Amazing Spider-Man Message Board >> View Post
Post By
Dr. Shallot

In Reply To
Mr Honey Bunny

Subj: Re: Why wouldn't they?
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 at 11:48:15 pm EDT (Viewed 1 times)
Reply Subj: Re: Why wouldn't they?
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 at 02:52:00 pm EDT (Viewed 1 times)

Previous Post


> > I think Loeb is more the kind of writer they are searching for on the flagship title.
>
> Why? For name recognition? To the best of my knowledge he hasn't blown away too many readers since taking over Wolverine, and let's face it, not too many new readers are going to say "Cool! A writer from Lost and Heroes has taken over Spider-man".
> >

But you can't also compare Wolverine to Spider-Man. You could compare his work on Superman or Batman. Wolverine has always been a second rate title IMO because Wolverine is loved by a lot of X-Men readers. It's been years I haven't read it, but I can remember that just during the fist 100 issues, only like 10 were worth it !

And, contrary to you, I do think name recognition and the fact he wrote on Lost, Smallville and Heroes is an important thing to bring in new readers. The industry works like that now.
Wolverine doesn't matter that much by now, X-Men 3 was last year, now it's Spider-Mania 3 !!
New readers will look at the comics after watching the movie, see it's a new writer, and that writer is also the one of the shows they are watching on TV ... that's the way it is.

No one is caring about Wolverine that much, it could be any writers on it, just because it's not Wolverine's time....heh, it's simple as that.

> > To make everyone happy, we could have Loeb on Amazing, Slott on sensational instead of Sacasa and keep PAD on FNSM.
>
> I like Sacasa on Senasational, although I know you are not his biggest fan. If Slott doesn't get Amazing the I'd rather have Peter David take over the flaghsip title.
>
>

I would prefer to see PAD instead of Sacasa, and have both Slott and Loeb.
Sacasa bored me to death for the last 6 months...

>
> > > I think Loeb is more the kind of writer they are searching for on the flagship title.
> >
> > Why? For name recognition? To the best of my knowledge he hasn't blown away too many readers since taking over Wolverine, and let's face it, not too many new readers are going to say "Cool! A writer from Lost and Heroes has taken over Spider-man".
> > >
>
> But you can't also compare Wolverine to Spider-Man. You could compare his work on Superman or Batman. Wolverine has always been a second rate title IMO because Wolverine is loved by a lot of X-Men readers. It's been years I haven't read it, but I can remember that just during the fist 100 issues, only like 10 were worth it !

Well, I haven't been a fan of Wolverine either, but I can't see how you can just exclude Loeb's work on Wolverine as a basis for comparison.
>
> And, contrary to you, I do think name recognition and the fact he wrote on Lost, Smallville and Heroes is an important thing to bring in new readers. The industry works like that now.

Still, I think if you were to poll any new reader on the identity of Jeph Loeb, the most common reply would be "who?". New readers are interested in the character, not necessarily the creator. Quality stories will keep the readers around, wether written by Jeph Loeb or the "unknown outside the comic world" Dan Slott. So while advertising the fact that a Hollywood writer is now on Spidey may bring in some new readers, it's not going to keep them around if the title sucks.

> Wolverine doesn't matter that much by now, X-Men 3 was last year, now it's Spider-Mania 3 !!
> New readers will look at the comics after watching the movie, see it's a new writer, and that writer is also the one of the shows they are watching on TV ... that's the way it is.

And then what? Will they say "well, if it's by a tv writer it has to be good!"? Since the movie will be a few months old by the time the creative team switch, it's up to JMS and Quesada to keep any new readers around anyway. Marvel has had a less than stellar level of success at capitalizing off movies.
>
> No one is caring about Wolverine that much, it could be any writers on it, just because it's not Wolverine's time....heh, it's simple as that.

Again, I don't see how you can make your argument by saying "no one cares about Wolverine". After Spidey he's perhaps Marvel's most recognizable face. There's a solo movie in the works. Guest appearances by the character drive up sales. Again, I could care less about the character, but you can't just dismiss Loeb's mediocre work on that title and say "Aw, that won't happen on Spider-man".
>

> >
> >
>
> I would prefer to see PAD instead of Sacasa, and have both Slott and Loeb.
> Sacasa bored me to death for the last 6 months...

I wouldn't object to Loeb on a spider-title either, but I just don't think that a writer with more cross-genre clout is the logical or "automatic" choice to succeed JMS as writer of Amazing.