and Peter Daivd and your work in anymore threads happened several weeks ago and had been erased by the moderators, so you may not have seen it. In short, I have a mental illness (a major panic/anxiety disorder) that I am continuously battling, one I take seriously, even if no one else does. Because of this, I hate to argue and fight with people. It makes me fret in more ways than one. And because I don't like to fight with people, I keep things bottled up inside me. Years and years of doing this and never saying what is on my mind when someone annoys me was a part of what led to my problem. And I realize sometimes I harp about things that bug me often on this board, but I am very much trying to fix that. In case no one noticed, I stopped complaining about your books, Mr. Slott, and about Peter David. It just so happened that one of your books will be featuring a character I totally hate, so I posted my feelings about the matter (the fact that I hate the Rhino and keep seeing him).

>So nowhere did I even mention anything about the Bengal, nor do I even give a flying flip about what goes on with him in your title. I don't even flip through the issue anymore at the store.

> No. If you READ my post, you'll notice that I didn't SAY you mentioned Bengal in your last post. What I was pointing out was that in the PAST you made about 3 dozen ERRONEUS and very irate posts about my handling of Bengal. Even after I'd already responded to some telling you that I had cleared how-and-why Bengal was in the book with Bengal's CREATOR, Fabian Nicieza. AND that last week there was a scene in A:TI #5 that addressed ALL of it.

>It would be SO nice if like a major publication if the most VOCAL of posters had to make retractions when they were flat-out wrong.

Again, I never brought up the Bengal and never planned to again. I let the matter drop. It was you who felt the need to bring up the Bengal/AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #5 matter, something I no longer cared about, and I guess you brought it up just to prove a point and shut me up, even though I already shut up about it. *rhe*

> So, your reply is pretty damn insulting, an unwarrented attack in my opinion, one based on the past. I have moved on, so why haven't you?

>Great job moving on. And, btw, your opinion is wrong. Because if you took the time READ the preview pages you were complaining-- you'd see that NOT EVEN the Rhino. But please, hit that note again...

My opinion is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. And I did read the preview, as I stated above, and it didn't matter to me what was said or if it was the real Rhino. Whoever he was, the character looked like the Rhino and that was that.

In any case, I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm going to try hard never to speak of the works of Dan Slott and Peter David and their writing styles. That doesn't mean I won't say something about a character being used in one of their stories (in this last case, the use of the Rhino). And that doesn't mean I won't slip up every now and again, either, it would be nice not to be raked over the coals when it happens (and this is exactly what happens). I apologize for any hurt feelings everyone has on this matter, but the point of my original thread really was meant to be about the fact I dislike the Rhino and just saw him used again, for whatever the reason.

Man, is it time to buy my new comics yet? MS. MARVEL #19, NEW WARRIORS #4, MODOK'S 11#3, BLACK CANARY WEDDING PLANNER, the new COUNTDOWN, and the GRACE/WONDER WOMAN one-shot....nothing to complain about there. \:\-\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




Many of us are completely disenchanted with the Rhino, the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Mr. Hyde, the Juggernaut, the Wrecking Crew, Venom, Carnage, Sabertooth, Magneto, and others due to constant overuse. I'm one of them.

It's not that I don't like these characters, but when we see them trotted out month in and month out, they lose all their appeal, especially, when has been the case under JQ, they're not used very creatively (see, for example, Austin's and Bendis' use of the Wrecking Crew/Wrecker, and the WC didn't do much that was interesting in the recent Omega Flight either).

To some of us, using the same characters endlessly seems both lazy and unimaginative.

I'd much rather see a writer take a lesser or little used character like Karnilla, Black Wing, the Brute, Maelstrom, Umar, the Faceless One, Ymir, Centurion, Halflife, the Man-Bull, Mesmero, the Hang Man, Vermin, the Vanisher, the Griffin, Quicksand, the Petrified Man, the Pirahna, the Enchantress, the original Jester, Llyra, Zaladane, the Tatterdamalion, the Unicorn, ZZAAAXXX, the Mongoose, Mr. Kline, Dragonfly, etc. and really do something with them--that is, set them front and center stage in an arc, as they deserve to be.

Marvel has a backlog of literally hundreds of such 'evil' characters, some who simply never found a creative advocate as, say, Sabertooth did.

A secondary part of this is that all too often, the villains/criminals/antagonists are just trotted out for a few panels with little if any characterization, are treated like objects of humor by obth writer and heroes, and are then thumped back into whatever degree of limbo or oblivion they currently hale from.

Personally, I have little interest in buying a book in which the Man-pae stands around cooking breakfast while wearing a bathrobe over his costume---Marvel has really sacrificed a lot for a few very cheap shots at humor.

But it's easier to come up with a silly, unfunny joke to justify an entire 22-pages than write a full-bodied, full-blooded story like we used to get.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
DragynWulf




> This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino.
>

The point of the thread was that you hated seeing the Rhino again, when it is NOT the Rhino. Had you actually read the issue you would find this out.

>So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified

No it wasn't.

>because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there.
>

No he was not in the issue. Hence me using "Rhino" in quotes.

>There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it.
>

It was complaining about Dan Slott's writing because you were complaining about the Rhino being used "again", when in FACT the Rhino was not used again. Had you taken the time to read the issue you would know exactly what the issue is about instead of jumping to a conclusion of the Rhino being in an issue when in fact he was not.

>It just so happened that he appeared in a Dan Slott-written book. Had the Rhino showed up in IRON MAN #22 or JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45, I still would have complained.
>

And you still would not have read the issue either and still complained about an issue that you have not read at all. So what if a character you do not like appears in an issue you did not read or even buy. Had you bought the issue, then you could actually have something to complain about, but you didn't and the only time you wasted on the subject is you taking the time to go online and complain about something you didn't read, didn't buy and don't know what the story is about.

Have a Nice Day!
-DragynWulf






Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Paul




While I'm not particularly interested in the "controversy" about the Rhino, and I'm *really* not interested in contributing to another iteration of the old "comics were more fun when I started reading them than they are now" tale, your list of villains you want to see revived is intruiging. Some of the characters on the list (the Hang Man, Mongoose, Quicksand, Man-Bull, Vermin, the Unicorn) all have decent gimics, cool designs (or at least the potential for good redesigns), and interesting power sets. I would totally be in favor of, say, Spider-Man having to stop the Man-Bull instead on Mr. Hyde from robbing a bank if a given story called for it. And the team of Mongoose and Quicksand could be substituted for the Wrecking Crew in a number of instances. So I'm totally with you there. Also, for all we know, the various Asgardian villains you mention may well come back now that there's a reqular Thor book again, so there's that. On the other hand, not every villian from Marvel's past is exactly ripe for revival, in my oppinion. Mr. Klein, for example, is probably best left to the dustbin of early 70s comics. His origin is too complicated and inconsistent, and even if a writer wanted to clear all that up, why bother for a relatively generic robot assassin/mastermind from another dimension/time/whatever it was (see, overly convoluted origin). I agree with your overall argument, but only insofar as it encourages the reintroduction of needlessly underused but otherwise sound characters in place of overexposed ones.


