The Superman Family Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881



Asking only the hardest of hardcore Superman fans who's their favorite writers, so I can look into TPB's. Thanks.





He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0
liheibao


Member Since: Thu May 07, 2009
Posts: 3,528


Jeph Loeb, Grant Morrison, Elliot S! Maggin, Geoff Johns, and, of course, Jerry Siegel.




R. I. P. Kato: A good friend to one who has so few
Posted with Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on Windows 10
steve


Member Since: Tue Jan 06, 2015


The first year or so of the strip, and anything from the 50's-60's


Posted with Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on Windows 10
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881









He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Windows 10
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881









He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Windows 10
RAB


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 1,260


I apologize for not having issue numbers, as I'm doing this off the top of my head.

For me, I remember really enjoying most of Cary Bates Superman work (with a lot of love stemming also from his New Adventures of Superboy book), discovered Marty Pasko's Superman run due to this board and it's fantastic.

I'd also recommend Marv Wolfman's runs on Action Comics Pre-Crisis, as well as his Post Crisis work as well. Despite some stumbles, I still have high regards for John Byrne's run.

Dan Jurgens has had multiple runs which I've enjoyed, love Karl Kesel's work, can't go wrong with Alan Moore's three stories (Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For The Man Who Has Everything, The Jungle Line)... and of course, I personally find a lot of fun in the original Siegel/Shuster stories in Action Comics as well.

That's what comes off the top of my head initially as ones I've really enjoyed.




Ryan Brandt
---
Writer of Ideas
Creator of Stuff

Check out out my Deviantart page!
Posted with Apple Safari 13.1.2 on MacOS X
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881




    Quote:
    I apologize for not having issue numbers, as I'm doing this off the top of my head.


No problem buddy, a quick google search and there I'll have it.


    Quote:
    For me, I remember really enjoying most of Cary Bates Superman work (with a lot of love stemming also from his New Adventures of Superboy book), discovered Marty Pasko's Superman run due to this board and it's fantastic.



    Quote:
    I'd also recommend Marv Wolfman's runs on Action Comics Pre-Crisis, as well as his Post Crisis work as well. Despite some stumbles, I still have high regards for John Byrne's run.



    Quote:
    Dan Jurgens has had multiple runs which I've enjoyed, love Karl Kesel's work, can't go wrong with Alan Moore's three stories (Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For The Man Who Has Everything, The Jungle Line)... and of course, I personally find a lot of fun in the original Siegel/Shuster stories in Action Comics as well.



    Quote:
    That's what comes off the top of my head initially as ones I've really enjoyed.


Thanks a mil my friend, and good luck on selling any and all your movie scripts. I hope you strike it BIG!!!





He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on MacOS X
Knight


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



Basically, much of the Superman runs from the early to mid 90's were the best. Dan Jurgens, Karl Kessel (SP?), Roger Stern, Louise Simonson, etc, were some of the best runs I've ever read.

Jeph Loeb was either hit or miss. He was nothing spectacular, IMO, but you could check him out if you want to see for yourself.

John Bryne's early work on Superman is good, but thought balloons aren't for everyone (personally, I'll never understand what the big deal is about that).







It's interesting that a hero/villain performs one amazing feat, or use a power they haven't used for 20+ years, and that automatically propels them to a high status despite scans and evidence to the contrary. I don't know what is worse, selective feat picking that has only been done once or twice 20, or more, years ago or ignoring evidence from scans or the lack thereof. We need to stop putting our favorite heroes/villains on pedestals and start putting them where they really belong. But it's evident that people never will because they would rather accuse others of cherry picking feats, when they don't, and being 'morally superior' when they aren't. I guess being honest and as fair as possible only opens one up to being the target of childish accusations and fault finding by those who insist on acting petty and childish. What happened to a good debate between two civil, mature, adults?
Posted with Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on Windows 7
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,730


That's a tough question.

As a kid I had a handful of early 80s issues that I enjoyed. The one I thumbed through the most was a digest called Superman Vs Kryptonite, which featured many stories from classic pre-crisis days. It kind of touched on a lot of staples like there was a Bottle City of Kandor story, a Legion of Super-Heroes story, a Bizzaro World story, the Phantom Zone, etc. Krypto and Supergirl appear.

I really got into comic collecting during the Death of Superman era. I probably have more nostalgia for the comic shop days and the era of comics than for the actual stories, but I generally liked what Roger Stern and Dan Jurgens and the rest were doing.

When the Showcase Presents collections started coming out, I have to say I got a lot more enjoyment out of those Superman stories from the Silver Age than what was coming out of the modern books.



Posted with Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on Linux
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881




    Quote:

    Basically, much of the Superman runs from the early to mid 90's were the best. Dan Jurgens, Karl Kessel (SP?), Roger Stern, Louise Simonson, etc, were some of the best runs I've ever read.



    Quote:
    Jeph Loeb was either hit or miss. He was nothing spectacular, IMO, but you could check him out if you want to see for yourself.



    Quote:
    John Bryne's early work on Superman is good, but thought balloons aren't for everyone (personally, I'll never understand what the big deal is about that).



    Quote:









He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Linux
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881




    Quote:
    That's a tough question.



    Quote:
    As a kid I had a handful of early 80s issues that I enjoyed. The one I thumbed through the most was a digest called Superman Vs Kryptonite, which featured many stories from classic pre-crisis days. It kind of touched on a lot of staples like there was a Bottle City of Kandor story, a Legion of Super-Heroes story, a Bizzaro World story, the Phantom Zone, etc. Krypto and Supergirl appear.



    Quote:
    I really got into comic collecting during the Death of Superman era. I probably have more nostalgia for the comic shop days and the era of comics than for the actual stories, but I generally liked what Roger Stern and Dan Jurgens and the rest were doing.



    Quote:
    When the Showcase Presents collections started coming out, I have to say I got a lot more enjoyment out of those Superman stories from the Silver Age than what was coming out of the modern books.


Exactly what I was looking for, what captivated you as a child or drew you to Superman. Thanks my Pal! \:\-\)





He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Linux
fuggernaut


Member Since: Sat Oct 23, 2021




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Windows 10
RAB


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 1,260



    Quote:
    Thanks a mil my friend, and good luck on selling any and all your movie scripts. I hope you strike it BIG!!!


Thanks, it's very much appreciated!

And I second others recommendation for Roger Stern's Post-Crisis run. Can't believe I left him off my list!

Also, should mention Louise Simonson, who wrote the majority of the Man of Steel book in the 90s... she wrote a lot of stories I loved. So, I'm pissed at myself for not listing her either \(shocked\)




Ryan Brandt
---
Writer of Ideas
Creator of Stuff

Check out out my Deviantart page!
Posted with Apple Safari 13.1.2 on MacOS X
Braugi


Member Since: Fri Jul 14, 2017


And the DCU was a pretty internally consistent place


Posted with Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on Linux
Braugi


Member Since: Fri Jul 14, 2017


The Kessel Hawk and Dove run was one of the best comics runs of all time IMO


Posted with Google Chrome 96.0.4664.45 on Linux
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881









He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Linux
Gamma Ra


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,881









He's... A Misunderstood MONSTER! An INCREDIBLE force! He's ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him! And because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor his being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Burst ...The WORLD BREAKER!!! "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk would have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!"- Tales To Astonish #063 "There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!"- Tales To Astonish #073 "That something -- anything -- could grab hold of an energy field should be IMPOSSIBLE! But the Hulk grabs hold just the same!"- The Incredible Hulk #242 Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash'emall - Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 94.0 on Linux

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software