Marvel Universe >> View Thread

Author
Nas!




While I hate the event, I love the universe and I'm still able to follow the line, so I've got my theories. Who do you think are Skrulls?

My current thoughts are that all the New Avengers have been a particular Skrull at some point. That is, there's one Skrull whose circulated amongst the entire team, playing all or almost all of them at some point. This could "work" because of the fact that the team has always been so loosely-knit: with Spidey, Cap, Iron Man and Wolverine doing their solo things, and Cage et al. often out of sight from the rest of the universe, it sounds like a Bendis plot to me.

So one of the Wolverines is probably a Skrull, or has been (most likely the one in NA).

Spider-Woman may be a Skrull right now. Why? What's the last thing you'd expect a Skrull to do? Bring Tony Stark a Skrull corpse and say "Hey, they're invading", even though everyone else suspects Tony himself of being a Skrull. Not to mention that that move allowed her to infiltrate the (Mighty) Avengers with ease.

"The Hulk isn't a bear." - Dan Slott

Visit Letters from the Batcave!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows XP
Nas!




> While I hate the event, I love the universe and I'm still able to follow the line, so I've got my theories. Who do you think are Skrulls?
>
> My current thoughts are that all the New Avengers have been a particular Skrull at some point. That is, there's one Skrull whose circulated amongst the entire team, playing all or almost all of them at some point. This could "work" because of the fact that the team has always been so loosely-knit: with Spidey, Cap, Iron Man and Wolverine doing their solo things, and Cage et al. often out of sight from the rest of the universe, it sounds like a Bendis plot to me.
>
> So one of the Wolverines is probably a Skrull, or has been (most likely the one in NA).
>
> Spider-Woman may be a Skrull right now. Why? What's the last thing you'd expect a Skrull to do? Bring Tony Stark a Skrull corpse and say "Hey, they're invading", even though everyone else suspects Tony himself of being a Skrull. Not to mention that that move allowed her to infiltrate the (Mighty) Avengers with ease.
>
> "The Hulk isn't a bear." - Dan Slott
>
Visit Letters from the Batcave!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows XP
Ironing Man




How nuts would it be for Luke Cage to be a skrull. I know he's kind of being set up as the big hero (which I do like), but what if it's only to make the reveal that more crazy. He acted like I think any parent would if he thought his baby was in danger, but what if he was really upset that his half skrull child is now in the arms of Tony Stark (the most likely savior of mankind). Like this supposed skrull-luke actually cares for Jessica or at least for his hybrid offspring


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Goblin




> While I hate the event, I love the universe and I'm still able to follow the line, so I've got my theories. Who do you think are Skrulls?


Lindy, Sentry's wife - The whole dying and coming back thing she's done twice now? It's a little suspicious. But it is possible there's something going on there with Sentry's powers. Still, it's kinda hard to believe the Skrulls wouldn't want some kind of leash on Sentry. Manipulating him through his wife would be a good way of controlling him.

Jessica Jones - I say the baby is fully human, and Jessica was replaced sometime between giving birth and accepting Luke's proposal. The next best thing to replacing Luke is being able to control him by having his baby hostage. And now that she's in Avengers Tower, he can't do a thing about it when/if he finds out the truth besides try to convince people she's the Skrull and not him.

Namor - I say Black Bolt wasn't the member of the Illuminati replaced years ago. It was Namor. Atlantis has been scattered in sleeper cells all over the world, meaning he can still give them commands but it would probably be very difficult for any of the heroes to find and convince them not to listen because he's a Skrull.

Wasp - I have no big theory here. Just out of the Mighty Avengers lineup, I see her as the most likely candidate. I doubt Tony, Sentry, Carol or Ares are Skrulls. If Simon's an energy being like he pointed out he was in a recent issue, probably not a Skrull. Natasha's expressed knowing too many intimate secrets over in Cap's book to be a Skrull. That kinda singles out Jan.

Nightcrawler - The X-Skrull who attacked the Illuminati looked like he had the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Cyclops. Colossus' return was a little too elaborate for a Skrull hoax. Being in constant contact with more than one telepath, Cyclops is probably too risky to try. I just doubt it's Wolverine. So that leaves Nightcrawler, who I can't think of any reason he couldn't easily be a Skrull.

