Quote:I'm sure there will be some who will say "just lighten up," but I do question using this type of humor in a book that is supposedly geared to, at minimum, 9 year-old kids.
You're pretty much on the same page as me for this issue, a rarity on this board since I greatly enjoyed 85% of BND-era stories.
But this comment stuck out to me. Yes, it was juvenille humor (which is to be expected from a writer like Slott), but it shouldn't be in a comic because it's DUMB and JUVENILLE. Not because "oh no think of the children"
Because not many children read comics. I'm guessing you subscribe to all your comics and have never gone to a comic book convention, specifically a comic book panel, or a comic book store. It's mostly white males with disposable income in their 20s and up.
Comic book publishers shouldn't have to worry about offending children because children aren't reading comics, except when specifically marketed to a younger audience (Marvel Adventures, Spider-Girl MC2, etc...).
Oh, I agree, Norah's joke about Randy's "endowment" certainly was dumb and juvenile (and it certainly hasn't been the only time Norah has said racially-charged comments). And I do understand that the vast majority of comics being read nowadays are by young adults as opposed to the "kids" they are supposedly being targeted at and I'm not opposed to having mature content in comics, either. However, it's pretty evident that, given the content of the issue (and some issues over the course of "Brand New Day" as well), I don't think it really seems like a comic that fits the "Rated A: ages 9 and up" category. Maybe the "T+ Teens and Up" which states "Appropriate for most readers 13 and up, parents are advised that they might want to read before or with younger children." But that's just me so feel free to disagree.
- Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Tobias Funke · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:33:29 pm EST
- My Thoughts on Amazing Spider-Man #649 [Spoilers] · stillanerd · Sun Nov 28, 2010 at 01:21:51 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · MichiganWebhead · Sat Nov 27, 2010 at 07:58:16 am EST
- This was one of the best issues of the last 10 years [Spoilers] · esskay · Fri Nov 26, 2010 at 06:04:50 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · KaineParker · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 06:45:32 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Epidot · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 04:56:11 pm EST
- There's an easy "out" [SPOILERS] [Spoilers] · Pengi · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 01:57:59 pm EST
- An ode to the fallen [Spoilers] · Unstable Molecule · Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 01:40:12 pm EST
- .....holy crap. [Spoilers] · The Green Ninjas · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:40:00 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Webline · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 07:21:42 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Anansi · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 07:17:19 pm EST
- Actually Phil Urich's state of mind was set up in the Loners mini. Spoilers.. [Spoilers] · Zevad · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 06:08:49 pm EST
- Re: Amazing #649 thoughts [Spoilers] · Edward Whelan · Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:46:35 pm EST