Quote:First, the Roy Thomas issues happened before Black Panther. So, we have contradicting depictions of Thor. But, the Black Panther issue by written by someone who had no idea about Thor's durability (and was in fact advised by Kurt Busiek). I think the Thor depiction by Roy Thomas, who has written Thor before, and one of the definitive writer of the character, carries greater weight than the Black Panther writer.
When Thomas wrote Thor before, he had Thor deflecting bullets (and arrows and spears) when they were used against him. On one of those occasions, this put innocents in danger and an officer was struck by a ricochet.
I don't believe Thor deflected bullets once in the second run, in which Thor claims Asgardians are bulletproof.
Quote:Second, the writer of Black Panther said that the artist goofed, and that the weapon was supposed to be high-tech, and the bullet was actually vibranium piercing. I do not know if that is true, but that is one of the explanations given.
I'm extremely dubious of that explanation. There wasn't anything in the issue, either art or words, to indicate a special bullet.
Quote:Third, the Black Panther issue caused such a controversy because up until that point, Thor was just accepted as bulletproof.
I think if you go through every issue of Thor prior to Thomas' second run, you'll find that isn't so.
Quote:Fourth, Thor didn't actually say that bullets are a threat to him. He just blocks them so he can be safe from them. Not that - "oooh, i must block them or else I am doomed". Knowing Stan Lee's writing style, he intended that more for effect than anything else.
He said it was fortunate he could keep them from striking him.
Quote:Fifth, there are enough issues by various writers supporting that Thor is bulletproof, so as far as I am concerned, i am already satisfied by that fact.
That's fine. I just ask you acknowledge there's evidence for both sides.
Quote:Sixth, Wonder Woman is a different character from Thor...so, it may be possible for her to be uber in other things except for bullets, but that does not necessarily follow for Thor, unless there is some sort of showing that he is allergic to bullets.
Agreed. But there is evidence for it.
Quote:Anyway, again, agree to disagree.
Yes, the explanation is not in printed form because the writer himself said that the artist goofed. It should have been rendered like it's a high-tech weapon and that it's a vibranium piercing bullet. That's what the writer said...again, I am not sure if it's true or not, it's just what he said in message boards.
I have gone through Thor's issues prior to Roy Thomas' second run, and I have never seen a bullet hurt him. The instances where he did deflect bullets are not that many because his adventures tend to be mosre cosmic than ordinary thugs with machine guns. But when bullets did do hit him, he was not injured. Basically, the only evidence I will consider is what is printed in comics. So, no, I do not consider the Black Panther writer's explanation in a message board (just said it to tell you that is the explanation he gave). But I do consider conflicting showings and try to harmonize them. Roy Thomas, one of the longest Thor scribes in the character's history, versus the Black Panther writer who didn't know about Thor's powers or durability (and had to ask KB), I give greater weight to Roy Thomas' depiction, of course.
- I'm kinda ticked off by this DISBELIEF that Thor is NOT bullet-proof... [Spoilers] · Oliva · Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 04:15:11 pm EST
- From the mouth of Stan himself.... [Spoilers] · jazzbass6 · Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 05:53:10 pm EST
- Lol, TG for evolving Characters. [Spoilers] · oceanside1 · Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 11:22:59 am EST
- Re: I'm kinda ticked off by this DISBELIEF that Thor is NOT bullet-proof... [Spoilers] · Doc Boomstick · Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 10:33:44 am EST
- From various sources (Marvel Database, Official Handbooks, etc...) [Spoilers] · jazzbass6 · Sun Dec 18, 2011 at 01:03:37 pm EST
- Re: I'm kinda ticked off by this DISBELIEF that Thor is NOT bullet-proof... [Spoilers] · JesusFan · Thu Dec 15, 2011 at 06:40:23 pm EST
- Re: Why is it so easy to accept that Thor is invulnerable to a gaggle of things... [Spoilers] · Aang · Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 04:30:57 pm EST
- I don't think there is a conspiracy, but I do agree with the statement that the editor hates to admit to being wrong. [Spoilers] · Cyrus · Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 02:48:43 pm EST
- Although I do feel for what you are saying, dude, a piece of advise, give the conspiracy theory a rest. [Spoilers] · Mighty_Thor · Tue Dec 13, 2011 at 04:00:06 pm EST
- Re: I'm kinda ticked off by this DISBELIEF that Thor is NOT bullet-proof... [Spoilers] · Blacky · Tue Dec 13, 2011 at 01:23:01 pm EST
- Ditto. · Brizelli · Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 06:07:57 pm EST
- Re: I'm kinda ticked off by this DISBELIEF that Thor is NOT bullet-proof... [Spoilers] · Jonathanos · Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 04:59:39 pm EST