Those are the picks I'm going with right now.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows XP
Nas!




> > While I hate the event, I love the universe and I'm still able to follow the line, so I've got my theories. Who do you think are Skrulls?
>
>
> Lindy, Sentry's wife - The whole dying and coming back thing she's done twice now? It's a little suspicious. But it is possible there's something going on there with Sentry's powers. Still, it's kinda hard to believe the Skrulls wouldn't want some kind of leash on Sentry. Manipulating him through his wife would be a good way of controlling him.
>
Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about her, but she was on my list as well. Especially after she told Tony to find a way to kill Sentry. I assume he's the wild card for the Skrulls.

> Jessica Jones - I say the baby is fully human, and Jessica was replaced sometime between giving birth and accepting Luke's proposal. The next best thing to replacing Luke is being able to control him by having his baby hostage. And now that she's in Avengers Tower, he can't do a thing about it when/if he finds out the truth besides try to convince people she's the Skrull and not him.
>
Some good points raised here. Especially since she's all "I'm a nice person now" and "I'm a mom" and whatever.

> Namor - I say Black Bolt wasn't the member of the Illuminati replaced years ago. It was Namor. Atlantis has been scattered in sleeper cells all over the world, meaning he can still give them commands but it would probably be very difficult for any of the heroes to find and convince them not to listen because he's a Skrull.
>
Last time we saw Namor (in The Order), he seemed to be himself. It's hard to tell sometimes if Fraction means for some of the flashback panels to be actual thoughts of the character being interviewed (in #7's case, Namor), or if he's just showing readers past events that tie into what that character is speaking about. If it's the former, then it's Namor, as he displayed memories of past experiences.

> Wasp - I have no big theory here. Just out of the Mighty Avengers lineup, I see her as the most likely candidate. I doubt Tony, Sentry, Carol or Ares are Skrulls. If Simon's an energy being like he pointed out he was in a recent issue, probably not a Skrull. Natasha's expressed knowing too many intimate secrets over in Cap's book to be a Skrull. That kinda singles out Jan.
>
Could explain why she's written as a ditz, though I doubt it's her. Especially since we're privy to her thoughts when she interacts with Hank, and we see her doing '60's Wasp'-type stuff, like getting folks to try on new costumes and rubbish. If they're gonna use the conceit that some of the Skrulls are sleepers who are unaware of their own Skrull status till the Invasion, then I will think even less of this event, and this whole guessing game Bendis is playing up is pointless. So no, I don't think Jan is a Skrull.

> Nightcrawler - The X-Skrull who attacked the Illuminati looked like he had the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Cyclops. Colossus' return was a little too elaborate for a Skrull hoax. Being in constant contact with more than one telepath, Cyclops is probably too risky to try. I just doubt it's Wolverine. So that leaves Nightcrawler, who I can't think of any reason he couldn't easily be a Skrull.
>
I took the X-Skrull to just be another unexplained variation on Super-Skrull (K'lrt), but instead of having the FF's powers, this one has the X-Men's powers. Likewise, the hammer-wielding Skrull was more than likely supposed to be an Avengers-Skrull. It's an inherently cool idea, but there are story reasons that just having them introduced without much explanation make them seem silly. For one thing, if you could create Skrulls with the power sets of an entire team of heroes, with rosters from various past teams in the MU, why would you make an "X-Men" Skrull or an "Avengers" Skrull? Why not take the most powerful or useful abilities from all the teams and create an army of Skrulls with, say, the hammer of Thor, the strength of the Hulk, Nightcrawler's teleportation and Quicksilver's super-speed?

> Those are the picks I'm going with right now.

"The Hulk isn't a bear." - Dan Slott

Visit Letters from the Batcave!


