Quote:I'm... saddened, that they have taken this route. I'm glad Phil is villainous - I can see the slide from Loners and I like alliance shifting character development (which is why Sandman is dead to me now). I don't see, however, why they killed off Kingsley. They could have selected anybody. Lefty Donovan had Hobgoblin formula - he could have returned from the grave a la Green Goblin, and then offer him up. Or even Secret War Hobgoblin. I would have gone with Secret War Hobgoblin being killed off - why not?
Quote:Then again, it's not the end of the story yet - maybe Kingsley is being manipulative. Then again, going by Marvel's track record...
Quote:I'll reserve judgment until story over, but if Kingsley is dead, my exceptionally brief flirtation with picking up a book again is dead before it begins. And I sincerely think now, it's the last.
who is running out of excuses.
This has struck me pretty hard, too. The Hobgoblin is one of the greatest villains in the history of the title and probably the one whose return fans have most wanted. I'll have to see how exactly this was executed some months from now when I read this book, and like you, I'll hope for an unexpected ending, but this seems like an awfully abrupt end to such a great character.
It kind of hearkens back to the philosophy the Spider-Man books followed early in the run-up to the Clone Saga, with new villains like Kaine killing old villains like Doctor Octopus and the Grim Hunter to prove how even more amazingly dangerous they are.
It's also a deliberate reversal of the Hobgoblin's first appearance, where the future Hobby is led to a Green Goblin stash by no-name loser Georgie Hill and then kills Hill so he alone can loot it.
- Omar Karindu
"For your information, I don't have an ego. My Facebook photo is a landscape."
- Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Tobias Funke · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:33:29 pm EST
- My Thoughts on Amazing Spider-Man #649 [Spoilers] · stillanerd · Sun Nov 28, 2010 at 01:21:51 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · MichiganWebhead · Sat Nov 27, 2010 at 07:58:16 am EST
- This was one of the best issues of the last 10 years [Spoilers] · esskay · Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 06:04:50 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · KaineParker · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 06:45:32 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Epidot · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 04:56:11 pm EST
- There's an easy "out" [SPOILERS] [Spoilers] · Pengi · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 01:57:59 pm EST
- An ode to the fallen [Spoilers] · Unstable Molecule · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 01:40:12 pm EST
- .....holy crap. [Spoilers] · The Green Ninjas · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:40:00 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Webline · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 07:21:42 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Anansi · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 07:17:19 pm EST
- Actually Phil Urich's state of mind was set up in the Loners mini. Spoilers.. [Spoilers] · Zevad · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 06:08:49 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Edward Whelan · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:46:35 pm EST