I posted this at Avengers Forever, and created a great thread. I thought some of you might get a kick out of it also.
I am convinced more than ever before that Tony Stark will become Kang.
It all started back at the end of Volume 1, during the Time Slip/Crossing arc. In that arc it was revealed that Stark was the villian, being influenced by Kang. It was further revealed that Kand had been influencing Stark from the very founding of the Avengers. Then he was killed and replaced by a teen age Stark pulled from time before Kang had an opportunity to corrupt him. THEN during the Onslaught/Heroes Reborn arc, Franklin Richards "reset" the Marvel U to a time just before Time Slip. SO, that means Stark is still being influenced by Kang.
BUT, how could Kang push his buttons and mentally control him unless he knew exactly how to do it. How to bypass security measures, armor systems, etc. And who better to know that information than the man himself - Tony Stark. And Kang, later to become Immortus looks like Tony Stark's twin!
It is true that Iron Lad was a young kang, and not Tony, but gosh he looked alot like the young Tony Stark from Time Slip! If a young Tony could be pulled from time to become a new Iron Man, then surely a young Tony could be pulled from time to be groomed to be Kang. Apparently, this young Kang was actually being trained to become Kang by Kang... Does your head hurt yet?
NOW, it seems that Stark founded the Illuminati as a source of secret power, and The Civil War was all a ploy to implement his Initiative. AND he is now the director of SHEILD. Without question, Stark is now the most powerful person in the Marvel U. And you expect his power grab to be over any time soon?
Think about this for a moment - Kang has conquered every world and every timeline he has ever desired, except the present Marvel U. Why? Why has he held back from decimating this timeline and becomeing supreme ruler? Could it be his feelings for friends and family? Could his attacks on this timeline be efforts to hone his past self? He has been on the edge of total victory so many times, but holds back and allows his failure. And what would motivate a super conqueror to become Immortus later? That has never been explained to my satisfaction. It could be a former hero's remorse over what he had ultimately become...
Stark's transformation into Kang began a long time ago. I just can't wait to see how it all plays out.
1) We know quite a lot about Kang´s actual life - like that he was born in the 30th century, and details about his childhood and youth.
2) We know similar details about Tony Stark. That he is Howard Stark´s son was never in question.
3) As has been shown in Avengers Forever, Kang never manipulated Stark -it was always Immortus. And not since the beginning of his career, but only from Galactic Storm on.
4) Sure, they look alike - a little bit. So do Captain American and Hawkeye. But haircolor and -style isn´t everything.
5) Psychologically, they are very different. Stark hates warfare, and made it clear during his brief tenure as Secretary of Defense that if he could in any way make it possible, "Nobody need die in war ever again". His entire motivation during Civil War was AVOIDING all-out war at all costs. That could not be more different from Kang´s philosophy - he loves battle above all other things.
6) There has never been an intimate link between Stark and Kang, like there was between Kang and Doom.
I do not think Tony Stark and Kang, the Conqueror, are in any way, shape or form related, never mind the suggestiin that they are the same guy.