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows XP
Goblin




> > Lindy, Sentry's wife - The whole dying and coming back thing she's done twice now? It's a little suspicious. But it is possible there's something going on there with Sentry's powers. Still, it's kinda hard to believe the Skrulls wouldn't want some kind of leash on Sentry. Manipulating him through his wife would be a good way of controlling him.
> >
> Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about her, but she was on my list as well. Especially after she told Tony to find a way to kill Sentry. I assume he's the wild card for the Skrulls.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were laying down plans to make him fight on their side when the inevitable showdown starts.

> > Namor - I say Black Bolt wasn't the member of the Illuminati replaced years ago. It was Namor. Atlantis has been scattered in sleeper cells all over the world, meaning he can still give them commands but it would probably be very difficult for any of the heroes to find and convince them not to listen because he's a Skrull.
> >
> Last time we saw Namor (in The Order), he seemed to be himself. It's hard to tell sometimes if Fraction means for some of the flashback panels to be actual thoughts of the character being interviewed (in #7's case, Namor), or if he's just showing readers past events that tie into what that character is speaking about. If it's the former, then it's Namor, as he displayed memories of past experiences.

I lean towards the flashback panels not being from Namor's headspace, because the first couple were from before he was even born, I think. And then the rest were instances of pretty known history that aren't too intimate for only Namor to know.

> > Wasp - I have no big theory here. Just out of the Mighty Avengers lineup, I see her as the most likely candidate. I doubt Tony, Sentry, Carol or Ares are Skrulls. If Simon's an energy being like he pointed out he was in a recent issue, probably not a Skrull. Natasha's expressed knowing too many intimate secrets over in Cap's book to be a Skrull. That kinda singles out Jan.
> >
> Could explain why she's written as a ditz, though I doubt it's her. Especially since we're privy to her thoughts when she interacts with Hank, and we see her doing '60's Wasp'-type stuff, like getting folks to try on new costumes and rubbish. If they're gonna use the conceit that some of the Skrulls are sleepers who are unaware of their own Skrull status till the Invasion, then I will think even less of this event, and this whole guessing game Bendis is playing up is pointless. So no, I don't think Jan is a Skrull.

I don't think being privy to her thoughts is any indication one way or another. It was pointed out in Illuminati that Xavier could still "hear" Black Bolt's thoughts even after the Skrull revealed himself. The Skrulls impersonating heroes must be having these in-character thoughts or they'd all be detected by telepaths.

Also, I don't really consider allegedly out-of-character behavior to be a sign of a Skrull, because that seems kinda... backwards. It's most likely the people acting weird are who they say they are. A Skrull would probably trying to be as predictably in-character as possible other than to make whatever move they have to in order to further the invasion plans.

But I did remember that I actually do have a big theory about why Jan could be a Skrull. I just forgot it when I first posted. It's the idea that the Skrulls have had some involvement in most of the big events of that past few years. Including Avengers Disassembled. It was Jan who made a supposedly thoughtless comment that got Wanda's crazy ball rolling. I don't remember being shown any other character having such direct involvement in what happened that wasn't completely reactionary to the chaos Wanda was causing. If the Skrulls had a hand in this, it's most likely that a Skrull agent would have done exactly what Jan did.

> > Nightcrawler - The X-Skrull who attacked the Illuminati looked like he had the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Cyclops. Colossus' return was a little too elaborate for a Skrull hoax. Being in constant contact with more than one telepath, Cyclops is probably too risky to try. I just doubt it's Wolverine. So that leaves Nightcrawler, who I can't think of any reason he couldn't easily be a Skrull.
> >
> I took the X-Skrull to just be another unexplained variation on Super-Skrull (K'lrt), but instead of having the FF's powers, this one has the X-Men's powers. Likewise, the hammer-wielding Skrull was more than likely supposed to be an Avengers-Skrull. It's an inherently cool idea, but there are story reasons that just having them introduced without much explanation make them seem silly. For one thing, if you could create Skrulls with the power sets of an entire team of heroes, with rosters from various past teams in the MU, why would you make an "X-Men" Skrull or an "Avengers" Skrull? Why not take the most powerful or useful abilities from all the teams and create an army of Skrulls with, say, the hammer of Thor, the strength of the Hulk, Nightcrawler's teleportation and Quicksilver's super-speed?

