Marvel Universe >> View Thread

Author
Echo




Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, both are amazing talents and both write two ongoings called Nova and Guardians Of The Galaxy. They have done an exceptional job creating amazing, action packed, witty stories for both books. I want Silver Surfer to be placed in their brilliant hands!

I always wanted a Silver Surfer ongoing and DnA should be put on that book! Who else agrees with me??

Echo


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Blue Beetle




> Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, both are amazing talents and both write two ongoings called Nova and Guardians Of The Galaxy. They have done an exceptional job creating amazing, action packed, witty stories for both books.


Yup. No argument. Abnett & Lanning are towering titans of talent.


> I want Silver Surfer to be placed in their brilliant hands!


Won't work right now. He's still Galactus's herald. There's no good way to give him solo adventures, unless you want to watch him bring Galactus to dinner.


> I always wanted a Silver Surfer ongoing and DnA should be put on that book! Who else agrees with me??


Super-Skrull. That's the book I want.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Unusual Suspect




I love the tone, the writing, and the art of Guardians, but i am starting to get bored with Nova.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.16 on Windows Vista
Ohotmu the all-knowing




> > I want Silver Surfer to be placed in their brilliant hands!
>
>
> Won't work right now. He's still Galactus's herald. There's no good way to give him solo adventures, unless you want to watch him bring Galactus to dinner.

Agreed. Our boy Norrin is basically an extension of Galactus for the foreseeable future. The same is pretty much true of Stardust as well.

And I don't know if Firelord or Terrax have the gravitas to carry anything other than guest shots. Sure, they're legitimately some of the most powerful beings in the universe, but are they really interesting enough to even carry their own miniseries? Maybe with the right creative team.


>
> Super-Skrull. That's the book I want.
>

Agreed. He was given great depth during his mini as well as the Annihilation events. I think he has the traction to pull off an ongoing.


However, I've never been a fan of overburdening the best creative talent. DnA have some great stuff going on with two different titles. If the choice is
a) two great titles
b) three good titles
I'll take option "a" every time. I don't know the limits of DnA's creativity, but I'd prefer quality to quantity.

Galactic-scale stories are hard to write consistently well, as shown by the continual need to reboot the Silver Surfer title. Surfer as well as other characters like Warlock and Captain Marvel always have great popularity, but their series have historically failed mostly due to poor storytelling.

When the scope of the characters is that "big", you need to have commensurately grand scale for their tales. And not every writer or team can write to that scale with consistent quality. I used to think that the list started and ended with Jim Starlin, but DnA have shown that they have some game.

I'm not a storyteller, but I suspect that the creative well required for this scale runs dry more quickly than "merely" local or global scale stories. If a great story idea that was originally slated for Nova gets used up because you had to create something for a Surfer or Super-Skrull title, that likely puts you one story closer to something mediocre for Nova.

Quality > Quantity

Ohotmu



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
mjyoung




> > > I want Silver Surfer to be placed in their brilliant hands!
> >
> > Won't work right now. He's still Galactus's herald. There's no good way to give him solo adventures, unless you want to watch him bring Galactus to dinner.
>
> Agreed. Our boy Norrin is basically an extension of Galactus for the foreseeable future. The same is pretty much true of Stardust as well.

It's probably best for Marvel to give the character a rest for a little while. Then they can bring him back in one of their big events.

> And I don't know if Firelord or Terrax have the gravitas to carry anything other than guest shots. Sure, they're legitimately some of the most powerful beings in the universe, but are they really interesting enough to even carry their own miniseries? Maybe with the right creative team.

I think Firelord can. His characterization in Annihilation was great, and made me really want to see more of the character. But a miniseries at most.

> > Super-Skrull. That's the book I want.
>
> Agreed. He was given great depth during his mini as well as the Annihilation events. I think he has the traction to pull off an ongoing.

There are a lot of great cosmic characters that have the ability to sell a miniseries. But there are only a select few that could do an ongoing, and I don't think Super Skrull is one of them.

