Marvel Universe >> View Thread

Author
Iron Man Unit 007

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,344


https://www.cbr.com/marvel-rom-spaceknight-dire-wraiths-hasbro-trademark-lawsuit/

However that article speculate why Marvel withdrew their attempt to challenge the rights claim of IDW but doesn't know why.

Well there is a commercial for the ROM toy where the narrator mentions that ROM's enemy is the DIRE WRAITHS. Also I think the old toy package mentions the Dire Wraiths also.

Marvel did design the Wraiths in terms of appearance and powers, but IDW has their own unique look for them and same or similar powers.

But I would guess that since the old commercial mentions the Wraiths by name that they are in some way linked to the ROM trademark, so if IDW has ROM then they should get the Wraiths as well.

The commercial that mentions the Wraiths is here:
https://flashbak.com/outer-space-toy-store-rom-space-knight-parker-bros-1979-57592/


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Windows 7
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,803


Well Hasbro is as protective of IP as Disney, so they're gonna protect it. Especially since they're trying to launch a live action movie. They need villains.



Posted with Google Chrome 93.0.4577.62 on Linux
Iron Man Unit 007

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,344


Yeah I keep hearing they want to do a movie-verse with their toy IP's, could be interesting as long as they don't rush into it like DC did with Justice League.

A ROM movie could be good, though I think I would also like to see a ROM anime series


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Windows 7
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,803


I'm not sure how well Rom mixes with Transformers, G.I. Joe, MASK, and all the board game stuff. But maybe they'll surprise us.



Posted with Google Chrome 93.0.4577.62 on Linux
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


I was enjoying the HasbroVerse comics.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 92.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,344


IDW has done pretty well with the Hasbro toys.

Honestly I was surprised when they blew the dust and cobwebs off of ROM and remade him for their universe.

The ROM toy was overall a bust, but the Marvel series seems to be fondly remembered. Yet Marvel let the trademark lapse, and then when they tried to have ROM make some cameos they got reminded of that and rather then pay the fee they have just worked around it.

Now I am not familiar with the current trademark prices, but it can't be that expensive for Marvel especially now with the MCU and all the money it brought in. Of course there is the concept of would it be money well spent. Marvel cannot reprint issues of other comics that ROM guest starred in, Avengers, X-men, Power man-IRonFist, Incredible Hulk. Any reprint collections either omit those issues or else edit ROM out which basically wipes out most of the issue.

Perhaps IDW should see about buying the rights to the Marvel ROM story line and use it to make their movie for ROM? Perhaps a collaboration deal so that Marvel gets some of the money.

As to the IDW ROM Comic, well it was a new take on the character. He wasn't pining to be human again and seemed to have long since accepted that he was stuck as a spaceknight. His appearance and powers and weapons were updated for the new era and new abilities were given to him. Also he was somewhat ruthless at first and it was revealed that ROM and his fellow spaceknights would resort to blowing up any world they couldn't cleanse of the Wraiths. ROM being on Earth started to mellow him a bit and restore some feeling.

However the art at times was a bit shaky, and the series only went about 14 issues before cancellation and his story was finished in crossovers with the Micronauts then appeared in the final Transformers issues before that series ended/rebooted.

They did a 3 issue Wraiths mini series just recently.

But it seems overall that the return of ROM to comics was just a brief nostalgic flash in the pan.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Windows 7
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,803



    Quote:
    IDW has done pretty well with the Hasbro toys.



    Quote:
    Honestly I was surprised when they blew the dust and cobwebs off of ROM and remade him for their universe.

I'm sure the fondness for the Marvel series proved to Hasbro that there was enough story and a fanbase to make something out of it. They need IPs since they are trying to launch their movie universe. They already have Transformers and G.I. Joe and they did Battleship for better or worse. They mentioned a Clue reboot and they have been talking about a Monopoly movie forever. Think there's also a new D&D movie and Magic: The Gathering in the pipeline.


    Quote:
    The ROM toy was overall a bust, but the Marvel series seems to be fondly remembered. Yet Marvel let the trademark lapse, and then when they tried to have ROM make some cameos they got reminded of that and rather then pay the fee they have just worked around it.

When the license lapsed either Hasbro didn't want to lease it to them again or Marvel didn't want to pay. Or another point is that Marvel doesn't want to spend time and money promoting characters that they won't own the toy and video game rights to.


    Quote:
    Now I am not familiar with the current trademark prices, but it can't be that expensive for Marvel especially now with the MCU and all the money it brought in. Of course there is the concept of would it be money well spent. Marvel cannot reprint issues of other comics that ROM guest starred in, Avengers, X-men, Power man-IRonFist, Incredible Hulk. Any reprint collections either omit those issues or else edit ROM out which basically wipes out most of the issue.

It would be nice if they could work out a deal where Marvel can reprint those crossover issues whenever they want and one of them can reprint the ROM series and both can make money on it.


    Quote:
    Perhaps IDW should see about buying the rights to the Marvel ROM story line and use it to make their movie for ROM? Perhaps a collaboration deal so that Marvel gets some of the money.

That might work too.


    Quote:
    As to the IDW ROM Comic, well it was a new take on the character. He wasn't pining to be human again and seemed to have long since accepted that he was stuck as a spaceknight. His appearance and powers and weapons were updated for the new era and new abilities were given to him. Also he was somewhat ruthless at first and it was revealed that ROM and his fellow spaceknights would resort to blowing up any world they couldn't cleanse of the Wraiths. ROM being on Earth started to mellow him a bit and restore some feeling.



    Quote:
    However the art at times was a bit shaky, and the series only went about 14 issues before cancellation and his story was finished in crossovers with the Micronauts then appeared in the final Transformers issues before that series ended/rebooted.

When did Rom cross over with Transformers? I have the whole G1 and G2 series and I don't remember that.


    Quote:
    They did a 3 issue Wraiths mini series just recently.



    Quote:
    But it seems overall that the return of ROM to comics was just a brief nostalgic flash in the pan.

So Hasbro owns ROM and they own Dire Wraiths. Do they own the name "Spaceknight" or is that Marvel's?



Posted with Google Chrome 93.0.4577.63 on MacOS X
Ed Love


Location: North Carolina
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Interesting. I guess it depends on how the contracts were written, of how much created in the comics belongs to Hasbro vs. Marvel. However, trademarks have to be used. There was more than ten years between Marvel's Rom series and IDW's, so as a trademark, it was up for grabs, anyone could have used the name "Dire Wraiths" for their own villains as long as they weren't similar to the Rom villains in execution. The question then becomes, was there enough in packaging and the commercial for Hasbro to lay claim to the copyrights of the actual story that Marvel developed? You cannot copyright just a name. That Marvel has referenced other things that were developed for the Hasbro titles from outside the actual toys (Bug, Marionette of Micronauts, the human version of Rom and the other Galadorian space knights), I would think they would have a pretty strong case if they wanted to pursue it.

But, there's not much they could do with the Dire Wraiths that they couldn't already do with the Space Phantoms and Skrulls anyway. So, I could see why they would just let it go.




Visit my Golden-Age Encyclopedias and web pages: http://www.herogoggles.com
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 92.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,344


The ROM/Transformers/Micronauts crossovers were all IDW, not Marvel.

The term spaceknight has been used in anime, Marvel recently did a story in Cable that is restoring Galador and the spaceknights, and IDW still calls ROM a Spaceknight of the Solstar Order

I'm guessing its a term in public domain.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 89.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software