I really doubt the Skrulls are able to perfectly copy the abilities of the most powerful heroes. The Skrull who pretended to be Black Bolt clearly didn't really have his power or the Illuminati would be dead. That's probably a reason they don't just make an army of them and take over by sheer force. They can't muster enough force to make it a decisive victory. And open conflict probably not the Skrull;s preference.

But it does seem that these Skrulls impersonating heroes are mostly Super Skrulls. The Skrull who took Black Bolt's identity also had copies of Namor, Xavier and Reed's powers. It's like they have contingency plans to take over the identity of someone else who belongs to the group they've infiltrated if the opportunity presents itself or it becomes necessary. That's why I think if an X-Skrull showed up with the power set of Cyclops, Wolverine, Colossus and Nightcrawler then he was impersonating one of those people or being prepared to.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows XP
Harry Osborn




> > While I hate the event, I love the universe and I'm still able to follow the line, so I've got my theories. Who do you think are Skrulls?
>
>
> Lindy, Sentry's wife - The whole dying and coming back thing she's done twice now? It's a little suspicious. But it is possible there's something going on there with Sentry's powers. Still, it's kinda hard to believe the Skrulls wouldn't want some kind of leash on Sentry. Manipulating him through his wife would be a good way of controlling him.
>

Possible, but I'm hoping against it--she's Sentry's only supporting cast member. I'm also thinking Sentry has some sort of healing power.

> Jessica Jones - I say the baby is fully human, and Jessica was replaced sometime between giving birth and accepting Luke's proposal. The next best thing to replacing Luke is being able to control him by having his baby hostage. And now that she's in Avengers Tower, he can't do a thing about it when/if he finds out the truth besides try to convince people she's the Skrull and not him.
>
> Namor - I say Black Bolt wasn't the member of the Illuminati replaced years ago. It was Namor. Atlantis has been scattered in sleeper cells all over the world, meaning he can still give them commands but it would probably be very difficult for any of the heroes to find and convince them not to listen because he's a Skrull.
>

If that was true, though, why go against them on two seperate occasions? Both the Hulk situation and Civil War.

> Wasp - I have no big theory here. Just out of the Mighty Avengers lineup, I see her as the most likely candidate. I doubt Tony, Sentry, Carol or Ares are Skrulls. If Simon's an energy being like he pointed out he was in a recent issue, probably not a Skrull. Natasha's expressed knowing too many intimate secrets over in Cap's book to be a Skrull. That kinda singles out Jan.
>

Also her big change in attitude regarding Hank Pym between Kurt Busiek's Avengers run and present--though it seemed to start during Chuck Austin's run. She's also lost quite a bit of maturity--more like what the casual observer would assume how she acted. She's my vote for Skrull double-agent.

> Nightcrawler - The X-Skrull who attacked the Illuminati looked like he had the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Cyclops. Colossus' return was a little too elaborate for a Skrull hoax. Being in constant contact with more than one telepath, Cyclops is probably too risky to try. I just doubt it's Wolverine. So that leaves Nightcrawler, who I can't think of any reason he couldn't easily be a Skrull.

Eh, I'm still thinking/hoping it's Emma Frost, based on her personality-change in recent years and the fact that she's practically gained complete control of the X-Men away from the founders. Although, if the X-Skrull is a hint, I would go with Rogue, who's shown the ability to wield multiple borrowed powers in the past.

>
> Those are the picks I'm going with right now.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Silver




> > > While I hate the event, I love the universe and I'm still able to follow the line, so I've got my theories. Who do you think are Skrulls?

> > Namor - I say Black Bolt wasn't the member of the Illuminati replaced years ago. It was Namor. Atlantis has been scattered in sleeper cells all over the world, meaning he can still give them commands but it would probably be very difficult for any of the heroes to find and convince them not to listen because he's a Skrull.
> >
>
> If that was true, though, why go against them on two seperate occasions? Both the Hulk situation and Civil War.
>
It's easier to go against something when you've already figured out that the others will go with it no matter what you say.

BTW, you guys do need to add Wonder Man to the Skrull suspect list, I can't believe that the writers are using his ionic powers as badly as they are on purpose


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software