The Thor Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Oliva


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,955


I recall that jack Kirby used to be a master when drawing these phenomenal Asgardian costumes, and I wonder sometimes what ever happened to that? There isn't much interest from artist to pencil these lavish costumes nowadays:
http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Odin_Omnipotencia_2.jpg
http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Odin_Hela_4.jpg

I know that Japanese comics has capitalize on this for a very long time:
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4390/hagennnhj6.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9426/tma148.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4371/normal07pw6.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5076/ap20090107041415493jpgdnm5.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6409/photo01oq7.jpg
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5356/hj0801.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5686/13437799ja3.jpg

Conclusion: Thor (being an Asgardian in particular) do not need to be wearing the same costumes over and over all the time- even though that's what Identifies him... Every now and then it'll be good to see Thor with a new never before seen costumes...


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
seeker


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,976


in cases like Thor and the Warriors Three it makes it easier to identify them. I recall watching a short introduction to anime years ago and it stated the reason some anime characters in the past (and present to a degree) had outrageous hairdos or costumes was to make it easier to tell them apart.

As for Asgard, I think as writers got more and more away from the "sci-fi, super-advanced Asgard" you got simpler designs. They are meant to look more Vikingish. The less eccentric costumes I suppose are to let the Asgardians be taken more seriously. I seem to recall some issues where Odin would go through two or three outfits in one issue.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.2 on Windows XP
Oliva


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,955



    Quote:
    in cases like Thor and the Warriors Three it makes it easier to identify them. I recall watching a short introduction to anime years ago and it stated the reason some anime characters in the past (and present to a degree) had outrageous hairdos or costumes was to make it easier to tell them apart.


I uderstand that logic, but these characters have been around for literally decades now...


    Quote:
    As for Asgard, I think as writers got more and more away from the "sci-fi, super-advanced Asgard" you got simpler designs. They are meant to look more Vikingish. The less eccentric costumes I suppose are to let the Asgardians be taken more seriously. I seem to recall some issues where Odin would go through two or three outfits in one issue.


Again, your point is a valid one. However, if Marvel writers do an excellent job with these characters, most readers would have no recourse but to take them seriously. You can always mix the Viking style with new designs, and Jack Kirby was the TRUE master at this... Thor should don his regular Super-Hero costumes (especially the classic one) most of the time, but not all of the time. It's good for artist to come out with a new design every now and then. By the way, I really like Walter Simonson Armor costume as well as Jurgen and Bennetts. I think that he should wear them every now and them.....

http://www.immortalthor.net/thorcostumes.html

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1043/0545486244.jpg



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Carlos


Location: Premia de Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    I recall that jack Kirby used to be a master when drawing these phenomenal Asgardian costumes, and I wonder sometimes what ever happened to that? There isn't much interest from artist to pencil these lavish costumes nowadays:



    Quote:
    http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Odin_Omnipotencia_2.jpg



    Quote:
    http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Odin_Hela_4.jpg



    Quote:
    I know that Japanese comics has capitalize on this for a very long time:



    Quote:
    http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4390/hagennnhj6.jpg



    Quote:
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9426/tma148.jpg



    Quote:
    http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4371/normal07pw6.jpg



    Quote:
    http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5076/ap20090107041415493jpgdnm5.jpg



    Quote:
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6409/photo01oq7.jpg



    Quote:
    http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5356/hj0801.jpg



    Quote:
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5686/13437799ja3.jpg



    Quote:
    Conclusion: Thor (being an Asgardian in particular) do not need to be wearing the same costumes over and over all the time- even though that's what Identifies him... Every now and then it'll be good to see Thor with a new never before seen costumes...


The truth is that I think you're right and about talking of Asgardian costumes, look at the Enchantress, since her first appearance until now, has always been the same (with some variations, but always the same, colour, tiara, stockings) and that's what has done always, easy to identify, the only time she wore something different was at the Warren Ellis run and Thor: Son of Asgard.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.2 on Windows 7
seeker


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,976


I never had a problem taking the Thor character seriously. The only times I had issues was with some of the more eccentric head pieces. Most of the time I have had no problem. I would expect gods to have some pomp and circumstance to them.

As for the armor, I would not want it to be normal, but I would not mind seeing it again. One thinking I have is it is more of a "battle" costume meant for heavier fighting. Just like some heroes have a more battle oriental or specialized costumes. Iron Man has has standard armor and then other ones for space, heavy fighting, etc. T'challa has a couple as well. I could see Thor's hauberk (main) costume for day-to-day wear. Being a warrior he wears light armor all the time, but with his own durability he usually does not need more. I could see when he knows he is entering a major battle such as against Galactus or a vast army that he wears a heavier armor.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.2 on Windows XP
Oliva


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,955



    Quote:
    I never had a problem taking the Thor character seriously. The only times I had issues was with some of the more eccentric head pieces. Most of the time I have had no problem. I would expect gods to have some pomp and circumstance to them.



    Quote:
    As for the armor, I would not want it to be normal, but I would not mind seeing it again. One thinking I have is it is more of a "battle" costume meant for heavier fighting. Just like some heroes have a more battle oriental or specialized costumes. Iron Man has has standard armor and then other ones for space, heavy fighting, etc. T'challa has a couple as well. I could see Thor's hauberk (main) costume for day-to-day wear. Being a warrior he wears light armor all the time, but with his own durability he usually does not need more. I could see when he knows he is entering a major battle such as against Galactus or a vast army that he wears a heavier armor.


