|Marvel Universe >> View Post|
Subj: the annoyance of the sentry, plus my personal sentry theory
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 at 02:54:37 pm EDT (Viewed 129 times)
Reply Subj: For all our hatred of The Sentry, we sure do talk about him lot...
Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 at 10:50:59 am EDT (Viewed 209 times)
I do seriously hate sentry in the main MU, which is odd as I enjoyed all three of his limited series.
The problem with sentry in the main MU is four fold.
1. HERE HE IS, LOVE HIM: Marvel had this odd problem for a few years. Instead of their usual method of annoyingly overhyping already popular characters they tried hyping characters no one likes hoping they can create artificial popularity. Sentry, Penance, The Order, Gamma Corps, Omega Flight, and Wraith were all titles or characters who got a dose of hype that didn't match fan feelings. Fans decide if the character is loved or not, not creators.
2. LETS REMOVE EVERYTHING THAT MADE HIM WORK: Their is a sort of hypocracy to the sentry. He was presented as the greatest hero ever who'd rise to any challenge even if it is himself in the past, but in the present he merely cowers, or worse, acts dangerous. Yet people still treat him as the greatest hero ever. I am sorry, saying a hero is the greatest does nothing, he has to show his greatness.
3. INCONSISTENT CHARACTERIZATION AND ORIGINS: So one book says sentry only does good and cannot do evil and him and the void counterbalance each other, in another sentry nearly destroys the world fighting the hulk. In one book he is given the sentry formula, in another it was a drug addict stealing it, in a third his powers were from a cosmic force from another universe or such. The voice can be his dark hallucinations come to life, or the gangster who absorbed him. People kept recreating sentry without caring for inconsistency.
4. LOOK OUT! VOID!: The constant fear of void from everyone is annoying. Where is the brave robert reynolds who faced down the void in that final stand in the original sentry. Instead everyone cowers around robert as if he is a loose cannon including robert himself. A threat that big should have been dealt with. What happened to the brave robert who confronted his dark side.
5. SENTRY WHO?: This inconsistance left alot of fans guessing as to who the sentry really was. After all such obvious gaps must be a puzzle to be solved right? Sadly his death (which was a good thing) left us unable to find out and likely rules it out. But guessing theories as to who he may be and why was fun. From the overdone beyonder theory, to my favorite one (sentry as franklin richards, i like that better than my own) to my own theory.
MY SENTRY THEORY
I am not sure if I said this, but my own theory on sentry is this. Sentry was robert reynolds, a heroic man dealing with rather depraved voices in his head. One day he got captured by the gangster who is the void who absorbed his powers. (as shown in age of the sentry).
Little did the gangster (whose name I forgot) know, Sentry's powers were tied to him completely so he absorbed not only the powers of robert but his body and mind as well. Thinking himself to be the sentry, with time this being could have eventually settled out his confused mental issues and maybe even seperated. But others intervened to change that. First The General has Mastermind capture Sentry and in this confused state merged Roberts depraved hallucinations with the gangsters personality. This created a more unstable and demented version of the void. the type likely to obliterate the earth and keep a dead cat around his lair.
The next things that happened was Reed Richards discovering sentry is the void and making "Robert" forget about sentry (and thus the void). Given how the void was originally a seperate entity this created a further division in Roberts mind which increased his insanity and forever kept his merged mental state from reaching a point of stability.
Instead of the personalities either seperating, or robert merging with the gangsters good aspects. It resulted in an inner imcompatibility and sense of self doubt and self conflict (which his knowledge of being the void magnified), That kept Robert from ever being sane and stable again.
If Robert/gangster didn't have their minds messed with they may have eventually reached a more stable state of being.
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows XP
|Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software|