You do know that Lightning is not as fast as light right? But regardless, I already knew Barry was at least as fast as light. He time travels, opens portals, etc. All of that takes lightspeed and not this "Mach 4 top speed" Team Flash is trying to have us believe. I mean, there's plenty of evidence for it. To name just one example: Barry would have to be literally faster than light to close that singularity in the season 2 opening episode because light cannot escape a black hole. If his top speed was anything less than light, there's no way he would have been able to save Central City from that singularity.
The electrical charge isn't, but the flash (no pun intended) from the lightning still travels at the speed of light, and Barry seems to get in front of it just before the light starts to illuminate his chest.
Barry didn't stop the singularity. Firestorm did. All Barry did was to stabilise it a little by running around it. You're right that light can't escape a black hole, but that light needs to have crossed the event horizon, to be inside the black hole where the curvature of spacetime is infinite. Barry was quite a distance outside the event horizon, and wouldn't have needed to go anywhere near the speed of light.
Quote:Sorry, but Barry's been this fast for a while now. The writers just have been very, very inconsistent with his speed. They say he's only Mach 4 (Season 3). But now Barry is faster now, since he's spent 6 months in the Speed Force. But then they have him do things that are way faster than Mach 4+. Such as saving Central City from a singularity when not even light can escape from that or throwing a lightning bolt and getting hit by it OR grabbing the shrapnel of a grenade but racing across town first before saving Joe's life, time traveling, etc.
Quote:The writers really don't know how to stick to their own rules about Barry's speed.
Completely agree with you. They've shown him able to generate enough momentum to carry him all the way up to the top of a skyscraper, yet unable to generate enough to make the leap across a gorge for example. These are pretty much the points I'm making in this thread, and in my reply to IMU 007 in the above post:
1) There's more going on with Barry's powers than just running fast.
2) The only constant in the show is inconsistency.
1. at the time there was no speed force, at least not in the TV series
2. Barry had an endless appetite as his accelerated metabolism needed more and more calories/glucose to burn. In the pilot movie Barry did have some slow down/blackout moments due to his glucose levels crashing for a bit.
This was touched upon briefly in the current series at the beginning as Barry was blacking out until they started to test him and RF/Wells said to check his glucose levels. Barry passed out again on the treadmill and it took about 40 I.V bags of glucose to restore him.
3. his speed and range his limited by his need for food and rest
4. he did time warp ONCE in an episode when he was at his full speed trying to outrun a missile that was gaining on him. the explosion of the missile and his speed blasted him 10 years in the future. After restoring his powers it took his speed plus a reactor explosion to blast him back into the past where he was able to return before his trip and adjust things