Marvel Universe >> View Post
·
Post By
Blue Beetle

In Reply To
SQUEAK

Subj: Re: I miss the days when it didn't take the Internet and a ton of comics to understand one comic
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 06:28:22 pm EDT (Viewed 80 times)
Reply Subj: Re: I miss the days when it didn't take the Internet and a ton of comics to understand one comic
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 01:43:16 pm EDT (Viewed 68 times)


> What I strongly object to is the crossovers which derail a current book. There was a time when Birds of Prey had something nine different crossover stories in 12 issues - as someone who doesn't read most of the DC books, I completely lost interest in the book.


I recently bought Nightwing and Robin in between two Grant Morrison crossover events. I jumped in when one was ending and am jumping out when one is starting. Grant Morrison isn't my cup of tea and DC won't manipulate me into drinking the cup Morrison brews. Not in this instance, at least. Final Crisis is a Morrison book and I find it hard to pass that one by, despite the fact that I don't expect to really enjoy it. The DCU Message Board will be very dull for me if I don't read Final Crisis. \:\(


> On the Marvel front, the most recent crossover with whatever that X-Men "chase the baby" thing was completely killed the flow of X-Factor - I pretty much couldn't even follow the damn thing (as I'm not reading most of the other x-books), and in under a year X-Factor has now plummetted from one of my top two books at Marvel to one that I'm on the knife's edge of dropping for good.


I don't understand how anyone thought Cable changing diapers was a compelling super-hero premise. Too bad PAD's book had to be used for that.


> And on the subject - if I were a reader of New or Mighty Avengers but not a reader of the rest of Marvel, I'd be dropping those books right about now.


I jumped onto New Avengers specifically because of Secret Invasion but I certainly see your point. Nothing could get me to buy Mighty Avengers unless and until the Sentry leaves the book. I can't believe Marvel is publishing a Sentry special in a couple months, and the awesome Jeff Parker is writing it - thereby forcing me to reject a Jeff Parker comic, something I find almost painful to do.


> It looks like they're going to be about six months each of Secret Invasion filler, with no Avengers appearing in them in that time.


How can they avoid having Avengers appear in them? Isn't practically everyone an Avenger? \:\)


> How many Avengers fans is _that_ going to alienate away from the books for good?


There's one consolation in this instance. Bendis writes the Avengers books and Bendis is writing Secret Invasion. People who tend to like Bendis's writing will probably be perfectly happy.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software