Avengers >> View Post
·
Post By
BlakGard

In Reply To
Jon Y.

Subj: Re: The message being sent with Civil War is...
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 at 03:12:02 am EDT
Reply Subj: The message being sent with Civil War is...
Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 at 08:31:08 pm EDT

Previous Post

> Being responsible isn't about obeying the law. It's about doing
> the right thing.

And who decides what the right thing is? If Dr Doom feels that running the world - by force if need be - for humanity's own good is the right thing to do, is he being responsible?

Red lights, income taxes, jury duty, putting your garbage out on the right days... in your everyday living, do you only obey the laws you agree with? Or do you also obey the ones you don't necessarily see a point to, but agree to follow because you trust they exist for a reason (usually, the good of society)

The message Marvel is trying to send via Civil War is that you shouldn't have to obey laws if you don't want to. And I don't know about anyone else, but that's a pretty dangerous message to be sending kids.

Thank God kids no longer read these things. \=\)

> > Being responsible isn't about obeying the law. It's about doing
> > the right thing.
>
> And who decides what the right thing is? If Dr Doom feels that running
> the world - by force if need be - for humanity's own good is the right
> thing to do, is he being responsible?

Such a scenario couldn't possibly exist, so no.

> Red lights, income taxes, jury duty, putting your garbage out on the
> right days... in your everyday living, do you only obey the laws you
> agree with? Or do you also obey the ones you don't necessarily see a
> point to, but agree to follow because you trust they exist for a
> reason (usually, the good of society)

Only the laws I agree with, which just so happens to be the vast majority of them. Red lights? I obey them, but not if the signal is broken or someone's life is on the line. Income taxes? Tentatively, but sure. Jury duty? Yes, unless, of course, I couldn't afford it, then I would flip them off. There are a great many crimes--both felonies and misdemeanors--that I'm proud as a heck to commit on a constant basis, and many more that I'd be glad to commit if the circumstances warrant it.

> The message Marvel is trying to send via Civil War is that you
> shouldn't have to obey laws if you don't want to. And I don't know
> about anyone else, but that's a pretty dangerous message to be
> sending kids.
>
> Thank God kids no longer read these things. \=\)

I disagree. And please, kids are already getting from TV, movies, video games, and classic literature everything they've ever gotten from comics, and probably more.
____________________



Posted with Netscape Navigator 8.1.3 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software