Captain America >> View Post
·
Post By
spiderprince

In Reply To
DragynWulf

Subj: Re: I think you misunderstand
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 04:42:05 pm CST (Viewed 1 times)
Reply Subj: Re: I think you misunderstand
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:32:37 am CDT (Viewed 1 times)

Previous Post

> > >From his first appearance his power was shown to be able to copy moves that he has seen.
>
> > Yes and each of those moves are a form of combat. He used shield fighting technique and combined it with archery.
>
> What I think we're getting at is even though he can see the move and mimic the movement he can't actually duplicate the "effectiveness" (for lack of a better word) because he lacks Cap's powers. Ie. He can see Captain America perform a kick and he can do the kick perfectly but it won't be the same as Cap's because he's not as strong or fast as Cap is.
>

That has nothing with learning the style or form of combat.

> > >While formidible by watching tons of martial arts moves and boxing matches, it still isn't the same as having trained in a skill from the very beginning.
>
> > And has watched hours of Captain America alone on video tape to learn every move by Captain America. This doesn't include the others he has watched. So he doesn't just watch one move, he watches news footage, movies, has other people recording and also selling video tapes to him (Black Box in CABLE & DEADPOOL mentioned he was going to sell video to him).
>
> He watches the videos and can get the moves right away, what he doesn't get though is the conditioning of the fighters performing the moves.
>

Strength has nothing to do with mastering a form of combat. There are children that are black belts in karate for example. Not that that is a level of mastering, but it is a high level, which requires breaking numerous wooden boards.

> > >Photographic reflexes doesn't impart the focus, discipline or conditioning or the actual experience of going through the situation. Much like playing "Medal of Honor" doesn't make me have the same experience of actual veterans
>
> > He doesn't need to learn the discipline of it because once he sees it done, he knows it. He learned a discipline of a killing blow that took a guy 10 years (or more) to learn just by watching him do it once in DAREDEVIL.
>
> He does need the conditioning.

Actually he does not.

>The moves are meaningless if he's not fast enough to connect with it or strong enough to put down the opponent when he does connect.
>

He can move fast enough.

>A good example of this is in Daredevil with Echo. She watches tapes of fights (with Wolverine etc), but she still has to train intensely to properly perform the movement even though she knows it from seeing it one time.
>

Taskmaster trains people. He also does extensive training himself.

> > Photographic reflexes is something that everyone actually has in real life. It is seeing something done and then repeating it. You've watched someone throw a football when you were a kid, by watching that, you learned how to do it. You might not have learned how to do it as good or better, but you learned to do it only by watching. Taskmaster does the samething, but learns how to do it just as good or even better.
>
> I can watch Tom Brady throw a football, imitate his movements and everything perfectly and yet not throw it as far as he does. Why? Because I lack the strength and conditioning of a major league quarterback.
>

Taskmaster can duplcate the same fighting style of Thor and moves as Spider-Man, but only to his strength level. So while he can duplcate the same punch that Thor does, the strength behind that punch will be to only his strength limit and not that of Thor's.

> > Taskmaster can take everything he has learned and combine them to form his own fighting technique that no one else has learned. He isn't limited to one move or fighting style.
>
> What does limit him is that physically he's not at the level of Captain America, or even some of the other heroes out there. No matter how many times he sees the move he can't do it more powerfully than the guy with super-strength. (I agree his whole self preservation thing is used as a cop out at times by Marvel though)

Captain America is the only one that does not have powers that he can no duplicate. Dardevil, Iron Fist, and every other normal human he can duplicate 100% strength and more. Iron Fist's chi he couldn't do because it is a power, but he can still duplicate the punch/kick used when Iron Fist is using the chi.

Have a Nice Day!
-DragynWulf





> > What I think we're getting at is even though he can see the move and mimic the movement he can't actually duplicate the "effectiveness" (for lack of a better word) because he lacks Cap's powers. Ie. He can see Captain America perform a kick and he can do the kick perfectly but it won't be the same as Cap's because he's not as strong or fast as Cap is.

> That has nothing with learning the style or form of combat.

I never said that he can't learn the style/form. I simply said that he can't mimic the conditioning of the person he's mimicing.

> > He watches the videos and can get the moves right away, what he doesn't get though is the conditioning of the fighters performing the moves.

> Strength has nothing to do with mastering a form of combat. There are children that are black belts in karate for example. Not that that is a level of mastering, but it is a high level, which requires breaking numerous wooden boards.

This is my point. A child can achieve the same level of mastery of a martial art as a grown man but but the child most likely can't match up to a the grown man (if they have the same level of skill) because of the man's superior conditioning.

> > He does need the conditioning.

> Actually he does not.

He does. If he didn't then why would he need to work out so intensely as you say below?

> >The moves are meaningless if he's not fast enough to connect with it or strong enough to put down the opponent when he does connect.

> He can move fast enough.

He's not faster than Cap.

> >A good example of this is in Daredevil with Echo. She watches tapes of fights (with Wolverine etc), but she still has to train intensely to properly perform the movement even though she knows it from seeing it one time.

> Taskmaster trains people. He also does extensive training himself.

What does that have to do with anything exactly? And if he didn't need to condition his body (as you said above) then why would he have to train so extensively?

> > I can watch Tom Brady throw a football, imitate his movements and everything perfectly and yet not throw it as far as he does. Why? Because I lack the strength and conditioning of a major league quarterback.

> Taskmaster can duplcate the same fighting style of Thor and moves as Spider-Man, but only to his strength level. So while he can duplcate the same punch that Thor does, the strength behind that punch will be to only his strength limit and not that of Thor's.

Isn't this basically what I said above? Thats my point. Tasky can duplicate Cap's style all he wants but he can't duplicate Cap's strength (or other enhanced stats for that fact).

> > What does limit him is that physically he's not at the level of Captain America, or even some of the other heroes out there. No matter how many times he sees the move he can't do it more powerfully than the guy with super-strength. (I agree his whole self preservation thing is used as a cop out at times by Marvel though)

> Captain America is the only one that does not have powers that he can no duplicate. Dardevil, Iron Fist, and every other normal human he can duplicate 100% strength and more. Iron Fist's chi he couldn't do because it is a power, but he can still duplicate the punch/kick used when Iron Fist is using the chi.

I was careful not to name any other human other than Cap because realistically if Taskmaster trained hard enough he can reach the same level of physical conditioning as the other street level heroes out there (like DD, IF etc).

> Have a Nice Day!
> -DragynWulf


Thanks. You too.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software