> Many of us are completely disenchanted with the Rhino, the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Mr. Hyde, the Juggernaut, the Wrecking Crew, Venom, Carnage, Sabertooth, Magneto, and others due to constant overuse. I'm one of them.
>
> It's not that I don't like these characters, but when we see them trotted out month in and month out, they lose all their appeal, especially, when has been the case under JQ, they're not used very creatively (see, for example, Austin's and Bendis' use of the Wrecking Crew/Wrecker, and the WC didn't do much that was interesting in the recent Omega Flight either).
>
> To some of us, using the same characters endlessly seems both lazy and unimaginative.
>
> I'd much rather see a writer take a lesser or little used character like Karnilla, Black Wing, the Brute, Maelstrom, Umar, the Faceless One, Ymir, Centurion, Halflife, the Man-Bull, Mesmero, the Hang Man, Vermin, the Vanisher, the Griffin, Quicksand, the Petrified Man, the Pirahna, the Enchantress, the original Jester, Llyra, Zaladane, the Tatterdamalion, the Unicorn, ZZAAAXXX, the Mongoose, Mr. Kline, Dragonfly, etc. and really do something with them--that is, set them front and center stage in an arc, as they deserve to be.
>
> Marvel has a backlog of literally hundreds of such 'evil' characters, some who simply never found a creative advocate as, say, Sabertooth did.
>
> A secondary part of this is that all too often, the villains/criminals/antagonists are just trotted out for a few panels with little if any characterization, are treated like objects of humor by obth writer and heroes, and are then thumped back into whatever degree of limbo or oblivion they currently hale from.
>
> Personally, I have little interest in buying a book in which the Man-pae stands around cooking breakfast while wearing a bathrobe over his costume---Marvel has really sacrificed a lot for a few very cheap shots at humor.
>
> But it's easier to come up with a silly, unfunny joke to justify an entire 22-pages than write a full-bodied, full-blooded story like we used to get.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Capt. Nas-Vell!




> This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino. So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there. There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it. It just so happened that he appeared in a Dan Slott-written book. Had the Rhino showed up in IRON MAN #22 or JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45, I still would have complained.
>
Attok, no one is "ganging up on [you]" - it just so happens that everyone who responded looked at your post and mistook you for a neurotic crack addict, and so they responded in kind (no offense to any neurotic crack addicts - I could be classified as one, too).

> In response to Dan Slott's thread:
>
> > Nowhere in the original thread did I insult you and your work at all. I even went out of my way to say that the intent of the post wasn't about your writing.
>
> > In case you haven't noticed, I've been trying to stop with my negative comments about your work and the work of Peter David.
>
> > This is like one of those signs that mentions how many days have gone by without an accident in the workplace...
>
> >...and now the number goes back down to "0".
>
> >Awww.
>
> The thread in which I mentioned I would try my hardest not to talk about you and Peter Daivd and your work in anymore threads happened several weeks ago and had been erased by the moderators, so you may not have seen it.
>
Personally, I don't think you should stop talking about Dan Slott and PAD's work. Yeah, you dislike it. I make fun of Bendis a lot (though now I get to do it at work, instead of here) and mercilessly knock people who claim that New Avengers is the most brilliant comic they've ever read - then I offer them Avengers: The Initiative or She-Hulk or Green Lantern or Justice Society, just to balance things out.
I do feel, however, that you should stop - STOP - whining about the same things over and over. You hate the Rhino. Sure. You hate the Wrecking Crew. Sure. They're used a lot and it gets annoying. Lord knows I'm tired of it, but that won't stop me from enjoying a good comic.
I won't drop my copy of She-Hulk to the floor and leap up and down on it because the Rhino is in it. I will simply go "The Rhino? Again!?!" and then continue reading!

I dunno...make it your sig or something so you don't have to talk about it unless people ask. Like: "Sinestro Corps War: I'm NOT with The Rhino!" or whatever.

>In short, I have a mental illness (a major panic/anxiety disorder) that I am continuously battling, one I take seriously, even if no one else does.
>
Sorry to hear about your mental illness. I have bipolar disorder and mild onset paranoid schizophrenia. I believe there are people watching my every move and plotting against me. \:\-\)

>Because of this, I hate to argue and fight with people. It makes me fret in more ways than one. And because I don't like to fight with people, I keep things bottled up inside me. Years and years of doing this and never saying what is on my mind when someone annoys me was a part of what led to my problem. And I realize sometimes I harp about things that bug me often on this board, but I am very much trying to fix that. In case no one noticed, I stopped complaining about your books, Mr. Slott, and about Peter David. It just so happened that one of your books will be featuring a character I totally hate, so I posted my feelings about the matter (the fact that I hate the Rhino and keep seeing him).
>
> >So nowhere did I even mention anything about the Bengal, nor do I even give a flying flip about what goes on with him in your title. I don't even flip through the issue anymore at the store.
>
> > No. If you READ my post, you'll notice that I didn't SAY you mentioned Bengal in your last post. What I was pointing out was that in the PAST you made about 3 dozen ERRONEUS and very irate posts about my handling of Bengal. Even after I'd already responded to some telling you that I had cleared how-and-why Bengal was in the book with Bengal's CREATOR, Fabian Nicieza. AND that last week there was a scene in A:TI #5 that addressed ALL of it.
>
> >It would be SO nice if like a major publication if the most VOCAL of posters had to make retractions when they were flat-out wrong.
>
I know I've done it. I apologized to PAD at the Spider-Man MB. He didn't respond. I'm still not sure what to think of the man, but I enjoy his comics, and I took back my ban on his books, because it was stupid and immature of me to put down a book I knew I'd enjoyed because I disliked the writer's "politics".

> Again, I never brought up the Bengal and never planned to again. I let the matter drop. It was you who felt the need to bring up the Bengal/AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #5 matter, something I no longer cared about, and I guess you brought it up just to prove a point and shut me up, even though I already shut up about it. *rhe*
>
He didn't bring it up to shut you up. He brought it up to make a point, yeah? People do it all the time.
You say "you wear funny shoes and pants" and then repeat "And funny pants" a while later. I reply and say "You may think I wear funny pants and shoes..." - should I not have brought up the shoes because you didn't mention it this time?
I'll admit, that was a lame example, but I'm on the clock here.

> > So, your reply is pretty damn insulting, an unwarrented attack in my opinion, one based on the past. I have moved on, so why haven't you?
>
> >Great job moving on. And, btw, your opinion is wrong. Because if you took the time READ the preview pages you were complaining-- you'd see that NOT EVEN the Rhino. But please, hit that note again...
>
> My opinion is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. And I did read the preview, as I stated above, and it didn't matter to me what was said or if it was the real Rhino. Whoever he was, the character looked like the Rhino and that was that.
>
So if I put on a Rhino costume, you'll hate me? If you go to the zoo, do you skip the rhino exhibit? WTF, Attok? Get real!