You're right, in certain occasions as the one you mentioned with Galactus he should don a heavy armor. The same goes with festive occasions in Asgard. However, I would like to see some Marvel artists or not Marvel Artists like Adey and Re-Man come up with a new Heavy Duty costume for Thor; something that would say symbolically to everyone, "Hey, that dude has to be the ruler of a Kingdom of gods." However, as I noted earlier his Classic costume must be his No.1 costume.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Oliva


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,955



    Quote:

      Quote:
      I recall that jack Kirby used to be a master when drawing these phenomenal Asgardian costumes, and I wonder sometimes what ever happened to that? There isn't much interest from artist to pencil these lavish costumes nowadays:

      Quote:

        Quote:
        http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Odin_Omnipotencia_2.jpg

        Quote:

          Quote:
          http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Odin_Hela_4.jpg

          Quote:

            Quote:
            I know that Japanese comics has capitalize on this for a very long time:

            Quote:

              Quote:
              http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4390/hagennnhj6.jpg

              Quote:

                Quote:
                http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9426/tma148.jpg

                Quote:

                  Quote:
                  http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4371/normal07pw6.jpg

                  Quote:

                    Quote:
                    http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5076/ap20090107041415493jpgdnm5.jpg

                    Quote:

                      Quote:
                      http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6409/photo01oq7.jpg

                      Quote:

                        Quote:
                        http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5356/hj0801.jpg

                        Quote:

                          Quote:
                          http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5686/13437799ja3.jpg

                          Quote:

                            Quote:
                            Conclusion: Thor (being an Asgardian in particular) do not need to be wearing the same costumes over and over all the time- even though that's what Identifies him... Every now and then it'll be good to see Thor with a new never before seen costumes...



    Quote:
    The truth is that I think you're right and about talking of Asgardian costumes, look at the Enchantress, since her first appearance until now, has always been the same (with some variations, but always the same, colour, tiara, stockings) and that's what has done always, easy to identify, the only time she wore something different was at the Warren Ellis run and Thor: Son of Asgard.



Man, the Enchantress is too hot and pretty to be wearing the same old costume after so many decades. I think that Thor is the right person to take her out to midgard for some serious Mall shopping... All kidding aside, it's a shame that she hasn't worn any nice looking costumes in 40+ years....




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Carlos


Location: Premia de Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    Man, the Enchantress is too hot and pretty to be wearing the same old costume after so many decades. I think that Thor is the right person to take her out to midgard for some serious Mall shopping... All kidding aside, it's a shame that she hasn't worn any nice looking costumes in 40+ years....


That depends, if you look from her first appearance to the present day, you'll see that some changes were fine, but basically always been the same costume.

Enchantress´s Costume Evolution

First Appearance by Jack Kirby
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/663674-azxa.jpg

On The first days of The Avengers
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/1027590-enchantress13.jpg

Walt Simonson´s run
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5599/134026-148420-enchantress.gif

Arthur Adams, New Mutants Asgardian story
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/29735/689156-magik11.jpg

Warren Ellis´s run By Deodato
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/1027580-enchantress3.jpg

Jurgens´s run
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36894/799490-enchantress2.gif

With her son Magni on the Reigning
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/606703-thorson.jpg

Thor: Son of Asgard
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7884/663539-enchantress_006.jpg

Black Widow & The Marvel Girls 1
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/1167426-enchantress8.jpg

Reign of Blood
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/663698-zaq.jpg

Her last appearance until now on the Marvel Continuity
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7884/651682-scan0022.jpg



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.2 on Windows 7
Oliva


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,955


  As I said, it's time for a change, and we need an artist who would take some extra quality time to do just that...
 

    Quote:

      Quote:
      Man, the Enchantress is too hot and pretty to be wearing the same old costume after so many decades. I think that Thor is the right person to take her out to midgard for some serious Mall shopping... All kidding aside, it's a shame that she hasn't worn any nice looking costumes in 40+ years....



    Quote:
    That depends, if you look from her first appearance to the present day, you'll see that some changes were fine, but basically always been the same costume.



    Quote:
    Enchantress´s Costume Evolution



    Quote:
    First Appearance by Jack Kirby



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/663674-azxa.jpg



    Quote:
    On The first days of The Avengers



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/1027590-enchantress13.jpg



    Quote:
    Walt Simonson´s run



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5599/134026-148420-enchantress.gif



    Quote:
    Arthur Adams, New Mutants Asgardian story



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/29735/689156-magik11.jpg



    Quote:
    Warren Ellis´s run By Deodato



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/1027580-enchantress3.jpg



    Quote:
    Jurgens´s run



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36894/799490-enchantress2.gif



    Quote:
    With her son Magni on the Reigning



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/606703-thorson.jpg



    Quote:
    Thor: Son of Asgard



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7884/663539-enchantress_006.jpg



    Quote:
    Black Widow & The Marvel Girls 1



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/1167426-enchantress8.jpg



    Quote:
    Reign of Blood



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30767/663698-zaq.jpg



    Quote:
    Her last appearance until now on the Marvel Continuity



    Quote:
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7884/651682-scan0022.jpg





Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Carlos


Location: Premia de Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
      As I said, it's time for a change, and we need an artist who would take some extra quality time to do just that...


and How do you expect that could change? I really like her costume, it is what most fully identifies and makes her recognizable, maybe it is true that should exist much more variety but look at characters like Sif and the Valkyrie, the Valkyrie, practically never changed her outfit, Sif has had some more variety, like Loki, Odin and even in her few appearances, Lorelei.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software