> However, I've never been a fan of overburdening the best creative talent. DnA have some great stuff going on with two different titles. If the choice is
> a) two great titles
> b) three good titles
> I'll take option "a" every time. I don't know the limits of DnA's creativity, but I'd prefer quality to quantity.

Agreed. Nova and GotG aren't exactly high sellers, and any third cosmic series will effect their sales. I think it is best to just wait on a third cosmic title. Perhaps it would be good to spin out a third series after the next event?

> Galactic-scale stories are hard to write consistently well, as shown by the continual need to reboot the Silver Surfer title. Surfer as well as other characters like Warlock and Captain Marvel always have great popularity, but their series have historically failed mostly due to poor storytelling.

I think one of the reasons they have failed is because there were too many cosmic series out at the times. Back when Silver Surfer was the only cosmic title, the series was successful. But as time moved on, more and more cosmic series came out at the same time. Look at the 90s, when they have Infinity Watch, Silver Surfer, Nova, Quasar, etc.

The key is to have slow and positive growth of a genre. Growing too fast will hurt you in the long run.
urfer or Super-Skrull title, that likely puts you one story closer to something mediocre for Nova.
>
> Quality > Quantity

I think another problem with a third cosmic series is that it would be hard to get a unique take on a series. There is already a powerful solo hero title (Nova), and there is already a cosmic team title (GotG). Other popular takes could be a teen cosmic hero \(\?\) , or female cosmic hero \(\?\) , both of which I don't think there is a clear candidate for. If you do another powerful solo hero title, like Silver Surfer, you would dilute the Nova title and take sales away from him. The same thing if you do another cosmic team title.

But if DnA want to do another Marvel title, I think that's fine. There are a few titles that I can think of that could use better writers, or simply don't have a solid creative team.

Another option would be to give them the occasional cosmic miniseries, which might be a good thing to do. It would allow them to tie up alot of loose ends, and give the current conditions of various cosmic characters.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows XP
Evil G:DR




Failing that, put Abnett's 40k cred to use on Kree StarForce or something.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
bd2999




> Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, both are amazing talents and both write two ongoings called Nova and Guardians Of The Galaxy. They have done an exceptional job creating amazing, action packed, witty stories for both books. I want Silver Surfer to be placed in their brilliant hands!
>
> I always wanted a Silver Surfer ongoing and DnA should be put on that book! Who else agrees with me??
>
> Echo

He knows how to write cosmic stories very well. Surfer is a tough guy to write though. To be honest my hopes for guys on Surfer ongoings were Keith Giffen and DnA so whatever works. Can't have it all I guess.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Son of Hulk




> Failing that, put Abnett's 40k cred to use on Kree StarForce or something.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Not Forceworks! That was simply bad, bad, bad!!!! That is probably the worst stuff out of all the DnA collabroations that I have seen!


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Evil G:DR




> > Failing that, put Abnett's 40k cred to use on Kree StarForce or something.
>
> NOOOOOOOOO!!! Not Forceworks! That was simply bad, bad, bad!!!! That is probably the worst stuff out of all the DnA collabroations that I have seen!

No, they've done earlier than FW stuff that I didn't think was very good, which I'll do you the favour of not pointing you towards, but outside of the artist on the first 4 issues, there's nothing bad about FW at all, it gave us some great new characters, and it showcases the sci-fi/horror elements they've been working into superhero books ever since.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Lightning Strike




> Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, both are amazing talents and both write two ongoings called Nova and Guardians Of The Galaxy. They have done an exceptional job creating amazing, action packed, witty stories for both books. I want Silver Surfer to be placed in their brilliant hands!
>
> I always wanted a Silver Surfer ongoing and DnA should be put on that book! Who else agrees with me??
>
> Echo



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 on Windows Vista
Lightning Strike




It's called War of Kings:
http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4329.SDCC_~apos~08~colon~_War_of_Kings

BTW, if you dig DnA's writing on GotG and Nova, you should check out their run on Legion. It's SPECTACULAR! If you want to know more about it, inquire on the Legion board.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software