> In any case, I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm going to try hard never to speak of the works of Dan Slott and Peter David and their writing styles.
>
Similar "writing styles" are used by everyone from DeFalco to Nicieza to Geoff-friggin'-Johns! Your opinions are there to be voiced, just not when it's unnecessary. With the Slott/PAD issue, it's as if you post about them when you have nothing else to say, but want to have posted.

>That doesn't mean I won't say something about a character being used in one of their stories (in this last case, the use of the Rhino). And that doesn't mean I won't slip up every now and again, either, it would be nice not to be raked over the coals when it happens (and this is exactly what happens).
>
Consider yourself raked for reopening the thread.

>I apologize for any hurt feelings everyone has on this matter, but the point of my original thread really was meant to be about the fact I dislike the Rhino and just saw him used again, for whatever the reason.
>
I get your POV, really I do. But I also get Mr. Slott's.
Seriously, the way you feel about being ragged on for posting against Dan Slott/PAD/whoever, is probably the same way they feel about you posting against their work - often without having read the stories therein - just the preview pages, summaries or reviews by others.
I know I sound a bit hypocritical - who isn't? - but let's face it, this neverending feud is getting old.

> Man, is it time to buy my new comics yet? MS. MARVEL #19, NEW WARRIORS #4, MODOK'S 11#3, BLACK CANARY WEDDING PLANNER, the new COUNTDOWN, and the GRACE/WONDER WOMAN one-shot....nothing to complain about there. \:\-\)
>
Till you read em, that is. \:\-D
I'll be getting NW, the BCWP, and the next Countdown (which looks good, for thrice). Good luck to you, buddy. Seriously, I hope it's a good week in Attok's World (PARTY TIME! EXCELLENT!).

Captain Nas-Vell!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Attok12




> > This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino.
> >
>
> The point of the thread was that you hated seeing the Rhino again, when it is NOT the Rhino. Had you actually read the issue you would find this out.

Once again, as I stated in the thread you just responded to, I did read the preview pages. Want me to prove it? Check out this thread:

http://www.comicboards.com/mub/view.php?rpl=070831191455

Apparently, everyone skipped this thread or refused to acknowledge it. Check the time/date it was posted. Near the same time as the original thread that started this all. It wasn't just added right now. Heck, I even gave Slott props.

>
> >So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified
>
> No it wasn't.

I say it was justified, and that's that, so we'll just have to agree to disagree about it.

>
> >because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there.

> >
>
> No he was not in the issue. Hence me using "Rhino" in quotes.

And, as stated before, I said I didn't care if it was the real Rhino or not. The character still looked like Rhino and that's all it takes. Seems to me we have another case of people ignoring half of what I wrote and only commenting on the parts one didn't like.

>
> >There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it.
> >
>
> It was complaining about Dan Slott's writing because you were complaining about the Rhino being used "again", when in FACT the Rhino was not used again. Had you taken the time to read the issue you would know exactly what the issue is about instead of jumping to a conclusion of the Rhino being in an issue when in fact he was not.

Once again, I guess I must repeat myself....cut....paste....

Once again, as I stated in the thread you just responded to, I did read the preview pages. Want me to prove it? Check out this thread:

http://www.comicboards.com/mub/view.php?rpl=070831191455

Apparently, everyone skipped this thread or refused to acknowledge it. Check the time/date it was posted. Near the same time as the original thread that started this all. It wasn't just added right now. Heck, I even gave Slott props.



>
> >It just so happened that he appeared in a Dan Slott-written book. Had the Rhino showed up in IRON MAN #22 or JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45, I still would have complained.
> >
>
> And you still would not have read the issue either and still complained about an issue that you have not read at all. So what if a character you do not like appears in an issue you did not read or even buy. Had you bought the issue, then you could actually have something to complain about, but you didn't and the only time you wasted on the subject is you taking the time to go online and complain about something you didn't read, didn't buy and don't know what the story is about.

Ah, but then I have the right to complain about anything I want to, just like you and everyone else does. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. It's not a-okay for you and other people to complain about something and not for me. I've seen people rip into Bendis like crazy, and yet I've received worse reactions than those people did. Funny, isn't it?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




> > This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino. So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there. There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it. It just so happened that he appeared in a Dan Slott-written book. Had the Rhino showed up in IRON MAN #22 or JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45, I still would have complained.
> >
> Attok, no one is "ganging up on [you]" - it just so happens that everyone who responded looked at your post and mistook you for a neurotic crack addict, and so they responded in kind (no offense to any neurotic crack addicts - I could be classified as one, too).

I consider it ganging up on me when every response to the thread is a negative one and rips into me in some way or another, subtle or otherwise. However, I am willing to admit that I feel this way because of my illness. Because I was betrayed by not one but two friends (one of twenty years), I now keep people at arm's length and find excuses to dislike people and not try to make friends with them. And believe me I want this to change and am trying but it's incredibly hard to forget what happened to me in the past and get around it. IT's a part of the process, I suppose.

>
> > In response to Dan Slott's thread:
> >
> > > Nowhere in the original thread did I insult you and your work at all. I even went out of my way to say that the intent of the post wasn't about your writing.
> >
> > > In case you haven't noticed, I've been trying to stop with my negative comments about your work and the work of Peter David.
> >
> > > This is like one of those signs that mentions how many days have gone by without an accident in the workplace...
> >
> > >...and now the number goes back down to "0".
> >
> > >Awww.
> >
> > The thread in which I mentioned I would try my hardest not to talk about you and Peter Daivd and your work in anymore threads happened several weeks ago and had been erased by the moderators, so you may not have seen it.
> >
> Personally, I don't think you should stop talking about Dan Slott and PAD's work. Yeah, you dislike it. I make fun of Bendis a lot (though now I get to do it at work, instead of here) and mercilessly knock people who claim that New Avengers is the most brilliant comic they've ever read - then I offer them Avengers: The Initiative or She-Hulk or Green Lantern or Justice Society, just to balance things out.
> I do feel, however, that you should stop - STOP - whining about the same things over and over. You hate the Rhino. Sure. You hate the Wrecking Crew. Sure. They're used a lot and it gets annoying. Lord knows I'm tired of it, but that won't stop me from enjoying a good comic.

Just last night, I made the decision to keep talking about whatever I want to talk about, complaints or otherwise. My opinion now is that if someone reads what I write and starts to dislike what is said, then that person will stop reading the thread and move on, knowing that what I am saying would turn into my usual complaining. Either that, or the people who don't like what I say on a regular basis will stop reading my thread entirely because they know better. Dan Slott knows how much I don't like his writing, so he should stop reading my threads because he knows better. In my experience, almost everyone likes to argue with people (and call it debating), so they tend to like to pick fights the moment they read something they don't like. I think expert debaters even have the ability to find something negative in anything anyone says so they can start an argument about it.

