Avengers >> View Post
·
Post By
Omar Karindu

In Reply To
John Phamlore

Subj: Re: From Avengers: Initiative #9 (and MA #8), I accuse ... [SPOILERS]
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 05:13:23 pm EST (Viewed 1 times)
Reply Subj: Re: From Avengers: Initiative #9 (and MA #8), I accuse ... [SPOILERS]
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 01:07:57 am EST

Previous Post

>
> > The Gyrich Skrull isn't some superpowered omega class being--I believe him to simply have what Skrull agents had been shown in the past, some short of hypnosis. But once Gyrich was replaced, then that opened up the Skrulls to having access to other technology that had been confiscated on Earth, enabling them to bring more of them over.
>
> I agree that Gyrich (along with Slapstick) is a prime candidate for a Skrullification... but I disagree that he wouldn't be a powerful one... he'd have to be because he's interacting with a larger variety of hero than any other (alleged) Skrull, so he'd have to pass through all kinds of scrutiny that only omega-class Skrulls could.

My impression from Illuminati is that the more religious Skrulls may be afraid of super-powered Skrulls, because they kill all mutant Skrulls for fear of the powers they might wield such as the ones do on Earth. (Or for that matter the power of the mutant Inhuman Beyonder.) I think some sort of internal limitation has to hold on Skrull society, for there would be no credible way of having the heroes battle hundreds of omega-powered Skrulls short of inventing some preposterous raybeam such as the one I think the Zodiac once had that could kill off everyone with a particular astrological sign. \:\-\)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Skrulls deliberately sent the Black Bolt Skrull to his death battling the Illuminati because of fear of what he could do with all of those powers. The Super-Skrull did not work out all that well for the Skrulls, and he's not really a team player.

> >
> > > The Gyrich Skrull isn't some superpowered omega class being--I believe him to simply have what Skrull agents had been shown in the past, some short of hypnosis. But once Gyrich was replaced, then that opened up the Skrulls to having access to other technology that had been confiscated on Earth, enabling them to bring more of them over.
> >
> > I agree that Gyrich (along with Slapstick) is a prime candidate for a Skrullification... but I disagree that he wouldn't be a powerful one... he'd have to be because he's interacting with a larger variety of hero than any other (alleged) Skrull, so he'd have to pass through all kinds of scrutiny that only omega-class Skrulls could.
>
> My impression from Illuminati is that the more religious Skrulls may be afraid of super-powered Skrulls, because they kill all mutant Skrulls for fear of the powers they might wield such as the ones do on Earth. (Or for that matter the power of the mutant Inhuman Beyonder.)

The anti-mutant policy of the Skrulls was established prior to the mini by Alan Davis during the late 1990s X-Men crossover "The Twelve," not to be confused with the current miniseries written by JMS dealing with totally unrelated matters. Those stories established that the Skrulls had an ongoing project to grant artificial superpowers to their agents via cybernetic implantation and cosmic ray exposure for impersonation purposes, but were genetic purists and so hated mutants.

Remember, a long-established bit of the Skrull backstory at Marvel is that the shapeshifting Deviant variant deliberately exterminated all the other subspecies. The idea that they'd kill their mutants logically follows from that as much as from some newly-elaborated religiosity.

> I think some sort of internal limitation has to hold on Skrull society, for there would be no credible way of having the heroes battle hundreds of omega-powered Skrulls short of inventing some preposterous raybeam such as the one I think the Zodiac once had that could kill off everyone with a particular astrological sign. \:\-\)
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the Skrulls deliberately sent the Black Bolt Skrull to his death battling the Illuminati because of fear of what he could do with all of those powers. The Super-Skrull did not work out all that well for the Skrulls, and he's not really a team player.

Perhaps, but unless the Secret Invasion is to be accomplished entirely by affecting civilians and nonpowered heroes, the Skrulls will practically have to use superhuman agents to get the job done. If they hate super-powers so much, why even involve a Black Bolt impersonator? Why not target Tony Stark, who could be credibly impersonated by a non-powered Skrull using his armor. (The Skrulls are hardly technology-avoidant, after all.)

Ironically, it was established in an old Silver Surfer annual that the Super-Skrull is one of the more religious Skrulls; he worships the Skrull god of war, Sl'gur't.

- Omar Karindu

"A Renoir. I have three, myself. I had four, but ordered one burned...It displeased me." -- Doctor Doom

"It's not, 'Oh, they killed Sue Dibney and I always loved that character,' it's 'Oh, they broke a story engine that could have told a thousand stories in order to publish a single 'important' one.'" -- John Seavey


Posted with Apple Safari 3.0.4 on MacOS X
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software