X-Universe >> View Thread

Author
BrennanZ


Member Since: Sun Mar 01, 2020


Has it been stated why Kwannon's hair is black and Betsy's is purple when it's long been established that Kwannon's hair is naturally purple and Betsy has always dyed hers? Thanks in advance!


Posted with Google Chrome 94.0.4606.71 on Linux
UName


Member Since: Tue Mar 10, 2015
Posts: 1,200




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 92.0 on Windows 10
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Uh uh... and originally, Rogue bleached the stripe(s) in her hair. She even said so when she joined X-Men, changing from white temples to the stripe.

But at some point we even got flashbacks of her as a kid with stripe.

As for Betsy, my fanon explanation is that their DNA changed because the two did not simply switch bodies. They merged bodies on a genetic level, but not completely. This is even stated in the Kwannon story back in the 90s.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 93.0 on Windows 10
Menshevik


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,073



    Quote:
    Uh uh... and originally, Rogue bleached the stripe(s) in her hair. She even said so when she joined X-Men, changing from white temples to the stripe.



    Quote:
    But at some point we even got flashbacks of her as a kid with stripe.


I don't remember her ever outright stating that she bleached the white stripe(s) or whether the one stripe or two thing was to be seen as her combing the white in different ways. In any case, things were complicated by two artists being involved in the change: Paul Smith, then the regular artist, designed the new, younger look with one stripe, and introduced it in UXM #170 (in the panel showing her taking a bus out of Washington). However, apparently due to Smith's scheduling problems, the subsequent issue (#171), where Rogue arrives at the X-Mansion and joins the team, was drawn by Walt Simonson, who apparently was not informed of the change. In any case, he drew her with the two stripes Rogue had been shown with before UXM #170. In the issue after that (UXM #172), Paul Smith returned and drew her with one stripe again, without this being remarked up on in the dialogue.

The first story showing Rogue as a young girl was the backup feature in Classic X-Men #44, by Ann Nocenti and Kieron Dwyer. It showed young Rogue with one stripe.


    Quote:
    As for Betsy, my fanon explanation is that their DNA changed because the two did not simply switch bodies. They merged bodies on a genetic level, but not completely. This is even stated in the Kwannon story back in the 90s.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 93.0 on Windows 10
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


It was actually a letters column that said that about Rogue's hair, so I guess not "official."

And while we're at it, Emma is established as a bleach blonde with natural brown hair in recent books, but she was even able to keep the blonde during her comas (yeah plural). And her "clones" or whatever they are, Cuckoos, are oddly blondes.




City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 93.0 on Windows 10
Menshevik


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,073



    Quote:
    It was actually a letters column that said that about Rogue's hair, so I guess not "official."


Yes, you have to watch out, because it's usually the editor or their assistant who answers the letters, not the writer.


    Quote:
    And while we're at it, Emma is established as a bleach blonde with natural brown hair in recent books, but she was even able to keep the blonde during her comas (yeah plural). And her "clones" or whatever they are, Cuckoos, are oddly blondes.


This sounds like one of those "wouldn't it be funny if..." ideas that went too far.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 93.0 on Windows 10

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software