I say: Ben Grimm walked across the road to get the mail.

And then someone says: Yeah, but why would he walk across to get the mail when he has it delivered to the Baxter Building by Willie Lumpkin?

In any case, I always eventually stop complaining about something, although I always move on to something else, too, unfortunately. Remember when I used to complain about the Thunderbolts so much? I don't anymore do I? I'll stop about the Rhino and Slott and whatever eventually. Of course, then will come that next thing....lol .


> I won't drop my copy of She-Hulk to the floor and leap up and down on it because the Rhino is in it. I will simply go "The Rhino? Again!?!" and then continue reading!
>
> I dunno...make it your sig or something so you don't have to talk about it unless people ask. Like: "Sinestro Corps War: I'm NOT with The Rhino!" or whatever.
>
> >In short, I have a mental illness (a major panic/anxiety disorder) that I am continuously battling, one I take seriously, even if no one else does.
> >
> Sorry to hear about your mental illness. I have bipolar disorder and mild onset paranoid schizophrenia. I believe there are people watching my every move and plotting against me. \:\-\)

Did you know the Monitor was standing behind you, mumbling something about "anomaly"? >:-D lol

>
> >Because of this, I hate to argue and fight with people. It makes me fret in more ways than one. And because I don't like to fight with people, I keep things bottled up inside me. Years and years of doing this and never saying what is on my mind when someone annoys me was a part of what led to my problem. And I realize sometimes I harp about things that bug me often on this board, but I am very much trying to fix that. In case no one noticed, I stopped complaining about your books, Mr. Slott, and about Peter David. It just so happened that one of your books will be featuring a character I totally hate, so I posted my feelings about the matter (the fact that I hate the Rhino and keep seeing him).
> >
> > >So nowhere did I even mention anything about the Bengal, nor do I even give a flying flip about what goes on with him in your title. I don't even flip through the issue anymore at the store.
> >
> > > No. If you READ my post, you'll notice that I didn't SAY you mentioned Bengal in your last post. What I was pointing out was that in the PAST you made about 3 dozen ERRONEUS and very irate posts about my handling of Bengal. Even after I'd already responded to some telling you that I had cleared how-and-why Bengal was in the book with Bengal's CREATOR, Fabian Nicieza. AND that last week there was a scene in A:TI #5 that addressed ALL of it.
> >
> > >It would be SO nice if like a major publication if the most VOCAL of posters had to make retractions when they were flat-out wrong.
> >
> I know I've done it. I apologized to PAD at the Spider-Man MB. He didn't respond. I'm still not sure what to think of the man, but I enjoy his comics, and I took back my ban on his books, because it was stupid and immature of me to put down a book I knew I'd enjoyed because I disliked the writer's "politics".

Admittedly, I ban Peter David's work because I dislike the man himself, but, to be fair, I have read his work before many times, like in SUPERGIRL and AQUAMAN and such, and I eventually got bored with the way he told stories. So it's not just me banning his work because I don't like his attitude.

> So if I put on a Rhino costume, you'll hate me? If you go to the zoo, do you skip the rhino exhibit? WTF, Attok? Get real!

You know what? You dressing up like the Rhino wouldn't bother me, and I don't hate rhinos, although I'd be mighty afraid if one of those critters started chasing me. *eek*
>
> > Man, is it time to buy my new comics yet? MS. MARVEL #19, NEW WARRIORS #4, MODOK'S 11#3, BLACK CANARY WEDDING PLANNER, the new COUNTDOWN, and the GRACE/WONDER WOMAN one-shot....nothing to complain about there. \:\-\)
> >
> Till you read em, that is. \:\-D

lol I fully expect to enjoy these issues. I love MS. MARVEL and have loved every issue so far. I don't expect this issue to be any different. The only thing that bugs me about NEW WARRIORS is the pacing. I am seriously looking forward to seeing the Zodiac! >:-D




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




I think that's a smart idea. You know it annoys you endlessly, so ignore it completely.

I don't care for Bendis' work most of the time, but I have liked some of it, and I praise him whenever I feel it's deserved. He's here to stay for the time being, and that's good for him, and simply 'life' for those of us who don't care for his Avengers work.

I think you should take the same attitude, if you don't mind my saying so, concerning PAD & Slott.

Whatever they do, even if they merge She Hulk with Hellcat permanently or make the Living Tribunal an Avenger, there's nothing we can do except that we hope they do it WELL. Good comics make us all happy.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




