Amazing Spider-Man Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Stu The Disgruntled Greek

Moderator

Member Since: Tue Nov 05, 1996
Posts: 1,424


Apparently Emma Stone (Easy A, SuperBad, ZombieLand, Ghost of Girlfriends Past) is up for the role.

The only 2 worries I have is that she does seem to do some of her lines with some sarcastic tone and if they were to go the model route with the character it just wouldn't fit with her girl next door look.

Not going to comment on her hair not being red...

She would be a great addition to the film.

The Disgruntled Greek



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
Edward Whelan




I think that is a great cast. I also think Ive seen her with red hair in a movie (but I cant remember which).


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Mr. Knees




Hmm. As a loooooong time reader, I don't see MJ as a "girl next door" type - if you go back and read how Stan Lee wrote her, she had a whip smart sarcastic tongue on her. In those early comics, she was always poking fun - giving everyone around her some good natured sarcasm. She was an fun party girl who was not ready to be tied down by anybody. She also seemed way out of Peters league, who was more suited for a quiet girl like Gwen.

Stan found MJ so much fun to write because she was always so lively - he claimed Gwen was just a boring character to write for.

They added a lot of dimensions into MJ's character since then, alot of this occured in the 80s with DeFalco adding her "broken home" background. Then Gerry Conway wrote that MJ lived next door to Peter and knew his identity from the start, so that they would seem more like soulmates.

But if we're talking MJ as Stan wrote her, a wisecracking red head party girl is the perfect fit.

And Emma Stone could play that part to a tee. She's young, adorable and whip smart.

Mr Knees


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Stu The Disgruntled Greek

Moderator

Member Since: Tue Nov 05, 1996
Posts: 1,424


Oh, I think Emma Stones look is Girl Next Door compared to the depection I have seen of MJ with the Model look in Amazing. If we went with Ultimate Spider-Man as the basis... than she fits in perfectly with Lafuentes recent revision.

With the Sarcastic tongue... I think its just based on the way Emma Stone delivers the lines. It is more deadpan sarcasm and she does alot of eye movement (rolling the eyes) sometimes when doing even more sarcastic lines. I caught that when she was on Jimmy Fallon promoting "Easy A" recently.

I still think she would be a good addition.

The Disgruntled Greek


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
Menshevik


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,099



    Quote:
    Hmm. As a loooooong time reader, I don't see MJ as a "girl next door" type - if you go back and read how Stan Lee wrote her, she had a whip smart sarcastic tongue on her. In those early comics, she was always poking fun - giving everyone around her some good natured sarcasm. She was an fun party girl who was not ready to be tied down by anybody. She also seemed way out of Peters league, who was more suited for a quiet girl like Gwen.


A smart sarcastic tongue - like Spider-Man himself and quite a few other characters, including at times Gwen Stacy (who as time wore on became more and more like MJ in looks and way of speaking).

Another way in which MJ resembled from the start Peter was that she got along really way with her aunt. I also think it is safe to say that of Peter's friends of his generation, she got along best with Aunt May, and obviously always was May's favourite prospective daughter/niece-in-law. (Since she visited Anna Watson a bit, and Anna lived next door to the Parkers, MJ also wins the "girl next door" appelation on a technicality ;\-\) )

Also, you could say that Gwen, born with a silver spoon in her mouth, was out of Peter's league. Her high-school boyfriend was the heir of a millionaire, Peter's high-school girlfriend was a secretary. So MJ with Harry and Peter with Gwen were both involved with people "above their station". Also Mary Jane was at least once shown working for money (as a go-go dancer), something surprisingly few of Peter's college friends had to do (didn't Flash have a sports scholarship?).


    Quote:
    Stan found MJ so much fun to write because she was always so lively - he claimed Gwen was just a boring character to write for.



    Quote:
    They added a lot of dimensions into MJ's character since then, alot of this occured in the 80s with DeFalco adding her "broken home" background. Then Gerry Conway wrote that MJ lived next door to Peter and knew his identity from the start, so that they would seem more like soulmates.


At that point they already seemed like soulmates (both hiding their inner hurt beneath a cheerful mask, for instance), adding that detail was just the icing on the cake. Conway had already added quite a bit of dimension to MJ during his 1970s run on ASM.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20 on Windows 98
mjyoung





    Quote:
    Apparently Emma Stone (Easy A, SuperBad, ZombieLand, Ghost of Girlfriends Past) is up for the role.



    Quote:
    The only 2 worries I have is that she does seem to do some of her lines with some sarcastic tone and if they were to go the model route with the character it just wouldn't fit with her girl next door look.


They aren't going to go the model route, it's a high school movie. I imagine the portrayal will be similar to the Ultimate version of the character. Then she would be ideally cast since that is what she is most famous for (girl next door).


    Quote:
    Not going to comment on her hair not being red...


Every role I've seen her in, she has had redish hair.


    Quote:
    She would be a great addition to the film.


I agree with this. Perfect casting for me.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.10 on Windows XP
Stu The Disgruntled Greek

Moderator

Member Since: Tue Nov 05, 1996
Posts: 1,424


I always see brown hair on her for some reason.

Of course I am spoiled in that my sister has always had bright red hair.

The Disgruntled Greek


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
Mr. Knees





    Quote:

      Quote:
      Hmm. As a loooooong time reader, I don't see MJ as a "girl next door" type - if you go back and read how Stan Lee wrote her, she had a whip smart sarcastic tongue on her. In those early comics, she was always poking fun - giving everyone around her some good natured sarcasm. She was an fun party girl who was not ready to be tied down by anybody. She also seemed way out of Peters league, who was more suited for a quiet girl like Gwen.



    Quote:
    A smart sarcastic tongue - like Spider-Man himself and quite a few other characters, including at times Gwen Stacy (who as time wore on became more and more like MJ in looks and way of speaking).


It could be said that MJ had a very similar wise-cracking nature to the personality that Peter showed when he was masked as Spider-man. And this personality of MJs was also a mask.

Gwen's shyness seemed to match Peter's personality out of costume, but really thats just one facet of Peter. And people really do tend to forget that Gwen was the daughter of a police chief - she was shown in the Lee issues as coming from priviledge and definitely didnt match Peter's background in this respect.



    Quote:
    At that point they already seemed like soulmates (both hiding their inner hurt beneath a cheerful mask, for instance), adding that detail was just the icing on the cake. Conway had already added quite a bit of dimension to MJ during his 1970s run on ASM.


Oh, theres no doubt that Conway was really the first writer to say "who is she really?" Her thought balloons during his tenure gave more of her inner personality than Lee had during his entire run.

Mr Knees



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
SpiderJamb






Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows Vista
jwd






ninja.monkeylord.org (12.345.67.89)
using Interwebs Stealth Engine 2.0 (1.07 points)
OZ





Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 4.0 on Windows XP
Stu The Disgruntled Greek

Moderator

Member Since: Tue Nov 05, 1996
Posts: 1,424



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
stillanerd





Posted with Google Chrome 6.0.472.63 on Windows Vista
jwd






ninja.monkeylord.org (12.345.67.89)
using Interwebs Stealth Engine 2.0 (1 points)

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software