> > > This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino. So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there. There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it. It just so happened that he appeared in a Dan Slott-written book. Had the Rhino showed up in IRON MAN #22 or JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45, I still would have complained.
> > >
> > Attok, no one is "ganging up on [you]" - it just so happens that everyone who responded looked at your post and mistook you for a neurotic crack addict, and so they responded in kind (no offense to any neurotic crack addicts - I could be classified as one, too).
>
> I consider it ganging up on me when every response to the thread is a negative one and rips into me in some way or another, subtle or otherwise. However, I am willing to admit that I feel this way because of my illness. Because I was betrayed by not one but two friends (one of twenty years), I now keep people at arm's length and find excuses to dislike people and not try to make friends with them. And believe me I want this to change and am trying but it's incredibly hard to forget what happened to me in the past and get around it. IT's a part of the process, I suppose.
>
> >
> > > In response to Dan Slott's thread:
> > >
> > > > Nowhere in the original thread did I insult you and your work at all. I even went out of my way to say that the intent of the post wasn't about your writing.
> > >
> > > > In case you haven't noticed, I've been trying to stop with my negative comments about your work and the work of Peter David.
> > >
> > > > This is like one of those signs that mentions how many days have gone by without an accident in the workplace...
> > >
> > > >...and now the number goes back down to "0".
> > >
> > > >Awww.
> > >
> > > The thread in which I mentioned I would try my hardest not to talk about you and Peter Daivd and your work in anymore threads happened several weeks ago and had been erased by the moderators, so you may not have seen it.
> > >
> > Personally, I don't think you should stop talking about Dan Slott and PAD's work. Yeah, you dislike it. I make fun of Bendis a lot (though now I get to do it at work, instead of here) and mercilessly knock people who claim that New Avengers is the most brilliant comic they've ever read - then I offer them Avengers: The Initiative or She-Hulk or Green Lantern or Justice Society, just to balance things out.
> > I do feel, however, that you should stop - STOP - whining about the same things over and over. You hate the Rhino. Sure. You hate the Wrecking Crew. Sure. They're used a lot and it gets annoying. Lord knows I'm tired of it, but that won't stop me from enjoying a good comic.
>
> Just last night, I made the decision to keep talking about whatever I want to talk about, complaints or otherwise. My opinion now is that if someone reads what I write and starts to dislike what is said, then that person will stop reading the thread and move on, knowing that what I am saying would turn into my usual complaining. Either that, or the people who don't like what I say on a regular basis will stop reading my thread entirely because they know better. Dan Slott knows how much I don't like his writing, so he should stop reading my threads because he knows better. In my experience, almost everyone likes to argue with people (and call it debating), so they tend to like to pick fights the moment they read something they don't like. I think expert debaters even have the ability to find something negative in anything anyone says so they can start an argument about it.
>
> I say: Ben Grimm walked across the road to get the mail.
>
> And then someone says: Yeah, but why would he walk across to get the mail when he has it delivered to the Baxter Building by Willie Lumpkin?
>
> In any case, I always eventually stop complaining about something, although I always move on to something else, too, unfortunately. Remember when I used to complain about the Thunderbolts so much? I don't anymore do I? I'll stop about the Rhino and Slott and whatever eventually. Of course, then will come that next thing....lol .
>
>
> > I won't drop my copy of She-Hulk to the floor and leap up and down on it because the Rhino is in it. I will simply go "The Rhino? Again!?!" and then continue reading!
> >
> > I dunno...make it your sig or something so you don't have to talk about it unless people ask. Like: "Sinestro Corps War: I'm NOT with The Rhino!" or whatever.
> >
> > >In short, I have a mental illness (a major panic/anxiety disorder) that I am continuously battling, one I take seriously, even if no one else does.
> > >
> > Sorry to hear about your mental illness. I have bipolar disorder and mild onset paranoid schizophrenia. I believe there are people watching my every move and plotting against me. \:\-\)
>
> Did you know the Monitor was standing behind you, mumbling something about "anomaly"? >:-D lol
>
> >
> > >Because of this, I hate to argue and fight with people. It makes me fret in more ways than one. And because I don't like to fight with people, I keep things bottled up inside me. Years and years of doing this and never saying what is on my mind when someone annoys me was a part of what led to my problem. And I realize sometimes I harp about things that bug me often on this board, but I am very much trying to fix that. In case no one noticed, I stopped complaining about your books, Mr. Slott, and about Peter David. It just so happened that one of your books will be featuring a character I totally hate, so I posted my feelings about the matter (the fact that I hate the Rhino and keep seeing him).
> > >
> > > >So nowhere did I even mention anything about the Bengal, nor do I even give a flying flip about what goes on with him in your title. I don't even flip through the issue anymore at the store.
> > >
> > > > No. If you READ my post, you'll notice that I didn't SAY you mentioned Bengal in your last post. What I was pointing out was that in the PAST you made about 3 dozen ERRONEUS and very irate posts about my handling of Bengal. Even after I'd already responded to some telling you that I had cleared how-and-why Bengal was in the book with Bengal's CREATOR, Fabian Nicieza. AND that last week there was a scene in A:TI #5 that addressed ALL of it.
> > >
> > > >It would be SO nice if like a major publication if the most VOCAL of posters had to make retractions when they were flat-out wrong.
> > >
> > I know I've done it. I apologized to PAD at the Spider-Man MB. He didn't respond. I'm still not sure what to think of the man, but I enjoy his comics, and I took back my ban on his books, because it was stupid and immature of me to put down a book I knew I'd enjoyed because I disliked the writer's "politics".
>
> Admittedly, I ban Peter David's work because I dislike the man himself, but, to be fair, I have read his work before many times, like in SUPERGIRL and AQUAMAN and such, and I eventually got bored with the way he told stories. So it's not just me banning his work because I don't like his attitude.
>
> > So if I put on a Rhino costume, you'll hate me? If you go to the zoo, do you skip the rhino exhibit? WTF, Attok? Get real!
>
> You know what? You dressing up like the Rhino wouldn't bother me, and I don't hate rhinos, although I'd be mighty afraid if one of those critters started chasing me. *eek*
> >
> > > Man, is it time to buy my new comics yet? MS. MARVEL #19, NEW WARRIORS #4, MODOK'S 11#3, BLACK CANARY WEDDING PLANNER, the new COUNTDOWN, and the GRACE/WONDER WOMAN one-shot....nothing to complain about there. \:\-\)
> > >
> > Till you read em, that is. \:\-D
>
> lol I fully expect to enjoy these issues. I love MS. MARVEL and have loved every issue so far. I don't expect this issue to be any different. The only thing that bugs me about NEW WARRIORS is the pacing. I am seriously looking forward to seeing the Zodiac! >:-D
>
>


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




..even using the Rhino's image in a story for one or more panels is in a sense 'using the Rhino' in the story, just as in early Wolverine Logan often had conversations in his psyche with Carol Danvers, and we saw Carol, even though she wasn't actually there herself. It can still be said that the writer was 'using Carol Danvers,' since it was the face and character of Carol Danvers as we knew her.

But, I agree for the most part with you, DW. A12 jumped the gun.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Dr. Shallot





>
> Just last night, I made the decision to keep talking about whatever I want to talk about, complaints or otherwise.

Attok, I'm glad you came to this decision. It's what you should do. This is, after all, a message board based on reader opinion, is it not?

As far as the whole Rhino thing, with the exception of my original reply stating that Wanda appeared to be in it too(even though it's obviously not the real Wanda), I stayed out of the whole conversation and watched if from afar over the last few days.

Dan Slott has every right to defend his story, but what I found peculiar was that once he stated his opinion, that's when the "let's jump all over Attok" thing began. If we are all students of Marvel and one of the instructors suddenly shows up and chastises one of those students, should the rest of the class suddenly all stand behind that instructor and join in the reprimand by sticking out their tongues and pointing fingers? The analogy may not be quite what I'm looking for but it's the best I can do on work time.

So stick to your guns and give your opinions.

Using the Rhino, even if it is too demonstrate how the character is overused, is still using the Rhino. I agree, this character has been floating around the MU way too much over the last few years to the point of overkill. Will his appearances diminish after this story? I sincerely hope so. If it doesn't, and the Rhino continues to be one of those villains that is trotted out every few months, then you will feel a measure of vindication.

Has no one made a snap judgement before based on a 6 to 7 page preview? I have, and I'm sure many other posters have too. These previews can't possibly contain the gist of the entire story. They exist simply to wet the appetite of existing fans and to possibly bring some new ones over to the title. The "don't judge until you've read the entire issue" argument doesn't quite apply here. It's an objection against the character, not the storyline. Dan Slott may feel different, but that's his opinion.

I've seen on this board and others many snap reactions to the upcoming issue of Ms. Marvel and the depiction of the Puppet Master. I admit that it looks like his character has taken a drastic, sleazy turn. But what if there's a reason for this? All hasn't been revealed. And yet I don't see any poster being criticized for making assumptions based on this preview. If Brian Reed were to show up and ask a certain poster to just stop speculating and not judge until he/she read the issue, would everyone suddenly jump all over the poster in question? I hope not, but that's what I saw happen with your thread.









Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
DragynWulf




> > > This is in regards to the responses below regarding the "I hate Rhino" thread (in case it drops off): Despite the fact that everyone ganged up on me and said otherwise, I did read the preview of the SHE-HULK #21 issue at the time I first saw it, and it didn't matter to me what was said in the dialogue. It didn’t matter that Slott wrote the Rhino scene to point out the things I’ve said about the use of the Rhino. The point of the thread was that I hated the Rhino.
> > >
> >
> > The point of the thread was that you hated seeing the Rhino again, when it is NOT the Rhino. Had you actually read the issue you would find this out.
>
> Once again, as I stated in the thread you just responded to, I did read the preview pages. Want me to prove it? Check out this thread:
>

I never said to "read the preview pages", I said "Read the issue". Large difference of what... 15-20 pages.

> Apparently, everyone skipped this thread or refused to acknowledge it. Check the time/date it was posted. Near the same time as the original thread that started this all. It wasn't just added right now. Heck, I even gave Slott props.
>
> >
> > >So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified
> >
> > No it wasn't.
>
> I say it was justified, and that's that, so we'll just have to agree to disagree about it.
>

Saying it is justified does not mean that it is indeed justified.

> > >because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there.
>
> > >
> >
> > No he was not in the issue. Hence me using "Rhino" in quotes.
>
> And, as stated before, I said I didn't care if it was the real Rhino or not. The character still looked like Rhino and that's all it takes. Seems to me we have another case of people ignoring half of what I wrote and only commenting on the parts one didn't like.
>

No I read what you said. You still complained that it was the Rhino and continue a rant about it. It is not the Rhino. If you are going to rant about something, then at least do it correctly. But read the issue also before you make that rant, because your rant is unjustified because you are ranting about nothing really, because what you are ranting about is not even in the issue.

> >
> > >There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it.
> > >
> >
> > It was complaining about Dan Slott's writing because you were complaining about the Rhino being used "again", when in FACT the Rhino was not used again. Had you taken the time to read the issue you would know exactly what the issue is about instead of jumping to a conclusion of the Rhino being in an issue when in fact he was not.
>
> Once again, I guess I must repeat myself....cut....paste....

READ THE ISSUE... what is confussing about that? I am not the only one to explain this to you. You just chose to act like we don't read what you say instead of getting to the point being made and that point is READ THE ISSUE. Not the previews, but the ISSUE.


Have a Nice Day!
-DragynWulf






Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
DragynWulf




> > Attok, no one is "ganging up on [you]" - it just so happens that everyone who responded looked at your post and mistook you for a neurotic crack addict, and so they responded in kind (no offense to any neurotic crack addicts - I could be classified as one, too).
>
> I consider it ganging up on me when every response to the thread is a negative one and rips into me in some way or another, subtle or otherwise.
>

And what about your negativitiy that rips into the writing of creators? Not that I don't think it really bothers them, but you are complaining about it being done to you when you do the samething to others.

Have a Nice Day!
-DragynWulf






Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Fiasco




JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45


I want this comic



I make fun of Bendis a lot



What's a Bendis?



I will simply go "The Rhino? Again!?!" and then continue reading!



I missed it...is the Rhino in ANOTHER book yet again? For the love of...okay, i'm just kidding.





> Sorry to hear about your mental illness. I have bipolar disorder and mild onset paranoid schizophrenia. I believe there are people watching my every move and plotting against me. \:\-\)



No we're not. Dude, you got some mustard on your shirt there.



> > >So nowhere did I even mention anything about the Bengal



I hate to admit this, but the Bengals look decent this year. They gotta get by the Steelers though....



> I know I've done it. I apologized to PAD at the Spider-Man MB. He didn't respond.



I'm sure he did in his heart.


> So if I put on a Rhino costume, you'll hate me?


Please do this and post pictures.




> I get your POV, really I do. But I also get Mr. Slott's.
> Seriously, the way you feel about being ragged on for posting against Dan Slott/PAD/whoever, is probably the same way they feel about you posting against their work



In all honesty and seriousness - excellent point. You are absolutely right. Allow me to expound a bit more on it:

Here's a trade secret: I work at a 911 center. On occasion, I have to take emergency calls for service. People call with all variety of issues - some are dying, some are scared, and some just want to know what time of day it is - amazingly enough, you'd be surprised at how many of these people are rude and nasty and downright unappreciative to you for trying to get them the help they need. It would be really easy to say "You know what, lady? I don't like the way you're talking to me and i'm not gonna help you." But then, that's obviously wrong. What is hard to do, is to realize that the lady is having a really bad day and she's affected emotionally by it - and in reality, she probably wouldn't be so unappreciative towards me if it weren't for that (I have to make a joke here) guy in the Rhino suit trying to kill her. In short, It's hard to be understanding. But I do it. Not just because I have to, but because I want to help that person.

If you don't like what someone says, rather than incite them, or complain about it - either let it go or try to see where they're coming from before you respond. Usually, people just want to defend themselves - and thats all the two of you are doing. Maybe you could both just agree to disagree and we can all go back to talking comics in our little happy place here (where we aren't monitoring Capt Nas). That's probably sound advice for all of us on this board - and that includes myself - who allowed himself to get involved in an earlier round of this dispute and didn't help matters by going off on someone.

You know what? All this crap could be avoided if Marvel just skipped holidays all together and shipped the damn books on Wednesday....we should all be reading dammit!!!










Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Smithville Thunderbolt




>The character still looked like Rhino and that's all it takes.

I personally think it makes a big difference whether it is the Rhino or if it looks like the Rhino but isn't, especially since Slott was trying to solve the problem of too many Rhino appearances.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Smithville Thunderbolt




> ..even using the Rhino's image in a story for one or more panels is in a sense 'using the Rhino' in the story, just as in early Wolverine Logan often had conversations in his psyche with Carol Danvers, and we saw Carol, even though she wasn't actually there herself. It can still be said that the writer was 'using Carol Danvers,' since it was the face and character of Carol Danvers as we knew her.

But the whole point of "using" the Rhino look-alike was to draw attention to the Rhino's overexposure.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
zeus




> >The character still looked like Rhino and that's all it takes.
>
> I personally think it makes a big difference whether it is the Rhino or if it looks like the Rhino but isn't, especially since Slott was trying to solve the problem of too many Rhino appearances.

This is it! I'd love to see lesser-used villains show up instead of the Rhino all the time, but the scene WOULDN'T HAVE WORKED if it were a character that isn't over used.
>
>


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




If you have a panic/anxiety disorder, then AVOID as many potentially contentious situations as you can, especially those here involving posters/creators whom you KNOW you have a problem with and have had in the past. You're being your own worst enemy in this regard...don't you see that?

It's no one else's responsibility to cope with your anxiety problem; you can't expect posters here or elsewhere to buffer you or have some sort of ultra sensitivity concerning your health issues.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Attok12





> > Apparently, everyone skipped this thread or refused to acknowledge it. Check the time/date it was posted. Near the same time as the original thread that started this all. It wasn't just added right now. Heck, I even gave Slott props.
> >
> > >
> > > >So, Dragynwulf, my complaint was justified
> > >
> > > No it wasn't.
> >
> > I say it was justified, and that's that, so we'll just have to agree to disagree about it.
> >
>
> Saying it is justified does not mean that it is indeed justified.

That may be so, but that's your opinion. And it may be the opinion of everyone else, too. But my opinion is that I say that I'm justified. Whether you and anyone else agree with me or not, which you don't, doesn't make a difference (to me). My opinion is my opinion.

>
> > > >because I was complaining about the Rhino being used yet again for the zillionth time -- it didn't matter what the Rhino was doing and saying in the issue....he was just there.
> >
> > > >
> > >
> > > No he was not in the issue. Hence me using "Rhino" in quotes.
> >
> > And, as stated before, I said I didn't care if it was the real Rhino or not. The character still looked like Rhino and that's all it takes. Seems to me we have another case of people ignoring half of what I wrote and only commenting on the parts one didn't like.
> >
>
> No I read what you said. You still complained that it was the Rhino and continue a rant about it. It is not the Rhino. If you are going to rant about something, then at least do it correctly. But read the issue also before you make that rant, because your rant is unjustified because you are ranting about nothing really, because what you are ranting about is not even in the issue.

Fine. The real Rhino wasn't in the issue. However, the image of the Rhino was in the issue. And I hate the Rhino, image or otherwise. Are we clear on this part now?


>
> > >
> > > >There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it.
> > > >
> > >
> > > It was complaining about Dan Slott's writing because you were complaining about the Rhino being used "again", when in FACT the Rhino was not used again. Had you taken the time to read the issue you would know exactly what the issue is about instead of jumping to a conclusion of the Rhino being in an issue when in fact he was not.
> >
> > Once again, I guess I must repeat myself....cut....paste....
>
> READ THE ISSUE... what is confussing about that? I am not the only one to explain this to you. You just chose to act like we don't read what you say instead of getting to the point being made and that point is READ THE ISSUE. Not the previews, but the ISSUE.

Sorry, I won't waste $2.99 to read the issue of a comic I normally don't buy. I gave that up when I got screwed with NEW AVENGERS: THE ILLUMINATI #4, the issue that featured Madame Masque on the cover and yet didn't actually feature the character in the issue. But I see what you're trying to say. Really. But it doesn't change my opinion on the matter.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




You are never one of the ones that I talk about whenever I say a poster rips into me. You and Shallot and several other posters are always polite to me, even if I go off on a rant, which is not that often when you look at the big picture. Thanks for the support, though. \:\-\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




> JIMMY CRACK CORN AND I DON’T CARE #45
>
>
> I want this comic

The Elf with a Gun makes a guest appearance! \:\-\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




>
> >
> > Just last night, I made the decision to keep talking about whatever I want to talk about, complaints or otherwise.
>
> Attok, I'm glad you came to this decision. It's what you should do. This is, after all, a message board based on reader opinion, is it not?
>
> As far as the whole Rhino thing, with the exception of my original reply stating that Wanda appeared to be in it too(even though it's obviously not the real Wanda), I stayed out of the whole conversation and watched if from afar over the last few days.
>
> Dan Slott has every right to defend his story, but what I found peculiar was that once he stated his opinion, that's when the "let's jump all over Attok" thing began. If we are all students of Marvel and one of the instructors suddenly shows up and chastises one of those students, should the rest of the class suddenly all stand behind that instructor and join in the reprimand by sticking out their tongues and pointing fingers? The analogy may not be quite what I'm looking for but it's the best I can do on work time.
>
> So stick to your guns and give your opinions.

That's what I plan on doing now. I also plan on warning people at the beginning of a thread if I plan on ranting about something. That way, anyone who hates my ranting can move on to another thread. \:\-\) Otherwise, anyone who reads on after the warning can get all huffy puffy as much as they want cuz I warned 'em and they chose to ignore the warning. >:-D \:\-\)

>
> Using the Rhino, even if it is too demonstrate how the character is overused, is still using the Rhino. I agree, this character has been floating around the MU way too much over the last few years to the point of overkill. Will his appearances diminish after this story? I sincerely hope so. If it doesn't, and the Rhino continues to be one of those villains that is trotted out every few months, then you will feel a measure of vindication.
>
> Has no one made a snap judgement before based on a 6 to 7 page preview? I have, and I'm sure many other posters have too. These previews can't possibly contain the gist of the entire story. They exist simply to wet the appetite of existing fans and to possibly bring some new ones over to the title. The "don't judge until you've read the entire issue" argument doesn't quite apply here. It's an objection against the character, not the storyline. Dan Slott may feel different, but that's his opinion.
>
> I've seen on this board and others many snap reactions to the upcoming issue of Ms. Marvel and the depiction of the Puppet Master. I admit that it looks like his character has taken a drastic, sleazy turn. But what if there's a reason for this? All hasn't been revealed. And yet I don't see any poster being criticized for making assumptions based on this preview. If Brian Reed were to show up and ask a certain poster to just stop speculating and not judge until he/she read the issue, would everyone suddenly jump all over the poster in question? I hope not, but that's what I saw happen with your thread.

This kind of thing has happened a lot with me, but eh. As far as the Puppet Master is concerned, I got sick of the way he was always used, so this new take is refreshing to me. Will it work? The story has yet to play out completely, but I find it interesting so far.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




> > > Attok, no one is "ganging up on [you]" - it just so happens that everyone who responded looked at your post and mistook you for a neurotic crack addict, and so they responded in kind (no offense to any neurotic crack addicts - I could be classified as one, too).
> >
> > I consider it ganging up on me when every response to the thread is a negative one and rips into me in some way or another, subtle or otherwise.
> >
>
> And what about your negativitiy that rips into the writing of creators? Not that I don't think it really bothers them, but you are complaining about it being done to you when you do the samething to others.

That's because I've learned over the years to do to others what they do to me, first, last or in-between. It came from being Mr. Nice Guy all the time, always taking insults or nastiness without saying a peep. That gives the other person the belief that they can do whatever they want to me and I will just let it ride. And that's not the correct view, in my opinion. Now, when someone wants to be masty to me, badda-bing. You get it back. If you don't like it, don't be nasty to me. Simple. Easy. And I know it goes both ways, by the way, but I usually do everything inself-defense. The original thread was about my dislike of the Rhino. That was it. Then the nastiness began, and I retaliated. In any case, this is getting pointless and it's not doing my mental health any good, so I'm moving on. I hope you will, too.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




> If you have a panic/anxiety disorder, then AVOID as many potentially contentious situations as you can, especially those here involving posters/creators whom you KNOW you have a problem with and have had in the past. You're being your own worst enemy in this regard...don't you see that?

Yep, I'm very well aware I'm my own worst enemy in this regard. I'm trying to fix that, though, slowly though it may be.

>
> It's no one else's responsibility to cope with your anxiety problem; you can't expect posters here or elsewhere to buffer you or have some sort of ultra sensitivity concerning your health issues.

It would be nice if there was some sympathy from those who just like to rip into me, but you are very much right, TS.

One of the reasons I like the new NOVA series by Abnett and Lanning is because Richard Rider is currently overworking himself into exhaustion trying to police the universe, and work burnout was a factor that led to my problem. I am hoping Abnett and Lanning will run with the plot and show what happens when even a super-hero suddenly can't take the stress anymore.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




...everyone likes you, A12, or almost everyone, you're a lovable fellow that adds enormously to this board with your sense of fun, intelligence, and enthusiasm.

I mean, The Marvel Universe Board = Attok12, they're practically the same thing to my way of thinking.

We all have to learn what and who to avoid on occasion, so just do that here.

Slott + PAD = Attok12...

...will probably never be a winning formula.

Keep in mind that if someone barks at you or disagrees, as they certainly will from time to time, it isn't necessarily a condemnation of you, personally, in any sense, and only reflects on a very very minute part of your person.

If anything, I think being too nice is a problem for you, not the opposite. And even at this remove, of only knowing one another through this board and through a handful of Hammer-themed emails, I can tell you you'll always have a friend in me.

Now I'd better stop before someone yells, 'Get a room!'

Glad to hear you're enjoying Nova.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




..though of course the ranter has to take responsibility for what results from his rant, or any counter-rants, just as potential readers have to take responsibility IF they insist on reading 'rants' they don't care to read or haven't cared to read in the past.

Also keep in mind that 'ranters' generally lose their audience very quickly due to the completely one-sided, almost cultish nature of their argument.

None of us are forced to do anything here except follow the very liberal Alvaro rules. I think our mods on this board are also excellent.

I would just advise you to keep a sense of perspective on all subjects, themes, and issues regarding hero comics... even if it is the death of Darkstar.

You're The Man, you know it.

We should all be so lucky to be so totally knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Marvel as you are.

On occasion, Hostility is merely Envy or Jealousy...so said Psychologist Otto Rank long ago, and I agree.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Tiger Shark




It's not a matter of gimmick for me, but a matter of characterization. That's what I want to see again: criminals with characters, specific characters, like we used to see in the late 60s, 70s, and 80s: the Living Monoliths, the Sphinxes, the Maelstroms, the Llyras.

Also, 'lower tier' criminals like the Unicorn, Quicksand, the Man-Beast, the Death-Stalker, and the Hangman also had their 'reasons for being,' and were specific characters. You wouldn't easily mistake the Vamp for the Viper of the Viper for Llyra, even if just reading the script of an issue. Or the Enchantress for Umar.

These folks were not 'the interchangeable sieves' most villains have recently become.

I think Mr. Kline's entire opus could be revamped and he could be brought back into the MU in a major way. I don't find his backstory complicated and obtuse, but imaginative and dynamic. I, myself, could do a lot with it. I'd much rather see him be behind the Avengers quagmire rather than a bunch of loony Skrulls.

Good knows his saga was heads and tails above Bendis' current/recent NA stuff.

Kline was a 'Mr. Sinister'-type villain before such villains were common. He remained behind the scenes, created heroes and villains and clones, and manipulated everyone.

He still gets my vote, and I'd love to see him come back, especially since Ultron is now a naked, heavy-teated female with a ponderous mind who likes to stand around in the rain and preach.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
DragynWulf




> > > > Attok, no one is "ganging up on [you]" - it just so happens that everyone who responded looked at your post and mistook you for a neurotic crack addict, and so they responded in kind (no offense to any neurotic crack addicts - I could be classified as one, too).
> > >
> > > I consider it ganging up on me when every response to the thread is a negative one and rips into me in some way or another, subtle or otherwise.
> > >
> >
> > And what about your negativitiy that rips into the writing of creators? Not that I don't think it really bothers them, but you are complaining about it being done to you when you do the samething to others.
>
> That's because I've learned over the years to do to others what they do to me, first, last or in-between.
>

Your negativity towards the creators is done because you think they would do it to you first? Believe me, they have better things to do that to do research to find out that you buy their comic, then go on a message board and be negative about you. Just to point out, that means that they would have to know you bought the comic before you posted your complaint/message about the comic (or preview of the comic), which is impossible. So I ask again... what about your negativity towards the creators. They did not do to you first, you did to them first and are using an excuse for it.

>In any case, this is getting pointless and it's not doing my mental health any good
>

To be honest, if you can't take discussion be it good or negative or whatever, because it doesn't do you any good, then maybe message boards are not something you should be doing. Just an observation/suggest and not to be taken in a negative way.

Have a Nice Day!
-DragynWulf






Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
DragynWulf




> > No I read what you said. You still complained that it was the Rhino and continue a rant about it. It is not the Rhino. If you are going to rant about something, then at least do it correctly. But read the issue also before you make that rant, because your rant is unjustified because you are ranting about nothing really, because what you are ranting about is not even in the issue.
>
> Fine. The real Rhino wasn't in the issue. However, the image of the Rhino was in the issue. And I hate the Rhino, image or otherwise. Are we clear on this part now?
>

An image of the Rhino appeared in the subscription pages of every Marvel comic for 3 months during the 80/90's... I guess that automatically means you hated those issues as well? An image is not the story. You are judging a book/issue by a few images and nothing more just because it looks like someone.


> >
> > > >
> > > > >There was nothing in the original thread about how much I dislike Slott's work. There were no potshots. The thread was about how much I disliked the Rhino. That’s it.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > It was complaining about Dan Slott's writing because you were complaining about the Rhino being used "again", when in FACT the Rhino was not used again. Had you taken the time to read the issue you would know exactly what the issue is about instead of jumping to a conclusion of the Rhino being in an issue when in fact he was not.
> > >
> > > Once again, I guess I must repeat myself....cut....paste....
> >
> > READ THE ISSUE... what is confussing about that? I am not the only one to explain this to you. You just chose to act like we don't read what you say instead of getting to the point being made and that point is READ THE ISSUE. Not the previews, but the ISSUE.
>
> Sorry, I won't waste $2.99 to read the issue of a comic I normally don't buy. I gave that up when I got screwed with NEW AVENGERS: THE ILLUMINATI #4, the issue that featured Madame Masque on the cover and yet didn't actually feature the character in the issue.
>

Cover art rarely appears in the comics these days no matter what title or company you read. Yet you "waste" your money on those that have the cover different than the interior.


Have a Nice Day!
-DragynWulf






Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




> > > > >


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Attok12




....you reminded me of Darkstar, who is dead.... \:'\(

lol


Maybe that Darkstar was a bloody Skrull and the real deal is still alive somewhere. \:\-\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
1 2  >> All

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software